Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Da Wrestling Board. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
E's Ongoing Superhero Cartoon Thread
Topic Started: Aug 17 2006, 10:11 AM (18,491 Views)
Erick Von Erich
Member Avatar
I'm Big E and I tell it like it is
[ *  *  * ]
Back to the "Super Friends: Season Six" disc and another 1/2 hour voyage into stupidity.

Evil from Krypton (Superman, Aquaman & Green Lantern
Phantom Zone villain "Zy-Cree" infiltrates the Fortress of Solitude, using a satellite to turn the sun red. Superman is instantly weakened and can barely stand...which is odd, because I thought the red sun would de-power him, not necessarily give him the "ugh! Kryptonite" effect.

Anyways, the 3 heroes go to the Fortress. Green Lantern makes a frickin' TANK as they avoid a missile barrage from Zy-Cree. Aquaman then uses his powers to get the aquatic animals in the Fortress to attack Zy-Cree. It boils down to a simple Zy-Cree vs. Superman fight... as GL and Aquaman both stick their thumbs up their rumps and watch.

Zy-Cree, for whatever reason, is an obvious stand-in for General Zod. His design strongly resembles Zod from the "Superman II" movie. Same hairline, beard and black leather get-up. Despite the nitpickings, this was a great "short".

The Creature from the Dump (Batman, Robin & Wonder Twins)
The "Environmental Alert" (NOT the "Trouble Alert") alerts the team to a toxic monster at the Gotham City dump. Batman gets infected and becomes a dump monster, himself. Robin fights him off, with the help of.... the BAT-BEAN-BAGGER! A "gun" that shoots bean-bags! Why has that never popped up, before?!! Batman returns to normal and destroys the Dump Monster with a magnetic Bat-Rope. That's it.

Aircraft Terror (Batman, Robin & Wonder Twins)
Really? TWO Wonder Twins shorts in one episode?! A random, unexplained meteor hits a concord, turning it into a dragon. Other airplanes are soon infected, including the Bat-Plane (which turns into a giant bat-monster, naturally).

The Zy-Cree short is five-stars for the Super Friends, but the other two shorts had phoned-in plots and were wretched.
<!---Hit Paydirt with K-Dirt--->
DWS Apparel Store- Buy. Consume. Obey.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Erick Von Erich
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
Another episode of 1981 Super Friends:

The Lavamen (Superman, Wonder Woman & Aquaman)
"Ocean City" is attacked by a group of Lavamen... numbering about 3 or 4. The king of the Lavamen is a guy they constantly refer to as "Solerad". The Super Friends all toss them back into the volcano they popped out of, and Superman welds it shut with his heat vision. Not really a problem solved, but whatever.

With a big potential volcano next to an oceanfront metroplex, I'm guessing "Ocean City" was loosely based on Seattle and Mt. Rainier. I'm not sure if the comics ever had an "Ocean City".

Bizarowurld (Superman & Black Vulcan)
While repairing SkyLab (hey, remember that?) Black Vulcan gets whisked away to Bizarowurld. Superman comes along and they go through a buncha' automated obstacles from Bizarro.

Superman gets caught in a room of Red Kryptonite, which turns him into an Alfred E. Neumann lookalike. He makes the Red K turn into BLUE Kryptonite... by letting it shine through his RED cape (although dialogue states: "blue suit"). That's tough to swallow, even for a Super Friends cartoon.

Also interesting is that all the other Bizarowurld inhabitants seem to be regular law-abiding types (they all still look like Bizarro Superman and Lois Lane). Only Bizarro is a bad guy. I feel like the entire planet has been full of bad guys, before.

The Warlord's Amulet (Samurai, Batman & Robin)
Mt. Fuji cracks open a "time portal", allowing a 13th century Japanese warlord and his demon flunkies to pop out. Two shorts dealing with mountain monsters and lava in one episode?

Essentially a solo spotlight on Samurai, as Batman & Robin arrive at the end. A little disappointed that Samurai only uses his tornado powers and not his invisibility or fire powers.

Erick Von Erich
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
Iron Man- "Ultimo/Ultimo Lives/Crescendo"
Mandarin, out for revenge, uses his "trans-dimensionalizer" to bring Tony Stark to his castle. Mandy then fires up a volcano and out pops the giant Ultimo. To me, Ultimo's probably one of the least interesting villains in all of Marvel. He's a big, giant metal or rock...thing.

I didn't notice it before, but they voice Mandarin with some unflattering, stereotypical, "Oriental" speech patterns. For instance, he'll say "pwize" instead of "prize". Mandarin also has another face-off with the Chinese military, because he's a meanie.

Throw in a subplot about Tony Stark potentially losing his defense contracts with the US government, due to being in absentia. He makes it back just in time, of course.

The animation's still prehistoric, but improves a little bit. There are two or three instances where they actually animate figures moving or walking.

Erick Von Erich
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
I've been trying to watch Netflix's "Luke Cage", but keep falling asleep. So I plopped in some more 1981 Super Friends idiocy.

The Iron Cyclops (Superman, Batman, Black Vulcan & Atom
Well hey, THAT'S a pretty cool Super Friends lineup. A robotic alien is trying to "steal Earth's gravity".... which makes no sense, but it's Super Friends. Batman does nothing but work a computer, while the other 3 duke it out with the Iron Cyclops in space. Atom uses his shrinking powers well and is able to jump into the Iron Cyclops' head and take out the real culprit-- a little alien named "Itsy", who looks like a Yoda knock-off. Atom takes him to the ambiguous "Galactic Authorities".

The plot is sorta' the reverse of the famous 1940's Fleischer Superman episode, "The Magnetic Telescope" (which won an Oscar...I think). Yet, I think any homage or similarity is solely in my mind and not intentional.

Palette's Perils (El Dorado & Wonder Woman)
I like El Dorado, but it's a garbage episode about an evil painter who brings his paintings to life. Not much creativity, beyond that. El Dorado suddenly has telepathy. You could make a case that El Dorado was the Super Friends' version of Martian Manhunter.

Colossus (Superman & Apache Chief)
A big (VERY big) space demon walks into the solar system and tosses Earth around like a marble. Pretty famous scene, as Apache Chief says his magic word, over and over, until he's the same size as Colossus. With the help of a "shrink ray", Colossus is shrunk down to normal size. Then it's just Superman and Apache Chief beating him up. As seems to be their MO, instead of solving the problem, they simply chuck the villain off into space.

Once again, Apache Chief comes off as fairly powerful and formidable. Change the stereotypes slapped on him and you've got a good character (I thought DC's "Manitou Raven" from 1999-2003 was pretty cool. He was an intentional upgrade of Apache Chief).

1 for 3 in this episode. Liked #1. #2 was too silly and #3's main concept about the giant alien was hard to stomach.

Erick Von Erich
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
Challenge of the SuperFriends- "Invasion of the Fearians"
The LOD hooks up with the Fearians from Venus, who want to turn Earth into another version of Venus. The LOD tricks the SuperFriends into some instant terra-forming of the planet, and it's really not as stupid as it sounds. One of the better "Challenge" episodes, as the first half has little one-on-one match-ups involving Flash/Captain Cold, Aquaman/Black Manta and Green Lantern/Sinestro. It all caps off with a brief battle royal between the LOD and the SuperFriends.

Only two really groaning inducing parts: Black Manta is simply "setting the Pacific Ocean on fire" with a giant blowtorch. Second, Lex Luthor's big escape plan, at the end, involves elevating into the US Capitol's dome and flying away.

This may have been a better pilot episode than the awful "Wanted: The SuperFriends". Pretty much everybody gets a bit of screen-time; with the only notable exceptions being the Riddler, Bizarro and Cheetah.

« Previous Topic · Comic Books · Next Topic »
Add Reply