Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to CHIL EagleCAM. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Colored leg bands; Do older eagles also have them?
Topic Started: Nov 4 2016, 09:20 AM (276 Views)
JudyB
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
Good morning, Dr. Sharpe and all -

I know that several youngsters in the last few years have been given a colored leg band as well as the "official" silver band, generally because they were too young for wing tags ("MeToo" from the West End nest in 2012 comes to mind, and I think there were a couple this year), and I believe you now have authorization to put colored bands on eaglets from all the islands, not just Catalina. And I have three questions.

1) Are all the chicks you band getting colored bands now? I noticed there were bands displayed in the video from Sauces Canyon for this year, and it sounds like a great idea, and will help us know who is who a few years from now when the wing tags start to come off.

2) Do many of the adults have colored bands? I had not realized until this year that male K01 from West End has what looks like an orange band 6H (and until fairly recently we didn't have cameras that could zoom in like that - love it!) - and that made me wonder how many others also have colored bands.

3) Is there some public place where everyone can find a list of who has which band (color and number)?

Thanks,
Judy
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Eagle Guy
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
Yes, all the chicks we band now should get the orange leg bands. Most of the Catalina birds received the orange bands between 1989 and 2001. I don't have a public list of the birds' band numbers. I don't know if there is a list on the Forum.

JudyB
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
Thanks, Dr. Sharpe!

Eagle Duo
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
Pat/Cumbrian has been putting the leg band #'s in the Wing-Bling Reference Charts under AEATT as we find them.

JudyB
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
Thanks, Jann!

« Previous Topic · What are your questions? · Next Topic »
Add Reply