Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Da Wrestling Board. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
OAO Autograph Thread
Topic Started: Apr 27 2013, 07:45 PM (20,570 Views)
Mad Dog
Member Avatar
ho ho who the hell are you?
[ *  *  * ]
I dug a shit ton of old cards (football, baseball, basketball, etc.) from my parents basement. I decided that I was going to start mailing these cards out and trying to get as many signed as possible. I'm getting some cards in the Topps Heritage line so you'll see some modern players pop up. But you're going to mostly see 80s/90s players on here. Most of these people are receiving two cards, so if you see a success on someone you want, PM me and if the card isn't spoken for, I will send it to you.

I will say right away that Reds and Pistons players are going to be top priority. I'm also sticking to guys that have high success rates with through the mail. So don't expect super high level guys all the time.

I sent my first set off today and the clock begins on seeing who sends me some signed goodies back.

Here's my initial list:

MMA:

Mark Coleman

Baseball:

Chris Inanetta - SUCCESS 4/27/2013 to 5/6/2013
Hal Morris
Jason Giambi
Ubaldo Jimenez
Heath Bell
Jerrod Washburn
Buck Showalter - SUCCESS 5/6/2013 to 5/13/2013
Chase Headley
Daniel Hudson
Doug Fister
Todd Benzinger
Paul O'Neill
Joe Oliver - SUCCESS 5/8/2013 to 5/23/2013
Chris Sabo
Jack McKeon - SUCCESS 5/8/2013 to 5/20/2013
Matt Capps
Matt Laporta
Todd Frazier
Drew Stubbs
Edwin Jackson
Mike Cameron - SUCCESS 5/11/2013 tp 5/17/2013
Brad Ausmus
Bill Mueller
Ned Yost
Jed Lowrie
Pat Neshek - SUCCESS 5/13/2013 to 5/20/2013
Pete Harnisch
Michael Tucker
Ryan Dempster
Jamie Moyer
Sean Casey
Bob Boone
Jeff Reed
Jonny Gomes

Basketball:

Mark Price
Joe Dumars
John Salley
John Paxson - SUCCESS 4/29/2013 to 5/22/2013
Steve Kerr
Kevin McHale
Robert Parish
Ron Harper
David Robinson
Jerry Sloan - SUCCESS 5/1/2013 to 5/16/2013
Brad Daugherty - SUCCESS 5/6/2013 to 5/13/2013
John Hornacek
Craig Ehlo
Larry Nance
Dirk Nowitzki
Charles Oakley
Bill Wennington
Dennis Hopson
Dave Corzine
Danny Ferry
Cliff Levingston
Sidney Moncrief

Football:

Bobby Humphrey - SUCCESS 5/2/2013 to 5/20/2013
Steve Atwater - SUCCESS 5/2/2013 to 5/18/2013
Eric Ball
Steve Grogan - SUCCESS 5/3/2013 to 5/13/2013
Andre Ware
Steve Walsh
Karl Mecklenberg
Mike Tomczak
Hardy Nickerson
Jeff George - SUCCESS 5/4/2013 to 5/9/2013
Jim McMahon - SUCCESS 5/4/2013 to 5/14/2013
Eric Metcalf
Mike Johnson
Matt Schaub
Dermontti Dawson - SUCCESS 5/13/2013 to 5/20/2013
Bubby Brister
Steve McMichael
Lawrence Taylor
Drew Bledsoe
Brian Griese
Ed McCaffrey
Bruce Armstrong - SUCCESS 5/17/2013 to 5/24/2013
Ron Rivera
Herschel Walker
Tony Gonzalez
Willie McGinest
Jim Harbaugh

Hockey:

Brett Hull
Tomas Holmstrom
Chris Osgood
Chris Chelios

Wrestling:

Jerry Lawler
Harley Race - SUCCESS 5/11/2013 to 5/20/2013
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Mad Dog
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
Kevin McHale has about a six month turn around but I'm sending a card for him to sign. I also added Steve Kerr and John Paxson as they appear to be dependable signers.

Mad Dog
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
Sent cards out for Jason Giambi and David Robinson this morning. Robinson looks like a better than average shot and Giambi looks like 50/50.

Mad Dog
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
I'll continue to post updates but I will update the first post with a master list of successes and failures as things start coming in. I'll also post the turn around time.

SamoaRowe
Member Avatar
dWb Superstar
[ *  *  * ]
Ah man, I don't have too many autographs.

Bryan Danielson (framed t-shirt)
Bret Hart
Sara Del Rey (photo and numerous SHIMMER dvds)
Daizee Haze
Titus O'Neil and Darren Young
The Nostalgia Critic
Butcher Vachon (book and photo)

I feel like I should have Johnny Gargano's but I neglected getting him to sign anything.

Mad Dog
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
I know that Harley Race, Bob Orton Jr., Jerry Lawler and Hulk Hogan are all reliable guys to get autographs through the mail from.

Mad Dog
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
Jerrod Washburn, Heath Bell, Ubaldo Jimenz and Jerry Sloan head out the door today.

Erick Von Erich
Member Avatar
I'm Big E and I tell it like it is
[ *  *  * ]
I can just about guarantee that you'll get Chris Iannetta back, ASAP.

You should check out my old "E's got Balls" thread on here, somewhere. Picked up Joey Votto on a baseball in Phoenix, last month. Was just incredibly lucky.

I started doing the "Through The Mail" thing with old cards, last summer. Got quite a few and, like you said, mostly old 80s/90s guys. Biggest "names" I've gotten are probably Will Clark, Mike Modano, Jamie Moyer and Ed "Too Tall" Jones. Went for a lot of old Broncos, as long as they had a good record of responding (Keith Kartz, Mike Harden and Mike Horan). No way will I ever get John Elway through the mail... but Steve Atwater supposedly has a great turnaround rate.

It was mostly me cleaning out my desk and finding a random stash of extra cards. If the player was someone I liked or remembered, I'd check to see if their address was available. Otherwise, the cards were trashed.

I stopped doing it at the beginning of the year because I was in the process of moving. Now that I'm done, I'll get back to it as soon as I'm unpacked.

Which site do you use for your mailing addresses? I've been using this one, exclusively, and have had good success:
http://www.sportscardforum.com/ttm.php?do=list&sp=2

Rowe: there are a few wrestlers listed there.

A friend of mine got an autographed pic from Nick Offerman, who plays the awesome Ron Swanson on "Parks & Recreation". It was personalized and said something like: "Meat. Freedom. Happiness". I'm insanely jealous.
<!---Hit Paydirt with K-Dirt--->
DWS Apparel Store- Buy. Consume. Obey.

Mad Dog
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
Yeah, that's the site I started using. I ordered a box of 90s Topps cards for really cheap. So I'm going to start hitting more baseball players too. Sticking mostly to safe bets early. I'm hoping to see some guys start to filter in next week. Kerr and Ianetta seem like the most likely first returns. Though Robert Parish is quick too.

Looking at Harley Race as my send out tonight.

Mad Dog
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
In honor of E, sending 2 1990 Score cards off to Bobby Humphrey for tomorrow.

Erick Von Erich
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
Wha?!! Bobby Humphrey?! He's still alive?

Seriously. Last I heard, he was in jail. Which, now that I think about it, was in early 1993. REALLY in the past, and holy turds do I feel old.

Humphrey is the prime example of how a contract holdout can kill a career. His first two years, he was a 1,000 yard rusher for the Donkeys and a key reason they went 11-5 and won the AFC in 1989. The team was awful in 1990, but Humphrey still went over 1,000 despite injuries.

He thought the team would miss him, so he held out prior to 1991 for a new contract. Gaston Green came in, went over 1,000 and made the Pro Bowl. While all the Donkeys did was go 12-4, win the division and make it to the AFC title game. Arguably, this was the best team of the Dan Reeves era (yes, I still believe they would've beaten the Redskins had they made the Super Bowl). Humphrey ended his holdout sometime in late October, playing in maybe 3 games before being declared "inactive" for the remainder. Also hurt that rookie Greg Lewis was in the backfield.

In 1992, they traded Humphrey to the Dolphins for Sammie Smith. Reeves' first words about Smith were: "this is not what we hoping to get in return for Bobby". Smith played one game for the Broncos, then was injured. Humphrey had a pretty good year for the Dolphins in '92, but after the season he was pulled over by the cops for either possession or DUI, got shot in the leg a week later, and he was gone from the NFL.

Mad Dog
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
The next group I sent out were Steve Atwater, Eric Ball, Andre Ware, Steve Walsh and Steve Grogan.

Erick Von Erich
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
I'm still trying to find the perfect card to send to Atwater. All of my extras of him are fairly dark photography and will not autograph well. I'd like to get his 1989 Pro Set draft pick card signed, but I have no idea where it is.

I got a "success" from Steve Walsh back in October. #1 pick Pro Set card from 1989. Looks great. I guess he's a football coach at a Florida high school.

I found my envelopes and have queued up Antonio Langham and Jed Lowrie to send out. Just need to get some stamps.

Mad Dog
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
I sent this 1990 Score card.

Posted Image

Mad Dog
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
I'm hoping to maybe see something filter in tomorrow but I'm guessing I won't see my first one back until next week. I'm guessing it will be Kerr or Ianetta that I get back first.

ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Enjoy forums? Start your own community for free.
Learn More · Sign-up Now
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Sports · Next Topic »
Add Reply