Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to CHIL EagleCAM. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Santa Rosa Island; April 11-18, 2017
Topic Started: Apr 17 2017, 07:21 PM (383 Views)
IWS Crew
Advanced Member
Welcome back, birders! This week on Santa Rosa Island, weíve been observing some exciting progress in the Lopez eagle nest. The chick was much more active this week: sitting up alone, moving about the nest, and even flapping its little fluffy wings. The chick is still grey in color and was camouflaged well in the nest. You can see it below if you look carefully to the left of the adult:

Posted Image

Unfortunately, we havenít been as lucky with the Trap Canyon eagles. When we visited them earlier this week, neither adult was at the nest. We went back later in the week and couldnít find them again. We checked out their nest to see if there was any sign of why they may have abandoned the site.

Posted Image

The nest is on the far right and seems to be in pretty good condition. We arenít sure why they failed in their first nesting attempt, however we are hopeful they try again this season. This seems to be a pattern for this pair of eagles, with only having nesting success every other year.

The rest of our attention this week went to the peregrines. We have four pairs in incubation and a few others still in courtship phase.

Here is one of the eyries. This pair of peregrines decided to nest in an old stick nest:

Posted Image

However, peregrines donít require a nest structure. They usually will lay eggs on a bare cliff, or just make a small scraped out depression in the substrate on the bottom of a cliff ledge. Like this:
Posted Image

Even at the sites where the peregrines hadnít begun to incubate, they were still active. We watched many birds hunting and perching in their territories:
Posted Image

The rest of the animals on the island seem to be doing well too:
Posted Image

With all abundance of rain Santa Rosa has received this year, weíve been seeing mallards more frequently than in the past:
Posted Image

Here are some harbor seals that caught our attention:
Posted Image

Posted Image

Thanks for checking in on the island again this week. In order to keep our project running, we need your continued support. Remember that our Nest Adoption Challenge is still happening and that you can find out more about it here:Support IWS
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

river
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
Thank you, for the Great Update!

klemon
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
Super update. Thanks for all you do. Liked the peregrine nest on sticks . Maybe their chicks won't fall out so easily. All the pictures were beautiful.

Kathy
Southern Illinois ^"^ :flying: <3

torreycat
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
Thanks for the eagle & peregrine news, Crew! What a cute eaglet at Lopez, it's quite big already. And I'm thinking the Trap Cyn pair have made a huge mistake leaving that nest -- what a gorgeous view! (Really, I hope you can locate them and that all is well with them.)

Love the peregrine nest images -- the stick nest is very interesting, seems chicks would be safer from elements and predators than the plain old scrape on the edge of a cliff!

Sweet little island fox -- at first I thought it was a squirrel, which seemed like an odd thing for you to photograph and post! :TF: Of course, mallards and harbor seals are welcome sights, too.

Stay safe out there!

PearlBailey
Advanced Member
That little fox photo takes the cake! Thank you for the news and views from Santa Cruz this week! :hatch:

Shel
Thank you for everything you and your crew do...love all the photos and newsy updates...I share your adventurous life style with my students , i.e., we look at your videos and discuss what kind of training that might take for a scientist, in case they'd like to become field biologists.

I am sorry for all the travails you have had with the eagle cams this year, but am very glad that you seem to have the Bald Canyon cam back on for now. Yay!

IWS Rocks in our Channel Islands! All of you viewers out there, please support them so they can continue their vital work!

« Previous Topic · IWS Updates · Next Topic »
Add Reply