Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to CHIL EagleCAM. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
San Miguel Island; April 11-18, 2017
Topic Started: Apr 19 2017, 02:19 PM (339 Views)
IWS Crew
Advanced Member
Greetings again from San Miguel Island! It was a productive week. I visited all the peregrine falcon territories and some areas in between. Five peregrine falcon pairs are now incubating. Next time Iím here, I expect to see some chicks!

Here are some photos and videos from the week:

The Hoffman nest is hidden behind some still blooming coreopsis. The adults are completely hidden inside when they are incubating. I only get to see them when they are entering or leaving the nest. I captured a quick photo of the female at the nest entrance.

Posted Image

The Hoffman male was perched above the nest while the female incubated.

Posted Image

The Science birds were not incubating when I visited this week, but a pair spent time in and close to the nest and copulated, so Iím hopeful they will be incubating next time I visit. The female in the photo below is quite light in color, more brown than gray. I'm thinking this might be a new, younger female as I did not note the female being so brown the last time I visited (adults are usually more gray with a black mask, whereas this bird has more brown coloration on the body and head, typical of a second-year bird).

Posted Image

Posted Image

There are no peregrines nesting at the historic Cardwell Point territory; however, I often see a peregrine or two cruising through the area whenever I visit, including the young peregrine in the photo below. Cardwell has a nice long, wide, sandy beach which makes it a popular spot for foraging peregrines.

Posted Image

I spent one afternoon searching for peregrines (and eagles!) along a section of the southwest coast of San Miguel Island between the Science and Crook Point territories. Lots of little nooks and crannies in there. I did see a few peregrines, but I think one was a Science bird and one was a Crook bird. No new territories were found.

Posted Image

A group from the Santa Barbara Botanical Garden visited the island one afternoon during the week to do some botanizing. Hereís a photo of the plane that flew them out to the island parked close to the ranger station (where I stay when I'm on the island) and a short video of it taking off on a typical, windy afternoon.

Posted Image

http://vid111.photobucket.com/albums/n133/...zpsckvj2vdn.mp4

While observing the Prince Island peregrines, a pair of black oystercatchers were foraging for mussels in front of me and I captured a video of one plucking a mussel off of a rock and flying off with it.

http://vid111.photobucket.com/albums/n133/...zpsqylosk8z.mp4

As a reminder, the IWS Nest Adoption Challenge is now on! Contribute at:http://www.iws.org/support.html

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

klemon
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
Hope new peregrines are welcome. lol Beautiful Pictures and videos. Thanks for all IWS and crew do.

Kathy
Southern Illinois <3

PearlBailey
Advanced Member
It sounds like a peregrine haven out there on San Miguel! Thanks so much for taking us along with some wonderful photos and vids.

« Previous Topic · IWS Updates · Next Topic »
Add Reply