Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to CHIL EagleCAM. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
San Miguel Island; April 25 - May 2, 2017
Topic Started: May 3 2017, 07:58 AM (484 Views)
IWS Crew
Advanced Member
This week on San Miguel Island started with gale force winds and ended with hot, still weather. You have to be prepared for anything and everything here!

Regardless of the weather, I was able to visit all the peregrine falcon territories and even some spots in between. The Crook Point peregrines now have nestlings! I was not able to get a photo because the chick (or chicks) is so small, but I did see the male bring the female a food item and the female brought it to the nest and proceeded to feed it to at least one small white fluff ball. I expect more chicks next time and will attempt to get some photos to share.

In addition to visiting known territories, we also visit the gaps in between to search for additional peregrines. One of the areas I visited this week was the section of the island where I saw an immature bald eagle earlier in the season. I was rewarded with another sighting of a bald eagle and this time I got its ID and photos! The bird was far off so the photos are not great, but I was able to confirm it is A-56. This is the same bird I saw several times last spring so it appears to be quite comfortable here. I watched it fly out over the ocean and catch a fish. When it brought it back to shore, it landed in the dunes to eat its catch and quickly attracted the attention of about 20 common ravens!

Here’s a view of A-56 perched on the hillside before it went fishing.

Posted Image

A-56 perched in the dunes with its fish as the ravens start to show up.

Posted Image

A-56 drew a large crowd of ravens.

Posted Image

A-56 seems to like the Otter Harbor area.

Posted Image

As I hiked back to the main trail, I passed an impressive dune. Here it is with a view of Otter Harbor in the distance.

Posted Image

I also hiked along the southeast coast of the island, ending up at Cardwell Point. Cardwell is a popular spot with marine mammals, like these elephant seals.

Posted Image

I hiked along the beach one morning to the Prince Island observation point; lots of cool things to see in the tide pools and at the water’s edge.

Posted Image

Posted Image

As a reminder, the IWS Nest Adoption Challenge is now on! Contribute at:http://www.iws.org/support.html

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

PearlBailey
Advanced Member
Talk about a crowd! A-56 sure knows how to attract one. Thanks for all the beautiful photos of San Migul and the work you do. >)): :flying:

klemon
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
Wow! what a crowd of ravens. Maybe a female will meet him out flying some day and there will be a new Pair. Thanks for the wonderful pictures and everything you all do

Kathy
Southern Illinois

patsgreenthumb
Advanced Member
Thank you for the photos of A56 (Phoenix) I had the honor to name him in 2015 and have been wondering how he was doing. He looks terrific. :D

sunnyland7
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
IWS -
Nice photos / Good luck with you peregrines /
Hike safe out there /

kathieov13
Advanced Member
Fantastic report and photos. Poor A-56! I'd like Otter Harbor also; just gorgeous.

KarenTX
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
Thank you for a great update and beautiful pictures! I enjoyed it very much and appreciate all your hard work! <3

torreycat
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
Cool, A56/Phoenix has found his home (and a raven fanbase)! And I see he hatched on SCI -- son of A68 (Braveheart), grandson of K10 & K26. Fantastic!

Your landscape pictures are just gorgeous -- I could gaze at Cardwell Point all day, the colors of the water and cliffs, and elephant seals! Love the anemone & crab, too!

Thanks for sharing your lovely island with us! Happy trails!

« Previous Topic · IWS Updates · Next Topic »
Add Reply