Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to CHIL EagleCAM. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Beak/mouth size and gender in eaglets
Topic Started: Apr 5 2017, 06:49 PM (128 Views)
Shel
In adult eagles the females have longer beaks/mouths (I know there is a more scientific way to say this..but I think you will know what I mean). Does this show up in juvenile eagles and if so, when. My real question being, can you look at a young eaglet and, based upon the beak to head size ratio, or how far back the end of the beak goes, make a good guess as to gender?

Or....does this come much later?

Thank you for any information! :<<o>>:
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Eagle Guy
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
We generally determine the sex of the eagles by the depth of the beak (top to bottom). This can be determined in birds that are 7-8 weeks old. Males tend to be less than 32 mm and females greater than 32 mm. I'm not sure about the mouth length you mention. I know there was a video to describe the difference between the male and female at Decorah, but that is only specific to that pair and not eagles in general.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

« Previous Topic · What are your questions? · Next Topic »
Add Reply