Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Da Wrestling Board. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
WrestleMania IV Review
Topic Started: Feb 9 2018, 06:21 PM (62 Views)
HeenanandMonsoon
Member Avatar
dWb Superstar
[ *  *  * ]
Your Hosts: Gorilla Monsoon and Jesse Ventura

20 man battle royal for a trophy- Run of the mill battle royal here. Bob Uecker on commentary made the match for me. Bad News Brown eliminates Bret Hart after a double cross which would kick start the face turn for the Harts which would be completed the Summer.

Ted Dibiase vs Jim Duggan- Mid-South anyone? Not a bad match here for the short time they were given. Dibiase with the win after interference from Andre The Giant. $$$ talks!!

Don Muraco vs Dino Bravo- Just a basic power man match here. Muraco wins by DQ after Bravo throws the ref into a forearm. Next...

Ricky Steamboat vs Greg Valentine- Best match of round 1 and quite possibly the whole tournament here. When you got two solid workers you're definitely in for a treat. This was the Dragon's last hurrah in the WWF until 1991. Hammer with win after rolling though a Steamboat crossbody with some pulling of the tights. A miscarriage of justice indeed!!

Randy Savage vs Butch Reed- Reed was in control most of the match until the Savage come backs for the win with the flying elbow. Reed would leave the WWF pretty much right after this event.

One Mang Gang vs Bam Bigelow- I like both guys but Thank God it was kept short. OMG wins when Bigelow is counted out even though he was on the apron. Bigelow would be gone by the Summer which is a shame as I thought his face run had potential.

Infamous Hulkster interview as he talks about Donald Trump and his Plaza falling into the ocean. It's odd and awesome all at the same time. WHATCHA GONNA DO!!??

Rick Rude vs Jake Roberts- A very long and boring match which is surprising considering who's in it. The crowd was very restless with this match that's for sure. This would be the start of their feud which would last until the fall. Nobody wins here as the time limited expires. Both are eliminated.
Hogan,Andre,Savage,Dibiase,OMG,Muraco,Valentine all advance to round 2!

Hercules vs Ultimate Warrior- Another match thankfully kept short. This was a breather match for the fans before the 2nd round. Warrior wins by falling on top of Hercules for the pin ala Bret/Austin at SSeries 96.

We get a great recap for Hogan/Andre. One of the best built feuds ever in my book.

Andre The Giant vs Hulk Hogan- Andre was near the end by this point but the match is still watchable. Both guys get DQed for using a chair even though Hogan used the chair 1st. Again for the names in the match it makes this match passable.

Ted Dibiase vs Don Muraco- No Virgil here as he was suplexed on the floor by Hogan in the last match. For a 5 minute match it was ok. Dibiase with the hotshot for the win.

Randy Savage vs Greg Valentine- The only other match to come close to Hammer/Dragon. Good stuff here in the about 6 minutes they were given. Savage with the roll up for the win. DIG IT!!

Savage,Dibiase, OMG(with a buy) are the last 3.

Honky Tonk Man vs Brutus Beefcake for the IC Title- Another boring match here. DQ finish when Jimmy Hart knocks out the ref. He would get a haircut for his troubles after the match.

Andre/Bob Uecker interview up next. If you haven't see this YouTube it. Priceless.

Heenan/Islanders vs Bulldogs/Koko B Ware- run of the mill 6 man here mostly for comedy purposes. Being a Heenan fan pretty much my whole life I marked out when he got the winning pin.

Randy Savage vs One Man Gang- Another match really short and for good reason. Everybody knew what the finals would be at this point. Savage wins by DQ after OMG uses Slick's cane.

Demolition vs Strike Force for the WWF Tag Titles- Good power vs speed match here. Demolition wins the belts here and would hold them a good year and a half. Can't beat 80s tag wrestling.

Randy Savage vs Ted Dibiase for the WWF World Title- these two always had great chemistry together and it shined through here. Savage with the flying elbow for the win. The post match celebration was so well done. Overall just a great feel good moment to end the show.

Final thoughts: This Mania is LONG but if you're a fan of the era and tournaments(like me) then definitely give it a watch. Seeing Randy Savage win the big one is worth it IMO. Verdict: Recommended

Posted Image

Founder of the Humanoid Nation Community on PSN

Posted Image
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Scrooge McSuck
I'll get you next time, toilet!
[ *  *  * ]
Bam Bam vs. Gang might be THE WORST FINISH in Mania history. How do you count someone out while they are on the apron and getting pounded on?!

If you crunch the numbers, only 4 of the participants in the tournament did clean jobs: Steamboat, Valentine, Reed, and Muraco. We had 4 DQ's, 1 CO, 2 Draws, and 2 falls via shenanigans.
Posted Image

Erick Von Erich
Member Avatar
I'm Big E and I tell it like it is
[ *  *  * ]
It's a common misconception, but Rude/Roberts did not start their feud at WrestleMania IV. The Cheryl Roberts angle was taped in late April and not shown on TV until mid-May. It was a nice coincidence that they had an non-decision in their WM4 bout, but it never played into the feud.

The first week or two after WM4, Roberts actually had some "Events Center" interviews where he was targeting Harley Race. Only other concrete evidence of Race/Roberts was a house show in April, where they were billed to face each other, but Greg Valentine was the substitute for Race. Although he had worked hurt up to WMIV, Race's injury became serious and they had to scuttle plans for Race/Roberts. Rude/Roberts worked out much better, though.

This is an old discussion that's been beaten to death on the Internets: but I also don't buy that the original plan was to have DiBiase win the tournament. I don't see how they could spend 2-3 months with DiBiase bothering Hogan, then coming out on top, in the end. If anything, it seemed like Bam Bam Bigelow might win. Macho Man was a fine selection to win, and the whole connection with Hogan only helped matters.
<!---Hit Paydirt with K-Dirt--->
DWS Apparel Store- Buy. Consume. Obey.

HeenanandMonsoon
Member Avatar
dWb Superstar
[ *  *  * ]
I do vaguely remember his promos on facing Harley Race. It's odd they just didn't just jump right into the feud with Rude considering the Mania finish.

They did a nice transition though from his feud with Rude to the feud with Andre. I enjoyed pretty much all Jake's feuds from 88-92(minus the BNB feud...sewer rats ugghhhh)

Founder of the Humanoid Nation Community on PSN

Posted Image

Erick Von Erich
Member Avatar
I'm Big E and I tell it like it is
[ *  *  * ]
The transition from Roberts/Rude to Roberts/Andre was very well done. One of the more seamless angles they did. Roberts clearly won the feud and nailed the DDT, but Rude didn't eat the pinfall loss and didn't look like a chump. Total time between feuds: less than a minute!

Jake's feuds were usually well booked, had lots of angles and incidents, and were always presented as a Big Deal. You could argue that Jake didn't need a title belt, because his feuds were top-notch. He was probably #3 or #4 in terms of booking importance.

Yeah, the Bad News stuff was forgettable. I'm not a fan of the blindness Martel feud, but it wouldn't have worked for anybody else. Jake totally threw himself into it and played it very seriously (like the promo where he removes his glasses and says things will come up "snake-eyes" for Martel). I don't see them getting the same reaction with someone like Big Bossman in the role.
Edited by Erick Von Erich, Feb 12 2018, 08:53 AM.
<!---Hit Paydirt with K-Dirt--->
DWS Apparel Store- Buy. Consume. Obey.

Scrooge McSuck
I'll get you next time, toilet!
[ *  *  * ]
Roberts is probably my all time favorite promo and angle guy from the era, yet is way down the list for the wrestling portion. I can watch the promos all day, every day, but I have no desire in most of the matches. Considering WWF TV at the time was all about talking you into the live events, I cans at Roberts did his job well. A solid semi-Main Event guy who, as mentioned, didn't need to fight for a belt to make you care about what he was doing.
Posted Image

« Previous Topic · Reviews and Columns · Next Topic »
Add Reply