Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to CHIL EagleCAM. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
San Miguel Island; May 23-30, 2017
Topic Started: May 31 2017, 12:37 PM (352 Views)
IWS Crew
Advanced Member
Thereís a lot of good news and a little bit of bad news from San Miguel Island this week. Iíll get the bad news over with first; the Carbon peregrine falcon nest failed. When I first visited the Carbon area, the female spent some time inside the nest but she scraped and circled in such an aggressive manner I was sure there were no chicks in there. I watched for several hours with no sign of chicks. I revisited the area later in the week and searched above and below the nest; still no sign of chicks. The adults did scold me as I approached their nest, but were not as aggressive as Iíd expect them to be if there were nestlings present.

Posted Image

The Carbon female perched at the entrance to the nest.

Posted Image

The Carbon adults perched on the dune above the nest.

On to the good news Ė the Crook peregrine falcon nest has four 4-week old chicks! Crook fledged four chicks last year too. Thatís a productive nest! Must be a good territory and good parents!

Hereís a photo of the four chicks lined up at the entrance to the nest.

Posted Image

The Crook female flew over me at one point before going hunting for food for her chicks.

Posted Image

The good news continues at Bat Rock and Hoffman. Both have one chick. Hoffman may have more than one as the nest is quite deep and I cannot see far into it, but I saw one fluffy white head so can confirm there is at least one chick in there. The Bat Rock and Hoffman chicks are about 2 weeks old.

Here is the Bat Rock female brooding her chick (the chick is underneath the female and cannot be seen in the photo).

Posted Image

And here is one of the Hoffman females at the entrance to her nest.

Posted Image

I spent a day hiking along the north shore of the island in search of bald eagle A-56, but I did not see any eagles. I did see a lot of California sea lions on the beach at Otter Harbor. Their pupping season is just getting started and I saw some wee little newborns snuggled close to their moms.

Posted Image

I searched for the sea otters at the west end of the island again, but did not find those. I did see three blue whales though, so that made up for not seeing otters!

One afternoon, as I watched the Carbon nest, I spotted a tall ship crossing the Santa Barbara Channel toward San Miguel Island. Later, I saw it anchored in the harbor below the ranger station. It turns out the ship is a replica of the San Salvador, the ship the explorer Juan Rodriguez Cabrillo sailed up and down the California coast and around the Channel Islands in 1542. It was so amazing to see the ship anchored in the harbor. I made a point to hike along the trail and visit the nests that would afford me the best views of the ship while it was anchored there. The passengers came ashore and the Park Ranger took them on a guided hike to the Cabrillo monument. An historic event! As I watched the ship sail away across the channel it took me back in time.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

JoJo
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
Sad news on the Carbon nest, great news on the Crook nest. :><:

Love seeing those old schooners, they are so beautiful.

Thank you

JudyB
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
Thanks for the update - and I love the picture of the four chicks at Crook. Sorry to hear that the Carbon nest failed, but happy that the others are productive. And I also love old and old-style ships.

river
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
Thanks for the update.
How cool is that to see that ship!

PearlBailey
Advanced Member
The photo of the four Crook young 'uns all lined up...priceless! :D Thanks for your work throughout the season!

marshaz
Advanced Member
IWS Crew, thank you for the update and all the work you do.

kathieov13
Advanced Member
Wonderful update. How nice to see sea lion puppies; I've only seen the newborn elephant seals up by San Simeon. So glad you saw the replica San Salvadore. It came up to Channel Islands harbor in Oxnard last year to dock and we got to see it. Much nicer sailing free.

kathieov13
Advanced Member
Love the chicks lined up.

klemon
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
What an incredible update. The 4 Peregrine chicks are precious. The ship is also very nice. Thanks for all you do.

Kathy Lemon
Southern Illinois :^: <3 :<<o>>: <3

« Previous Topic · IWS Updates · Next Topic »
Add Reply