Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Da Wrestling Board. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Selling my comics online.
Topic Started: Aug 12 2008, 11:23 AM (2,111 Views)
JimBob Skeeter
Member Avatar
DWB Champ
[ *  *  * ]
So, I decided a while ago that I'm going to get rid of the majority of my comic colletion. I'm asking you, fellow fanboy's, if you have an idea what would be the best way to do it. Online? E-bay? Craigslist? Thoughts?

First off, I haven't even gone thru my collection yet. My collection right now is basically stuff from 95-96 on, mostly DC stuff. I bought the occasional Daredevil and Hulk stuff, some GI Joes (EvE!), Transformers, etc., blahblahblah.
The DC stuff is predominately JLA, JSA, Superman, some Batman, Firestorm, Flash, WW, GL, the first 25 or so ish's of Green Arrow's latest series.
I have quite a few tpb's, too. Now, i have yet to catalog them. I heard at one time there is a site you can put all your comics on for fanboys to check it out. Weren't you the one who told me aobut that, EvE?

Nost of these have been read only once or twice and about half are in plastic, with maybe 1/16 having the boards. All in all, they're pretty much in almost mint condition.

Now, I ralize I have to start going thru my boxes and getting shit in order. just thought I'd let it out there now for ideas and to see if anyone has any specific issues they might be looking for that I can keep an eye out for.

Any help is appreciated and may get you a discount!!!!! ;-)
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Erick Von Erich
Member Avatar
I'm Big E and I tell it like it is
[ *  *  * ]
I might take you up on some of your stuff.

Selling online is definitely the way to go. Nowadays, I hit a comic shop's back issue and think: "eh...I can find a better copy on eBay for less". So here are some pointers for selling:

eBay
eBay is good for your significant, pricey issues.

It's also possible to move entire lots on there. Like, if you have JLA 11 through 35..list them that way. It's the only way (on eBay) to successfully get rid of your random issues. Or list entire complete arcs in one lot (like that "Darkseid IS" arc that ran in JLA, circa 1998).

Check the 'completed listings' before you list something, though. Chances are, that random issue you're listing is available for 50 cents in a Power Seller's eBay store. Guys with eBay stores pay a monthly fee (20 to 100 bucks, depending on size and exposure) and have an advantage over the average joe. Otherwise, you'll waste 20 cents per listing

Be sure to add a decent S/H charge to cover not only postage, but PayPal fees as well. Accepting PayPal is the best way to go on eBay. Otherwise, you'll get some tool who doesn't have a job and likes to send you bouncy checks, COINS, or money orders.

Craigslist
Craigslist is working better for me, lately. I listed a few lots of random shit from the early 90's and I sold all of 'em. Even some ...believe it or not.. Ralph Snart comics. Key was that I mentioned: "pick n' choose what you want or buy the whole lot". I meet guys at public locations, they pay in cash, and they're satisfied. I have a guy who's now a repeat customer. I just email him whenever I list new crap.

Craigslist is 100% free. Although listings expire in 90 days. You can refresh your listing on day 89 and make it last another 90, though.

In all cases, be sure to include a decent picture. eBay and Craigslit have size limits on how big your uploaded picture can be. I recommend self-hosting your picture. You can even use a site like Flickr or Photbucket for that.

Others
There's also www.comicbookdb.com
I've been pumping up this site for awhile, now. It's awesome for indexing your collection, but its free "marketplace" has yielded exactly ZERO leads for me, so far. I don't think they promote it well enough. Again, it's free and will cost you nothing.

www.comiccollectorlive.com is like a combo of ComicBookDB and eBay. They have paid auction listings and advertise in current comics. However, I think their system sucks short hairs and their fee structure is terrible.

For your TPBs, you should definitely check out Half.com. It's linked into eBay, but 100% free. They only pay you via direct transfer into your checking account. It lists books by ISDN or UPC number and they have a lot of TPBs. The way it's set-up, it basically allows sellers to "reverse bid" for how much they want to sell their stuff. You can not include a picture...so be VERY descriptive of your book's condition, on there.

As a bonus, if you select a certain setting, your Half.com items will appear on eBay as "eBay Express" items, for free.

Amazon.com has a similar program, but I've yet to sign up for and use it.

Any other questions, let me know. I've been selling my crap, continually, for about 18 months now.
<!---Hit Paydirt with K-Dirt--->
DWS Apparel Store- Buy. Consume. Obey.

JimBob Skeeter
Member Avatar
DWB Champ
[ *  *  * ]
I knew you'd come thru for me. I'll give you first selection on ANYTHING I have, one I get it listed. a dude over at DVDVR gave me a link to a collection listing site that I'm going to check out.

Oh, and I forgot to mention i have like 100 old Mad and Cracked magazines, most of which are in poor to horseshit condition (the covers, anyways), bbut the innards are still funny to read if anyones nostalgical!

Oh, the days when the Duke Boys and Knight rider adorned the same cover.

;-)

Erick Von Erich
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
Mad and Cracked should be in horseshit condition. That means you folded up the rear cover for the wacky "fold n' see" picture they ran that month.

Here's a handy tool to find out how much a listing on eBay will cost you, after all the fees:

http://ebcalc.com/auction/single/

I might be interested in some Flash comics. GI Joe? Bah, you fool!! I have everything they've ever produced! Well..aside from the Transformer crossovers and the spin-off dogcrap issues put out since 2001.

JimBob Skeeter
Member Avatar
DWB Champ
[ *  *  * ]
I FINALLY got them catalogued. Pretty much everything is post 1/99, as that's when my ex-wife and I split and she kept some of my boxes and said they were "missing". Riiiiiiiiiight. Give them a look and let me know if you'd be interested in any of them!

TPB's/One-shots:

JLA: Earth 2 (HC)
Justice League: A New Beginning
Son Of Superman (HC)
Batman: The Dark Knight Returns
JLA VS Predator ('01)
JLA: Gods & Monsters ('01)
JLA: New World Order ('07)
JLA/The Spectre: Soul War 1 & 2 ('03)
JLA: Created Equal 1 & 2 ('00)
JLA: Act Of God 1-3 ('00)
JLA: Island Of Dr. Morneau ('02)
JLA: Secret Society of Super Heroes 1 & 2 ('00)
JLA: Witchblade ('00)
Vertigo - Zatanna: Every Day Magic ('03)
Superman: Last Son Of Earth 1 & 2 ('00)
Batman: The Long Halloween ('95)
JLA: Seven Caskets ('00)
COIE
Batman: Catyclysm ('95)
Batman: No Man's Land 1-5 ('95)
JLA/Avengers 1-4
The Kingdom 1 & 2 ('99)
JLA 80 Page Special - The Century War ('00)
JLA Showcase 80 Page Giant ('00)
X-Men: Days Of Futre Past ('81)
Green Lantern: Legacy ('02)
JLA/JSA Virtue & Vice ('02)
X-Men: Visionaries ('02)
Stan Lee's Just Imagine JLA ('02)
Stan Lee's Just Imagine Crisis ('02)
Stan Lee's Just Imagine Secret Files & Origins ('02)
Kingdom Come 1-4 (signed by Mark Waid)
Haven #1 ('02)

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comics

Impulse ('02) 85-89
Hawkman (May '02) 1-6, 19, 23, 24, 25
Brave & The Bold ('07) 1-3
Fury Of Firestorm 13-18, Ann #1 ('83)
Superman/Batman 9-12, 17, Ann #1
House Of M Sketchbook
Secret Six #6 (of six - 1/07)
Fantastic Four #67 (5/03)
Batman & The Outsiders (5 (5/08)
Ambush Bug Year None #1
Transformers 1-3, 5 (4/02)
Booster Gold 7-9, One Million ('08)
Firestorm 1-33, 35 ('04)
JLA 0 (9/06)
JLA Wedding Special (11/07)
Black Canary Wedding Planner #1 ('07)
JLA 1-23
JSA 1-15, 17-20, Ann #1, Kingdom Come Special #1 ('07)
Final Crisis 1-4, Resist
DC Universe #0 ('08)
Catwoman 51
Batgirl 24-27, 29 ('02) (Bruce Wayne Murderer/Fugitive arc)
Nightwing 65, 66, 68, 69 (Bruce Wayne Murderer/Fugitive arc)
Birds Of Prey 35, 36, 39-43, 48, 83 & 59 (Bruce Wayne Murderer/Fugitive arc)
Azrael: Agent Of The Bat 90-92 (Bruce Wayne Murderer/Fugitive arc)
Robin 98-102, 125-127 (Bruce Wayne Murderer/Fugitive arc)
Batman: Gotham Nights 25-28, 30-32, 40 (Bruce Wayne Murderer/Fugitive arc)
Detective Comics 766-773 (Bruce Wayne Murderer/Fugitive arc)
Batman 10 cent Adventure ('04)
Batman Annual 25 ('06)
Superboy 99 ('02)
Supergirl 68, 75, 79 ('02)
Aquaman 4 ('03)
Lobo Unbound #4 ('03)
Lobo Annual #2 ('94)
Power Company 1 & 2
Secret Files Guide To The DC Universe 2001-2002 #1 ('02)
Doom Patrol 1, 2, 6-8 ('02)
DC 1st Batgirl/Joker- ('02)
DC 1st Superman/Flash (Jay Garrick) ('02)
DC 1st Superman/Lobo ('02, )
The Spectre 3 & 4 ('01, )
Superman: The Man Of Steel 100, 105, 108, 115-119, 121,
122, 124-127, 130-134
Adventures Of Superman 583, 589, 591, 593-597, 600, 605, 608-611, 617, 618, 632, 638, 640, 644, 649
Superman 158, 159, 161, 164, 168, 169, 171-176, 178-183,
186-189, 192, 193, 195, 209, 216, 207, 219, 224
Superman 650 & 651 ('06)
Superman 10 cent Adventure
Superman 404 & 414 ('85)
Action Comics 766, 767, 770, 773, 778, 780-784, 786, 789, 790, 792, 795-798, 800, 804, 805,
815, 816, 825, 826, 829, 831, 837, 858-862, 867-870, Ann#11
Worlds Finest Our Worlds At War #1 ('01)
Superman Our Worlds At War Secret Files #1 ('01)
Superman: Lex 2000 #1, ('01)
Teen Titans 1-26, 29-61, Ann #1 ('06)
The Flash 184-188, 197-205, 209-225, 227-231 ('02)
The Flash (Bart Allen) 6-8, 10-13 ('07)
JSA Secret Files & Origins #2 ('02)
JSA Our Worlds At War #1
JSA 1-87
JSA Classified 1-7, 9
JLA Our Worlds At War #1
Justice Leagues 1-3, 5&6 ('01)
JLA Secret Files & Origins #3, (12/00)
JLA Annual #3 ('99-Apes!)
JLA 24, 26-125
Green Lantern 25 (1/08 - Sinestro Corps finale)
Justice League Adventures 1-12, 18, 20, 28
The Titans 1-14, 17-50 ('99)
Green Arrow 1-132, 50
Young Justice 35, 36, 38, 39, 43-50, 52-54, Our Worlds At War #1
Green Lantern 127, 146-148, 150, 153-157, 161-164, 181 ('00 - Kyle as GL)
GL Circle Of Fire 1 & 2, (10/00)
GL & Firestorm #1
Wonder Woman 173, 175, 190-194, 214, 219 (kills Max Lord)
LoSH 125 ('00)
Legion Worlds 2 & 3 ('01)
The Legion 2-6, 9, 10, 12-14, 16, 25, 32, 33
Outsiders 1-27, 29, 31, 32 ('03)
Black Panther 41-49 (Enemy Of The State arc)
Peter Parker SPiderman 44-47
Amazing Spider man 36 (9/11 issue)
Fantastic Four 489 (9 cent issue)
Transformers 1-3, 5 ('02)
GI Joe 1-12 ('01)
The Incredible Hulk 55-59 ('03 - Hide In Plain Sight arc)
Daredevil 33-36, 38-40, 45-50
Wolverine 175-181

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Minis

JLA: Black Baptism 1-4 ('01)
JLA: Scary Monsters 1-3, 5 & 6 ('03)
JLA: Incarnations 1-7 ('01)
Titans/LoSH Universe Ablaze 3 (2000)
JLA/Titans 1 & 3 ('98)
Titans/Young Justice Graduation Day 1-3 ('03)
The L.A.W. 1-4, 6 ('99)
Joker: Last Laugh 1-6, Secret Files #1 ('01)
Identity Crisis 1-7
Villains United 1-6
Villains United Spcecial #1
Countdown To Infinite Crisis
Infinite Crisis 1-7
The OMAC Project 1-6
The OMAC Project Special #1
Days Of Vengeance Special #1
Superman Prime #1 (Tales Of The Sinestro Corps)
Infinite Crisis Secret Files & Origins 2006
52: 52, 37, 24, 16, 15, 10, 1
Countdown Presents Lord Havok & The Extremists #1
Teen Titans/Legion Special #1 (11/04)
Green Lantern: Rebirth 1-6
Suicide Squad 1-12 ('01)
Formerly Known As The Justice League 1-6
Justice League Elite 1-12

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

JimBob Skeeter
Member Avatar
DWB Champ
[ *  *  * ]
Got a chance to look on E-Bay, Amazon and half.com last night for a bunch of my stuff and most of it is out there, but a few of them actually ARE rare ones, Zatanna being one of them. Superman: last Son Of Earth and JLA: Secret Socitey Of Super heroes, too. I might actually be able to make a buck off of these. The rest, there's a few here and there, but for the most part, most of the TPB's will be $5 each, the individuals, make an offer. I still have a lot more to check, but you help me, I'll help you. ;-)

Erick Von Erich
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
I'm eying the 2007 JSA series. I read and liked #1, but never picked up the rest. Is 20 bucks (plus shipping) too cheap of an offer?

Also, two more resources to help you with the details:

USPS Postal Calculator:
http://postcalc.usps.gov/

PayPal Calculator:
http://ppcalc.com/
(Good for when you sell things on your own, without eBay or any other service).

For shipping purposes, you can usually ship up to 4 comics at the First Class rate (less than 13oz). More than that, you have to go with Parcel Post as "large envelope/package".

You can also send via the cheap Media Mail...but that's generally SLOW and, technically, it's not allowed. Media Mail is officially for "stuff you can find in a library"-- books, videos, DVD's or photos. Comics and magazines don't qualify because they have advertisements in them. You can still cheat and send stuff via Media Mail, though. I've had luck with larger lots, that way.

JimBob Skeeter
Member Avatar
DWB Champ
[ *  *  * ]
Actually, the one series I'm still torn over selling is the new JSA one. It's the only monthly I still get regularly. I gave up on Teen Titans and JLA a few months ago, and for me, that was a big step. I just really have always enjoyed what they've done with JSA, old series AND new. Now, with another Black Adam arc coming up, I may just have to keep getting them. Also, I forgot to put in the list that #9 of the new JSA was the variant cover bought at $10 (Wildcat vs Wildcat, boxing logo style)
Posted Image

I really dug this over so I got it.

Thanks for the other links, too!!!!!

JimBob Skeeter
Member Avatar
DWB Champ
[ *  *  * ]
Finally had enough of looking at the boxes and sold them. Put an ad on Craigslist, got a bite from a Dad looking to buy them for his 6 and 8 year old kids, thought they would make a nice Chrismtas gift. Sold the lot for $150, all except for the trade paperbacks and both JSA runs. Have fun, kids!

SamoaRowe
Member Avatar
dWb Superstar
[ *  *  * ]
Those kids have an awesome dad.

The Swigg Lebowski
Member Avatar
Current Two Time DWB Champion
[ *  *  * ]
Erick Von Erich,Aug 12 2008
04:42 PM
I might be interested in some Flash comics. GI Joe? Bah, you fool!! I have everything they've ever produced! Well..aside from the Transformer crossovers and the spin-off dogcrap issues put out since 2001.

Let me tell, you, man. I've got G.I. Joe spin off dogcrap out the wazoo at my comic shop. Transformers as well.
Scrooge McSuck

I'm too hefty for my slacks. The zippers off it's tracks. I've stretched it to the maa-a-a-a-x.

Erick Von Erich
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
Digging this up, as I have some numbers and facts.

1- Started selling comics, online, in 2007. To date, I've sold 847 comics via eBay and 1,043 in person via Craigslist.

2- Tough to get exact numbers, since my eBay totals include random junk, but I can safely estimate about $1,500 total profit from the comics sold strictly on eBay.

3- Craigslist was good for bulk, as I sold a higher quantity, there, but only $481 in profit.

I still have yet to put a dent into my stock. The key thing is: EIGHT YEARS and I'm still trying to sell this stuff. It's not that they're "worthless", since I've sold some absolute garbage for more than something I thought was valuable (I've made more money off of Muppet Babies than I have off of X-men). Most expensive single comic I've sold, online,-- "Adventures of Super Mario Brothers #1" for 25.99.

The problem is moving the overall BULK. It takes a long time, as nobody wants to dish out a large chunk of change for a huge collection. People want "deals"...so while it might be a better deal to buy a ton of stuff in bulk, most folks would rather nickel n' dime and pay 25 cents to 5 bucks for individual issues.

I think that's part of the hobby, though-- the actual "collecting". For instance, if you were to buy EVERY issue of Avengers, for $1,000 (which would include the key issues of #1 and #4), where's the fun in that? You're instantly done.

It took me about 30 years to complete my Avengers run. Did I have fun? Yeah. Would I do it again? Hell no.

« Previous Topic · Comic Books · Next Topic »
Add Reply