Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Da Wrestling Board. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
What movies have you watched today?; As in whatever day you read this...
Topic Started: Jan 27 2005, 11:21 PM (53,647 Views)
Erick Von Erich
Member Avatar
I'm Big E and I tell it like it is
[ *  *  * ]
Tiger Raid
A weird Irish flick about two mercenaries, out to do a kidnapping in the Middle East. It's basically a three person cast, and the first 60 minutes is the two main characters (Joe and Paddy) driving an army cargo truck, saying "fuck" a lot, and talking about their past relationships. There's also the mysterious "Dave", who's the boss behind the whole thing; yet never seen.

A few twists arrive and the 65 minute mark with the introduction of the third character... and you're kinda' flip-flopping on which character is in the right. So it was interesting in that regard, but overall seemed melodramatic. I say this about a LOT of movies, but this would've been great as a short film. As a 90 minute feature it's quite bad.
DWS Apparel Store- Buy. Consume. Obey.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Erick Von Erich
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
All over the place with this post:

Black Panther
I'll agree with the consensus opinion that it's pretty good. While there are little connections to the larger Marvel U, they are miniscule and don't burden or affect the plot. All you need to know is that T'challa's dad was killed in a bombing; not that it was in "Civil War" or that T'challa was after Bucky in that movie. This is basically a self-contained and accessible superhero flick. You can kinda' predict the outcome, but there are very few slow parts. Lots of cool visuals, entertaining characters and action. There's even an underlying and positive SOCIAL COMMENTARY. Can't ask for more.

Ingrid Goes West
An indie "dark comedy" with Aubrey Plaza (aka: "April Ludgate from Parks & Rec")...only without her usual sarcasm. It's essentially a 90 minute commercial for Instagram as that plays a huge part in the story and eventual resolution. Nothing really funny or thought-provoking, despite the movie's efforts to do so.

I did like one scene where they go to some hipster restaurant and the waiter says: "how may I nourish you, today". Oh, and O'Shea Jackson ("Ice Cube Junior") is in it, as a guy obsessed with 1995's "Batman Forever". Funny because it's so off-beat.

Surviving Bigfoot
I love the concept of Bigfoot/Sasquatch and it usually fascinates me. Yet, this is done by a guy with a history of hoaxes and resembles "Blair Witch Project" more than anything else. The opening segment is hilarious as the guy talks about his "skillset", which is like a Boy Scout reading off his merit badges. He also likes to drive around in one of those amphibious Argo ATVs and use drones. Of course, every time he tries to film a Sasquatch, he runs out of film storage, his camera is kicked away or some other excuse.

He also makes animated maps of where each Sasquatch roams... which no real rhyme or reason, other than He Knows This! He tries for a signature scene with a self-camera shot at night: "when you're out here-- you can Feel the Fear (tm)!" Imagine if Dwight Schrute (the character, not the actor) had one of those reality outdoor survival shows...there ya' go.

Erick Von Erich
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
Detroit
Yeah, it's about as uplifting as a colonoscopy. Focusing primarily on the Aligers Motel incident of the 1967 Detroit Riots-- which may be considered a dirty secret to some (my Old Lady had no idea the riots even happened). It basically becomes a real-life horror movie, in the middle section of the film.

The ending condenses all the various trials of the incident into one. One character, Melvin Dismukes (John Boyega, aka "Finn"), probably deserves an entire movie of his own. Boyega does his best Denzel impression in several scenes and it works. At first I thought another character, Larry Reed Cleveland, was added for dramatic purposes... so I was shocked to discover that he was real.

This is a very troubling movie, but one that you should see.

Erick Von Erich
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
Death Race 2050 (2016)
Either an update, sequel, or re-boot of the original 70's flick. It's billed as 1 of the 3 in all marketing for it. I watched the original about 5 years ago and enjoyed it. This, however, is nothing more than a frame-by-frame remake of the original, with a few "modern" additions. Namely, cheesy special effects and some new characters swapped in for the old. It's still Frankenstein, it's still a cross-country race with cartoony cars, and the ending is still the same.

Hate to say it, but the 2008 Jason Statham "Deathrace" flick is better.

Erick Von Erich
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
Beerfest (2006)
From the "Super Troopers Guys", Broken Lizard. It's better than "Club Dread", but not by much. All the guys seem to be in that awkward age from about 35-40 where you realize that you're not "cool" anymore. Which may be why the gist of this movie's humor seems to be angled towards "frat boy antics" and them trying to rekindle their "wild" days. "Dude, remember when we in college and did some crazy drinking stuff?! Yeah, let's make a movie!"

There's a lot of intentional stereotype "humor". Remember all those crappy ethnic jokes from the 80's? Like the "Remember the Alamo" joke? Well, it's that sort of humor. The Germans all wear lederhosen, the Canadians wear hockey jerseys, the Mexicans dress like a Tejano band, etc.

There are some good humor elements, though. Mostly Kevin Heffernan ("Farva"), who's sort of like a John Belushi/John Candy mix (but just SORTA'...so don't get too snotty). His funniest scene was probably his most subtle-- at a college party during a game of "I Never". There's a recurring joke and several nods to the 1981 movie "Das Boot", too. Still, don't know if I recommend it. Proceed with caution, I guess.

Erick Von Erich
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
Spider-Man: Homecoming
I totally missed the boat on this movie, in the summer. After the two disappointing "Amazing" movies, I didn't want to sit through another re-hash of Spider-Man and his origin, all as part of an official bridge to bring him into the proper "MCU". Seemed like it'd be treading familiar ground.

Glad my presumptions were wrong. It jumps right into a fairly fresh take on Spidey, combining elements of "classic", modern and even "Ultimate Spider-Man". The supporting cast all have familiar names ("Liz", "Ned", "Flash"), but they're not slotted into their usual roles. Michael Keaton then knocks it out of the park as the Vulture. Very impressed with this, because I consider the Vulture one of the lamest Spidey villains. They also do some fanboy catering by throwing in some other "b and c-level" Spidey foes.

Vulture's plan to pick up scraps of the wreckage from the first Avengers movie works well. And yeah, he's actually a "vulture". Yet the plan seems like something that'd pop up in (*choke*) "Agents of SHIELD". In fact, Happy Hogan is in this Spidey movie, essentially taking the role Phil Coulson had in earlier Marvel flicks.

To add to my usual "Agents of" hate, the inclusion of Damage Control sorta' strained some of the plot threads that were set-up in Netflix's "Daredevil". Wilson Fisk was supposedly involved in the demolition/abatement and then construction of NY after the Avengers movie... but you can No-Prize this and figure Fisk was only involved in Hell's Kitchen and/or just focused on the building phase. Construction/clean-up/demolition jobs typically have a ton of different contractors on them. So it's not so bad.

But anyways, this flick worked well. The humor is great, and that's always been a part of Spidey-- he makes you laugh. Certain elements seemed to borrow from "Kick-Ass" in that Spidey's a 15 year old nerd who's kind of a screw-up and often gets by on luck. The plot flows fairly predictably, but there was one big swerve that I was not expecting. Lot of little Easter eggs throughout that don't feel gratuitous (like the blonde girl with the black hairband. Hmm...). The famous scene, circa Spider-Man #23, with Spidey being stuck under a pile of rubble, then motivating himself to lift it off has another translation (they may have also done it in the Tobey Maguire and/or "Amazing" movies, but I forget).

I've continually said that I consider Spider-Man's origin story to be not only the best "origin story", but THE best comic story, period. It was absent from this film...and I didn't miss it. That says a lot. Oh, and you've got the usually timed post-credit "stingers". The first is right after the animated credits and is more tied to the plot. The last is purely for fun.

Now that all the red-tape and procedure of bringing Spidey into the MCU is done...I hope Marvel refuses the temptation to do something similar with the Fantastic Four. The boat has sailed on those characters and they'd add very little to the overall MCU roster (their villains, however, are another story-- Dr. Frickin' Doom and Galactus for example).

Erick Von Erich
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
A Wrinkle in Time (2018)
Took my niece and nephew to see it. Yeah, it's as bad as you've heard. Most slams are: "this sucks" or "I hate Oprah". My gripes were quite different.

-The main child actors are all annoying as hell. I compare it to "Stranger Things", where you actually like the kids. Here, they're all brats who are reciting lines and not acting. The main boy (Calvin) REALLY wants to be Robert Patinson (or whoever the next male movie hearthtorb du jour is). His dialogue is the worst, as he says stuff like: "you don't know how amazing you truly are".

-The little brother, Charles Wallace, is especially annoying. I don't think it's "cute" or funny to see little shits reciting and memorizing complex sentences and words. When it's painfully evident that this is not how they actually talk. I was hoping for him to get locked into a refrigerator.

-I always remembered the book involving centaurs. That is, half-horse, half-human creatures. Pretty sure they were even on the paperback cover. Instead, we get a weird flying lettuce creature. Actually, given the creative team involved, it might be a flying KALE creature.

-I clearly did not have a good recollection of the book, as I probably got it confused with the Choose Your Adventure book "The Cave of Time", the movie "Time Bandits" or some other early 80's entity with "Time" in the title (actually it's about saving TIME while SPACE traveling; not hopping to different chronological eras). So not knowing how the plot would resolve, I thought about 15 minutes in: "I'll bet they defeat whatever antagonist appears with the Power of True Love!" Yup, that was the resolution. *fart*

-I'm comfortable enough in my masculinity that I can safely say: "I like Oprah". She makes people happy. Especially makes chicks happy...and happy chicks make guys happy (and other chicks, too, to cover all bases). She's bigger than any movie role, so when her character appeared, I half-expected her to say: "I'm Oprah". Having her as a wild Yoda-like cosmic sage wasn't so bad. What was bad was that they seemed to blow all their special effects budget on her blingy eyelashes, along with crazy costumes for Reese Witherspoon and Mindy Kaling. They all looked like some of the abominations Natalie Portman wore in the Star Wars prequels.

-The whole movie reeked like of an 80's "After School Special". Or that live action crap the networks would show around 11am on Saturday morning. Only thing missing was Punky Brewster talking about "one to grow on".

Erick Von Erich
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
Totally geeking out and going retro....

Destroy All Monsters (1968)
"Original" sub-titled version. Starts off, fast, as the usual plot point of bringing the monsters into the story is established with the opening shot-- they're ALL on "Monsterland", an island near the Bonin Islands, just south of Japan. They're soon mind-controlled by evil aliens, start stomping cities and it looks like the rumble is on! Not so fast, because then we get about 45 minutes of the usual Toho sci-fi crap about the lunar rocket SY-3 and other stuff.

They bring it home as all (well, about 5 or 6) of the monsters, led by Godzilla, beat the crap out of King Ghirdorah! Also on hand are Godzilla's pal, Anguirus (anklosaur looking guy), Gorosarurs (an obscure T-Rex guy from a previously unconnected franchise), Mothra (in larva form), Rodan and Minilla (Godzilla's adopted "son"). The creepy giant spider also pops up in the fight, randomly.

Also, cameos from other monsters, like Manda (snake-like dragon), Baragon and about 3 or 4 more. I don't know all their names, but the trivia of who pops up is worth looking up-- providing you're into Godzilla and kaiju movies. One monster's costume was so old, that they only show him from a distance.

Of course, the SY-3 rocket gets to take out the alien's final attack-- the "Fire Dragon". Then, all the monsters wave goodbye and credits roll! This had the usual (almost boring) obligatory sci-fi yarn, but the final fight is well worth the price of admission (or your time).

Damnation Alley (1977)
From the "Movies I Haven't Watched in 30 years" file. Another post-apocalyptic movie. No real explanation is given for how or why World War 3 happens, other than "missiles". It's not really important. You know what is?! Watching a big freakin' armored RV roll around the desert! Yup, that's what about 60% of this movie is!

There's a plot about how the cast all has to drive to Albany, New York from California. With stops at Las Vegas, Salt Lake City, Meteor Crater and Detroit along the way. The predicaments and challenges they encounter aren't too perilous or amazing; one involves man-eating cockroaches.

George Peppard (Hannibal from "The A-Team") heads the cast, speaking in an on-again/off-again southern accent, suh. Jackie Earle Haley (Kelly from "Bad News Bears" or Rohrshach from "Watchmen", take yer' pick) shows up as the usual "wild boy living on his own". But he's not annoying and actually proves useful in a fight. Yet the real star of the flick is the custom armored RV, known as the Landmaster. A miniature is used at one point, but they actually custom-built this big frickin' thing--and it apparently actually worked and is still around! The Landmaster has popped up in random places, ever since. It was on Chris Eillot's "Get a Life", an Amoco commercial about "The Road Worrier" in 1984 and a few more. I think it even inspired the design of the GI Joe "APC" vehicle. In short, it's a pretty cool and believable vehicle.[/b]

SamoaRowe
Member Avatar
dWb Superstar
[ *  *  * ]
Deadpool 2 was pretty good. About halfway through it, I was starting to feel like I was being let down by it, but it ends really strongly, and features a wonderful redo on a classic X-Men character that appeared in a previous movie in a less than awesome way.

« Previous Topic · TV and Movies · Next Topic »
Add Reply