Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to CHIL EagleCAM. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Gulls harassing eagles; Why eagles are bullied
Topic Started: Aug 14 2016, 01:08 PM (439 Views)
Rosemarye
Advanced Member
If gulls are divebombing the eagle pair, why can't an eagle just take out a gull, like when you said there was a battle between the golden eagle and the bald eagle and eagles can kill one another with their talons? In British Columbia I used to see crows chasing eagles away.
Seems like other birds can bully eagles.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Eagle Guy
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
Smaller birds are more agile in flight than bald eagles, so can avoid being attacked. Bald eagles usually kill gulls when the gulls are on the water.

Rosemarye
Advanced Member
When eagles kill gulls, do they eat them?
In British Columbia the crows were merciless against eagles. There was such a big commotion in the forest. Thanks for your contributions on this site. Really gets a person thinking a lot about eagles.

Eagle Guy
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
Yes, besides fish, gulls are one of the major food sources for our eagles.

Rosemarye
Advanced Member
I saw the Audubon video of an eagle swooping in to snatch a fledgling osprey out of the nest while a sibling looked on in horror and another one took its first flight out of fear and desperation.
Pretty dramatic. Seen the eagles in SC plucking feathers off a bird to feed the kids. Do eagles eat their prey when still alive or do they kill them first? Audubon video interesting but I have to admit I didn't like watching it.

« Previous Topic · What are your questions? · Next Topic »
Add Reply