Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Da Wrestling Board. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Marvel re-launch (more First Issues, #1's)
Topic Started: Sep 19 2012, 10:13 AM (1,676 Views)
Erick Von Erich
Member Avatar
I'm Big E and I tell it like it is
[ *  *  * ]
Erick Von Erich,Sep 18 2012
02:07 PM
Unless...they're ending "New" and using "Uncanny Avengers" to replace it. Sorry, I'm not plugged-in enough to know if that's the case.

I'm quoting and talking to myself! Yup, it appears that both Avengers titles are ending. Again. In fact, it looks like a good chunk of Marvel's titles are going the DC route and starting over with "New #1's!" Aw, hell...

-Avengers and New Avengers both end at issue 34 of each title
-Avengers Academy ends at issue 39

October/November has the debut of:
-Uncanny Avengers #1 (a new Avengers/X-men combo team)
-A+X #1 (Random Avengers and X-men team-ups)

Then shipping in December, you have:
-Avengers #1 (new core Avengers title?)
-Avengers Arena #1 (buncha' "teen" heroes fighting it out in MurderWorld... plus Darkhawk)

Plus, Iron Man, Thor, X-men, Fantastic Four and Hulk all get their own new #1's.

Dark Avengers and Secret Avengers continue on. Weird, because December also has "Thunderbolts #1", a new "black ops" team led by Red Hulk, with Punisher, Deadpool, Elektra and Venom.

For those who like to read such things:December solicitations!. Draw your own conclusions and opinions.
DWS Apparel Store- Buy. Consume. Obey.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

captcomic83
Friend of Pete Doherty
[ * ]
Wow, more new FIRST ISSUES!

Jeremy.

Mad Dog
Member Avatar
ho ho who the hell are you?
[ *  *  * ]
The first issues are annoying but I actually preordered a lot of the new books because of the creative team changes.

Fraction going to the FF books got me to try that and I'm down with Waid on the new Hulk book.

Erick Von Erich
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
It's a bit of ego-stroking for creators, it seems. New writer, you get a new #1!

The thing is, with Marvel, they could suddenly revert back to their original numbering at their whim. Like they did with Fantastic Four in 2012, Avengers & Amazing Spider-Man in 2001, even frickin' She-Hulk, circa 2006. Whenever a new milestone issue is in sight; like a #700, they could roll the "new" numbering back into the old.

Captain America's getting a new volume. Again. How many different "Captain America #1" issues have there been, now? I've completely lost track.

Mad Dog
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
This is 6 I think.

Mad Dog
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
The problem is though, they know by doing this that they're doing to slam the casket shut on the New 52 winning in sales for good. I really hate the constant #1s but it does work.

The Swigg Lebowski
Member Avatar
Current Two Time DWB Champion
[ *  *  * ]
As long as they're not moving the Marvel U back in time, erasing some continuity and rewriting origins, then I'm ok with re-numbering. I can't read DC because I get too annoyed with that. Tim Drake was never Robin, he was a gymnast who was Red Robin from the beginning... BULLSHIT.
Scrooge McSuck

I'm too hefty for my slacks. The zippers off it's tracks. I've stretched it to the maa-a-a-a-x.

Mad Dog
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
As far as I know, there is no reboot here. This is more just a giant creative team shuffle in the wake of Avengers vs. X-Men. At least I haven't heard the term reboot used by anyone official. At the worst, this seems a lot more well thought out than the New 52 was.

I have to be honest, the more I read of the New 52, the more I dislike it. If it wasn't for Batman, Nightwing, Justice League Dark, Swamp Thing, Animal Man and Earth Two I would be totally out of DC a the moment.

I hate the Tim Drake stuff too. He was Robin for my entire comic reading career. Same for Wally West... he was the Flash for my entire comic reading career. Now, he's nowhere to be seen. I'm tired of the creative team at DC trying to take everything back to the Silver Age. All of the characters are single, 20somethings and it's just boring at the lack of diversity in the characters.

Mad Dog
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
Also, Marvel did it right, they lined up killer creative teams for this Marvel Now thing and they shuffled things that are going to make the universe really fresh. Not the horrible retreads that DC did.

Let's look:

Matt Fraction on Fantastic Four and FF.
Mark Waid on Indestructible Hulk.
Kieron Gillen on Iron Man.
Jason Aaron on Thor.
Rick Remender on Uncanny Avengers
Rick Remender on Captain America
Jonathan Hickman on Avengers

I was annoyed at the Now thing at first, then the creative teams hit and I found my pull list getting huge. It's hard to not get excited about that kind of shuffling around. I am legit excited for every one of those books.

Erick Von Erich
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
Bringing the original X-men into the modern era seems like a bad idea, to me. I can see why they're doing it, though. Of the original Silver Age boom at Marvel, the X-men probably had the worst plots and overall treatment. Which made it all the more peculiar that they would become Marvel's top title in the 80's (sure, which essentially a completely different cast).

There's always been a bit of a temptation to bring them back and make them more relevant. See: early 70's X-Men reprints and 80's X-Factor. Even the 90's had "Lost Years" or whatever it was called.

« Previous Topic · Comic Books · Next Topic »
Add Reply