Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Da Wrestling Board. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Episode VII is Coming; Star Wars, that is.
Topic Started: Oct 30 2012, 04:07 PM (5,407 Views)
Erick Von Erich
Member Avatar
I'm Big E and I tell it like it is
[ *  *  * ]
Probably as part of both properties being under the Disney umbrella, Marvel is promoting new Star Wars comics for next year:

Quote:

Star Wars Ė A Galaxy Not So Far Away!
Thatís right! The new Marvel Star Wars comics will be released before you know it ó faster than Han Solo can draw his gun on Greedo (well, thatís up for debate). Coming this January is Star Wars from all-star creative team Jason Aaron and John Cassaday. If youíre looking to join a darker side of the force, try Darth Vader from Kieron Gillen and Salvador Larroca, beginning in February. But sometimes it takes a strong female protagonist with a strong hairdo to settle the score, so look for Star Wars: Princess Leia from Mark Waid and Terry Dodson coming this March! If you canít decide on one, order all three for a special combo price.

Really? Of all the characters to give a solo spin-off, you pick Princess Leia? Han and Chewie are sad. I also question the need for a Darth Vader comic, since he's dead and all. I can't see a clear answer on whether or not the regular "Star Wars" comic will be tied into Episode VII. Then, will these stories be officially "in canon" for the foreseeable future (5-10 years)?

"Star Wars", the comic, is part of what got me into comics as a wee lad. I liked them on some level (nostalgia), even though as I got older I realized they were garbage. Never got into the whole "Expanded Universe" junk from the 90's, but I was suckered into buying Dark Horse's "Star Wars #1" in 1999.
<!---Hit Paydirt with K-Dirt--->
DWS Apparel Store- Buy. Consume. Obey.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

SamoaRowe
Member Avatar
dWb Superstar
[ *  *  * ]
Soooooo, how about that trailer, eh? My inner 14 year old self is mad at me because this is the movie he wanted in 1999.

Erick Von Erich
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
Finally watched the full trailer, this morning. On my desktop, full-screen and with headphones. MUCH more engrossing than when I first watched it a few weeks ago on my iPhone. I'm sorry, but mobile phone video viewing is only good for two things: watching cute cat videos or baseball while waiting somewhere.

Anyways, I think the overall longevity and appeal of Episode VII will depend on the two new main characters-- the "I'm no one" chick and the ex-Stromtrooper guy (who appears to be carrying a lightsaber at one point?!). I think the ex-Trooper (Finn, right?) sounds like a good story all by himself.

Lots of Stormtrooper screentime in the trailers--- but they've become much more iconic in the past 30 years.

I still think/hope the main bad guy could be Luke after a freak-out/heel turn. Guy leaves his home, changes his lifestyle and career path, adopts a new religion, goes to war, almost dies several times and loses his hand... all over lust for some hot chick who ended up being his sister. To add insult, she ended up hooking up with a drug smuggler. Yeah, Luke doesn't need counseling.

After all... how is it that the new bad guy just happens to have Darth Vader's old burned-out helmet? One which Luke set fire to at the end of "Return of the Jedi".

I'm sure there's a reasonable (and kinda' cool) explanation for it, though. He was following the path of Vader and located his body on Endor. So he went there, after the Rebels had left, slaughtered a few Ewoks and found the helmet.

SamoaRowe
Member Avatar
dWb Superstar
[ *  *  * ]
I'm sensing that Luke Skywalker is going to be the surprise Big Bad villain of this trilogy. I think that's why we see so little of him in the trailers compared to how much we've glimpsed Han, Chewie, and now Leia. I think Kylo Ren will be a big deal, but I wonder if he's a red herring meant to distract us from the Skywalker factor.

I think it would be funny if after having Anakin as the hero of the first trilogy, and then villain to the second trilogy, Luke ends doing the same.

Erick Von Erich
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
So I'm guessing a few of you have seen this, by now. Feel free to talk about it and I'd say SPOILERS are okay.

I'm seeing it tomorrow afternoon... so expect some babblings from me on Thursday morning. I know you're all waiting for that, because the entire frickin' world (and Internets) revolve around ME.

Scrooge McSuck
I'll get you next time, toilet!
[ *  *  * ]
LOL

I went and saw it last night, and without spoilers, I'd say it was a very entertaining 2+ hours, it made me care for the new characters (most of them), gave us some old ones in cameos and surprisingly large roles, and just gave me new hope after how remarkably bad Episodes 1-2 and to certain extents, Episode 3 was.

My only complaints were one character who I assumed was going to be a bigger deal being treated as an afterthought, and teasing a death only to go "fooled you!" Even scenes that were predictable and maybe a bit corny gave me goosebumps.

I'd give it 3-1/2 out of 4, or a 4 out of 5.
Posted Image
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Erick Von Erich
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
I'd say it's a worthy addition to the Star Wars series and fits in very well.

SPOILER-STUFF

-Lot of connections and similarities to the first film. But it worked.

-Like seeing "The Hobbit", you've just paid $15-20 to see a movie about spaceships, robots and wizards... so don't try to be cool. Just enjoy it.

-Since Star Wars (proper) left movies in 1983, we've seen more modern sci-fi flicks and thought: "hey, something like that would've been cool in Star Wars". Thinking of flicks like "Aliens" and the relaunched "Battlestar Galactica" series. Felt like those were worked in.

-Glad they found Luke in the final minute. I was dreading that they were going to end with them flying off to find him and thinking it was all a set-up for Episode 8. So, yay.

-My first thought when they found Luke:"oh shit. It's the island from LOST. This is going to suck".

-Y'know, it may very well have been the same filming location for parts of LOST. Those rocky crags and shores looked familiar. Same way Peter Jackson re-used sets he liked for "Lord of the Rings".

-My second thought when they found Luke: "hey, he looks good OLD! Actually... he kinda' looks like Oliver Reed, now".

-No way to tell while watching, but Daniel Craig as the Stormtrooper was a fun Easter egg.

-I figured the big DEATH was coming... because the new Big Bad Guy needed some way to get the audience to dislike him. Aside from dressing in black and being all mean. Now, we think he's a giant asshole emo douche-bag.

-Also glad they didn't tease Kylo Ren's unmasking and his connection. It was established about 1/2 way through that he's Han and Leia's kid. With enough new questions, this is one we didn't need hanging.

-I expected more background on Finn's switch. He sees blood and decides that being a Stormtrooper sucks. This will probably be filled in more, as we go on. As it is, his motivation doesn't seem justified.

-While the speculation is that Rey is Luke's kid (or Obi-Wan's grandaughter), I'd put my money on her being Kylo Ren's twin sister. They seemed to be symbolizing that in her duel with Kylo Ren. Plus the way she gravitated to Han..and it makes her big hug with Leia seem all the more important. It's said that twins run in the family.

-Yeah, so the Millennium Falcon AND the Old Guy with Vital Info are both on the same planet as Rey? Seems suspicious.

-"Supreme Leader Snoke"? Errr. Probably the weakest part, to me. He reminded me of "Imperious Leader" from the 1970's "Battlestar Galactica". That's not a compliment.

-They made the First Order come off like straight-up Nazi cockbags. Especially in that giant troop scene. Nazis were supposedly some of Lucas' inspiration for the original Empire, so that was appropriate.

-In the final battle(s), I kept thinking: "please let Chewbacca survive! Please let Chewbacca survive!" I would've cried like a baby if they had killed off Chewie. I was extremely happy when he showed up in the Falcon. As I've gotten older, I just frickin' love Chewbacca all the more.

-Along those lines, I think the only good thing the prequels gave us was those 45 seconds of Wookie Army Ass-Kicking.

Scrooge McSuck
I'll get you next time, toilet!
[ *  *  * ]
I'm seeing a lot of complaints over Finn using a lightsaber. Did everyone miss the scene where he fights a stormtrooper and the Trooper is trained in combat with that type of weapon? No, he won't have the force to guide his thoughts and do fancy tricks, but its still a possible scenario, and guess what... he wasn't very good with it.

I thought his development was too sudden, but they made me really invested in the character and I feared his death when Kylo Ren sliced him up his spine.

Also disappointed in the way Captain Phasma was introduced as a high ranking trooper... and is easily made to look like a chump. But you gotta' sell toys!

I don't know enough about Snoke, but so far I'm leaning thumbs down. Maybe they'll give us more to chew on in Episode VIII, but so far, kylo Ren is the only villain I really want to see get his, but also hope he can be reformed.
Posted Image
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

The Swigg Lebowski
Member Avatar
Current Two Time DWB Champion
[ *  *  * ]
I felt like it was a solid continuation of the story of the originals.

I really liked how they used Finn and Rey to demonstrate the difference in how the story of the originals was told to the different sides. Finn believing that Han was a general in the resistance.

Count me in on thinking Rey is Ren's sister. It's such a natural continuation of the family story.

I loved seeing Han and Chewie so early on. I also popped for Greg Grunberg. I know he's one of JJ's friends and "go-to" guys, but I thought he worked perfectly for what little he did.

I do like that Kylo Ren isn't as menacing and all-powerful as Darth Vader. His tantrums give you the feeling that he isn't invincible, which is good. It makes him a better heel, in my book.
Scrooge McSuck

I'm too hefty for my slacks. The zippers off it's tracks. I've stretched it to the maa-a-a-a-x.

SamoaRowe
Member Avatar
dWb Superstar
[ *  *  * ]
I loved every bit of this movie.

I liked how Kylo Ren continues Anakin Skywalker's tradition as the emotional, whiny, unlikable nuisance, but this time he's the VILLAIN so it works perfectly.

I hope Rey isn't related to Ren in any way, shape or form, because that seems like far too convenient of an OMG PLOT TWIST!!! I could buy her being a relative of Obi-Wan Kenobi, but being any relation to the Skywalker's or Solo's is just pushing it a touch too far for my tastes.

Loved, loved, LOVED the final showdown in the snowy forest as the planet is crumbling apart. That Finn/Rey vs. Ren finale was vicious, personal, and to borrow a phrase from wrestling, well-booked. Ren was sporting a nasty wound from getting blasted by Chewbacca and was fighting one-handed, giving Finn and Rey the opportunity to hold their own against him. I like that when we last hear of Ren he's getting shipped off for more training, so he should be quite the monstrosity in Episode VIII.

I honestly felt that Rey was the perfect choice for main hero this time around and that Daisy Ridley nailed the performance. I got chills when she wielded Luke's lightsabre for the final showdown (and I'm more than curious to find out how that lightsabre made it from Cloud City to that closet).

I could go on and on about this movie. I saw it a second time yesterday and somehow liked it even more.

Erick Von Erich
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
One little tidbit that I forgot to mention: noticed that the Millennium Falcon has a square radar dish, now. Since the old circular radar dish was busted off during the big Death Star II battle in "Return of the Jedi". Continuity!

DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · TV and Movies · Next Topic »
Add Reply