Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Da Wrestling Board. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Comments that don't warrant a thread...
Topic Started: Oct 25 2011, 05:12 PM (67,561 Views)
Scrooge McSuck
I'll get you next time, toilet!
[ *  *  * ]
I don't see a topic like this on the latest couple of pages in the folder, so it seems fitting to finally (re)start one. Combing through YouTube and other various video hosting websites, I noticed a few things I found either interesting or odd, but not enough to start individual topics on each...

- At the Clash of the Champions XX, there's an 8-Man Tag Elimination Match. Other than the concept reminding me more of the WWF than anything else, I found it very strange to see Rick Rude and Jake Roberts on the same team. It just seemed like a "what the hell?" moment. Throw in Hercules as the Super Invader, and you've got a WWF Reunion on that team, plus Vader.

- How did they make Beautiful Bobby a member of the Blue Bloods? I know by 1994 he wasn't what he used to be, and had been around without much of a break for nearly a decade, but it just seemed strange. You got this guy from Alabama, parading around as some sort of Steven Regal wanna-be. It's like having Greg Valentine dressing up as Roy Orbison and having him follow around, emulating the Honkytonk Man's routine. Just very strange.
Posted Image
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Mad Dog
Member Avatar
ho ho who the hell are you?
[ *  *  * ]
I believe they did a lot of vintages with Regal "educating" Eaton on the finer points of Blue Bloodery.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Erick Von Erich
Member Avatar
I'm Big E and I tell it like it is
[ *  *  * ]
Basically, after dropping the TV title, Regal announced that he was looking for a tag partner. During an interview, Bobby Eaton walked in and offered to be Regal's partner. Eaton said: "hey, howabout it?" as the interviewer sold Eaton as a capable partner. Regal said no, saying he didn't want to associate with such a peon (or something like that).

Eaton kept trying and eventually Regal accepted him and; as Mad Dog said; trained him how to be a "blue blood". Eventually he was re-christened Robert "The Earl of" Eaton.
<!---Hit Paydirt with K-Dirt--->
DWS Apparel Store- Buy. Consume. Obey.

Scrooge McSuck
[ *  *  * ]
I'm sure I could stretch this into a full topic on it's own, but I really miss the days of regional broadcasts for WWF live events. It might be the selfish New York market in me growing up, but as a kid, watching the WWF on Madison Square Garden felt important, almost like watching a PPV, since I only watched the weekend syndicated shows, and those were just hour long commercials for those events. I don't know when they stopped broadcasting cards from the Meadowlands, but MSG kept running through the spring of 1992 with cards being broacasted.
Posted Image

Scrooge McSuck
[ *  *  * ]
I never noticed that Ricky Steamboat was dressing up with his dragon wings and breathing fire in WCW as late as 1994... people constantly mock him doing this in the WWF, but why not in WCW? Because he was pushed to the main events?

Anyone else notice that when Arn and Tully jumped to the WWF, they did jobs for the Bushwhackers of all teams, throughout their entire tenure in the comapny? It just seems weird, considering the Bushwhackers never really beat anyone but the Rougeaus and Bolsheviks, but they were allowed to beat the Brain Busters, the team that ended Demolition's 15 month reign as champions.

Back on the subject of Bobby Eaton, never knew he formed a team with Steve Kiern right before the Blue Bloods period of his career. I only find this interesting because of Kiern's partnership with Stan Lane as The Fabulous Ones, and then Lane replaced Dennis Condrey to team with Eaton as the Midnight Express. I guess you can call them the Fabulous Express or Midnight Ones... or Bad Attitude? There's an original team name.
Posted Image

Erick Von Erich
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
I knew Steamboat still sported his reptilian tights in WCW after re-returning in the 90's, but I seem to have forgotten that he still spit fire. People like to say that that gimmick was just something the WWF did to "humiliate him". But if it was so humiliating, why did he keep doing it, three years later, for the competition?!

When he first appeared in WCW in late 1991 as Dustin Rhodes' surprise partner, he came in wearing a huge dragon costume that looked like something from a bad SyFy Channel horror movie.

Oh, and when I read your post, I initially thought: "wasn't Bad Attitude that jobber team from 1999 with Tough Tom and Mean Mike"? How quickly I've forgotten Disorderly Conduct!

Infinite Devil Machine
Member Avatar
A Very Cunning Linguist
[ *  *  * ]
WCW had some fantastic jobber teams.

High Voltage- Kenny Kaos and Robbie Rage

Disorderly Conduct- Mean Mike and Tuff Tom

The Villainos- 4 and 5

and all the assorted NWO combinations.

Shit, Kaz Hayashi and Van Hammer tagged for a little while....
What "World of Warcraft" players see when they're not playing.....

Posted Image

Mad Dog
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
High Voltage was a JTTS not jobbers. They actually got some big wins in 1997 until Rage got hurt.

Erick Von Erich
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
Kinda' splitting hairs, but those teams were all pretty much "JTTS" or just "jobbers" whenever they appeared on Nitro and Thunder.

(Yes, High Voltage had a little program where they beat Public Enemy on Nitro in 1997)

WCW seemed to have a whole division of JTTS in the late 90's in both tag and singles. They'd get wins on "Saturday Night" or "Worldwide", but would usually lose to the big names. These guys seemed to be a step up from the "Bobby Blaze level" (featuring guys who always lost).
[doHTML]<ul>
<li>Chris Adams
<li>Cheetah Kid
<li>Ciclope
<li>Lizmark, Jr.
<li>Roadblock
<li>T. Rantula
<li>All 3 Armstrongs
<li>Rick Fuller
<li>Jimmy Graffiti
<li>Johnny Attitude
<li>Jerry Flynn
<li>Barry Darsow
<li>Men at Work
<li>Bull Payne
<li>Ricky Santana
<li>Sgt. Buddy Lee Parker
<li>Kendall Windham (they pulled him up in '99 for the "West Texas Rednecks")
</ul>
[/doHTML]

Infinite Devil Machine
Member Avatar
A Very Cunning Linguist
[ *  *  * ]
Yeah, but Public Enemy were jobbers, anyway.

Also, I marked for Jerry Flynn. Anybody remember "The Block"?

Posted Image

Erick Von Erich
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
Infinite Devil Machine,Oct 31 2011
11:54 AM
Yeah, but Public Enemy were jobbers, anyway.

Also, I marked for Jerry Flynn. Anybody remember "The Block"?

True, but I'd say Public Enemy didn't become jobbers/JTTS until roughly mid-1997. They were kind of a big deal when they arrived in early 1996 and won the tag titles in September '96 (sure, the reign only lasted about two weeks).

And who could forget "The Block, WCW's version of Fight Club?!" I've used this (shitty) joke before, but I always imagine that someday I'll be wandering in the low-lit bowels of some arena and suddenly see Jerry Flynn step out from behind a door and challenge me to a fight.

Even though we haven't seen it on TV in over 10 years, The Block is still going...

Mad Dog
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
I'd say Public Enemy were a top calibur team until about September of 1997 but they started getting pushed in the summer of 1998 again.

High Voltage also got a win over I think Harlem Heat but I could be wrong. I saw them as the highest level JTTS there was in 1997. They were on some PPV commercials and such.

Infinite Devil Machine
Member Avatar
A Very Cunning Linguist
[ *  *  * ]
I liked the completely random Public Enemy vs. Disco Inferno/Alex Wright match from Road Wild 1998. It was really weird, as it went from a standard match to a "Sturgis Streetfight" in the middle of the match. Fun stuff. It also featured the wonderful Tokoyo Magnum as Inferno and Wright's little lackey.

Man I love 1998 WCW...

Posted Image

Erick Von Erich
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
I know most people will pick WWF over WCW for 1998, but I also dug WCW more in 1998. They just really began to spread themselves thin when Nitro went to 3 hours in January '98. Add in "Thunder" for another 2 and it was tough to keep it up.

Oh, about High Voltage-- we forgot to mention that Kenny Kaos actually held 1/2 of the tag titles when Rick Steiner picked him as his partner in October '98. But then I think both guys got injured, Judy Bagwell came along and the titles kinda' vanished into thin air.

Scrooge McSuck
[ *  *  * ]
I didn't watch much WCW in 1998-through the end, but I do remember catching occasional episodes of Saturday Night, and came across the likes of Barry Darsow pretending to be a Golfer. I thought it was humorous, even if I didn't know the deal.

The point: I loved the B/C-Shows (in the WWF universe, that would be Heat after Smackdown came along, and Velocity, to name a few). You got decent amounts of wrestling, but little storylines surrounding them, so if you just needed a taste of wrestling without going "I don't know the angles", then those shows rocked the house. Of course, you can only take soo many Mean Street Posse matches, circa 2000.
Posted Image

DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · General Wrestling · Next Topic »
Add Reply