Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to CHIL EagleCAM. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Santa Rosa Update; May 21-26, 2017
Topic Started: May 29 2017, 10:47 AM (459 Views)
IWS Crew
Advanced Member
Hello birders, welcome back to Santa Rosa Island's eagle and falcon world. This was a relatively calm week weather-wise with some beautiful (and sometimes hard to see through) fog formations.

Posted Image

Our young peregrines are growing up so fast. The Water Canyon eyrie which previously had 2 eggs now has one very small chick with an egg that should hatch any minute beside it. The adults were very active and vocal with their new youngster in the nest and I watched the adult feed the nestling several times within an hour.

Posted Image

Next up we have 3 new nestlings in the Bee Rock eyrie that look about a week old. They lay down for the most part making it difficult to see them but all three perked up during feeding time for a solid head count.

At our Lopez eagle nest in Trancion Canyon, the eaglet is doing well and still hanging out in the nest. The adults were very vocal this week and gave some good photo ops while I was there. The eaglet is looking more and more like an eagle everyday, but likes to hide behind some branches in the nest.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Nearby at Trancion canyon the 2 peregrine chicks are much bigger and very active. Their flight feathers are starting to come in and they are hopping and flapping all over the eyrie ledge.

Posted Image

This week ended with a bang when I finally found the Sandy Point territory that we have been searching for all season. They moved quite far down the coast towards Bee Rock and did not share my joy in finding their secret nesting area. The male is extremely defensive at this site and made sure that I did not get too close to the eyrie by diving and swooping mere inches from me. Although I could not pinpoint the exact location of this eyrie, I have high hopes for this pair and will make it my mission to get the full story next tour.

Posted Image

Thank you for checking in on our project and remember to check out our
Nest Adoption Challenge for the opportunity to donate to our efforts. We appreciate your ongoing support!

Posted Image

Posted Image
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

torreycat
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
Once again, beautiful pics of a beautiful island and its inhabitants. Is it my imagination or are peregrines way more distrustful of intruders than eagles? They always look so mad! :unsure: The foxes, on the other hand, pretty much always look happy. Anyway, I'm glad to know all the young ones are thriving, and still more to come!

klemon
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
What a wonderful report and the photos were lovely. Can't help but love the little fox. They are just so cute . Thanks for all you do.

Kathy
Southern Illinois :^: <3 and stay safe

sunnyland7
Member Avatar
Advanced Member

IWS Crew,
Great report /
Successful season /beautiful scenery /
Am glad to see the post / Had difficulty seeing some of the nests
on the All nests sites /
Keep up the good work and Keep safe /