Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to CHIL EagleCAM. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Santa Rosa Island; June 6-13, 2017
Topic Started: Jun 12 2017, 10:40 PM (461 Views)
IWS Crew
Advanced Member
Welcome back to Santa Rosa Island! This week we got up close and personal with the baby peregrines for banding. As soon as we arrived we headed out to Krumholtz and climbed down to the eyrie. We adorned two male chicks with their new bands and recorded their measurements as data. They were just over 3 weeks old and still quite fluffy but are beginning to develop traces of flight feathers on their outer wings and tail.

Posted Image

Posted Image
Oh no, the peregrines got Jim!

The next day we went out to the west end of the island to band 3 chicks in the Bee Rock eyrie. Jim repeled down to the eyrie and we successfully banded 3 more males who were also just over 3 weeks old. The female was very defensive and we quickly returned her chicks to the eyrie safe and sound. I went back to check on them a few days later and in just a few days they have much more developed feathers and are actively hopping around in the eyrie.

Posted Image
This little male was slightly smaller and more calm than his two brothers and likely hatched a couple days after them.

After Bee Rock, we headed down the road to Sandy Point to search for the new peregrine eyrie. Lucky for us, we found it pretty quickly from some major clues from the adults - and there was a chick inside!

Posted Image

She was a female at exactly 3 weeks old and already very feisty. She was sleeping and had been recently fed with a full crop when Jim first repelled down to the eyrie. She received her two leg bands and measurements, and we set her back in the eyrie in time to watch the sun set over the water.

In our search for the eyrie we stumbled upon a rocky intertidal area covered in fossils! There was a clear distinction between rock layers with bursts of preserved life millions of years apart.

Posted Image

For the rest of the week, I checked on the remainder of our nests and returned to the eyries we banded to make sure the chicks were getting along well and growing closer to fledging. When checking on the eagle nest, the female (A43) followed me all the way from my ATV several miles down to the viewpoint for the nest. After a couple hours a peregrine darted into the scene and began diving at the female eagle. She would flip over in the air and stick her talons up towards the peregrine as it swooped and hovered above her.

Posted Image

Although I could not find the eagle fledgling, the females behavior indicated that she is in the territory - so look out for A07 if you're out on the island!

This was my last tour for the season and I am sad to leave this beautiful island, but it has been a blessing to be here and watch these amazing birds. Thank you for stopping by and sticking with us for the season! It has been a wonderful success and we appreciate your continued support. Bird on!

Posted Image
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

PearlBailey
Advanced Member
Lily, thanks for a terrific update! Those peregrine chicks are adorable. Thank you for your hard work throughout this season. Santa Rosa is such a special place and I'm sure you're taking great memories with you. :<<o>>:

river
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
Thank you for the fabulous update.
the young peregrine is soo cute and fuzzy.
Poor Jim... rofl

sunnyland7
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
IWS,
Fantastic report !
Peregrine chicks so cute!!!!S
Successful season!!!!
Thank you for all your work / Keep safe out there /

klemon
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
Sorry to see you go Lily. Thanks for the reports and wonderful photos of the young peregrines and everything else. Have a great summer.

Kathy
Southern Illinois <3 :}^

kathieov13
Advanced Member
Wonderful update Lily; good luck in your future endeavors.
Peregrine chicks are larger than I imagined; so cute and fluffy.

« Previous Topic · IWS Updates · Next Topic »
Add Reply