Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Da Wrestling Board. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Agents of SHIELD
Topic Started: May 13 2013, 10:50 AM (7,784 Views)
Erick Von Erich
Member Avatar
I'm Big E and I tell it like it is
[ *  *  * ]
I think I've given up on this show and have bailed. Tried, twice, to watch the sixth episode, "F.Z.Z.T" about an alien electro-virus.

The cast just drives me crazy. Coulson's good in small doses in the movies, but I don't think he's very convincing (or heroic) as the field op in the suit n' tie. Sometimes I feel like I'm watching an old episode of "Get Smart" and expect him to whip out a device from his shoe.

Every team needs a tech-nerd helping them, nowadays. But 50% of this team is tech-nerds.

Feeling a little hoodwinked about the show, overall. I envisioned more a black ops show, not this crappy "Clue Club meets Criminal Minds" vibe the show has. I can't get away from the fact that if "Marvel" wasn't on the title, I wouldn't be watching this.

I'm sure there will be little background connections from this show in future Marvel movies. But I can do without knowing every little detail.
<!---Hit Paydirt with K-Dirt--->
DWS Apparel Store- Buy. Consume. Obey.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

SamoaRowe
Member Avatar
dWb Superstar
[ *  *  * ]
This week's episode was the clunkiest yet.

Coulson just knows the professor is an Asgardian because, get this, he's calm, arrogant, and has nice things. He's willing to have Ward stab the guy in the chest to confirm his hunch.

Oh, and Ward and May are knocking boots now, because, why the hell not? That's the most character development they've tossed at May since the second episode, and Ward has lost any likability he might have had at the beginning.

On the flip side, Fitz-Simmons have grown on me, and I like Skye. But yeah, this show is in big trouble. It seems like no one is really enjoying it and any discussion online seems to be arguments on how to fix it.

Erick Von Erich
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
Finally saw "Captain America: The Winter Soldier" and was curious how it would affect "Agents of SHIELD". So I gave the show a fair shake and watched the last 3 or 4 episodes of the first season.

Sadly, not even a sizable guest spot from Samuel L M F Jackson could save the show. In the Marvel movies, SHIELD seems like a powerful and deceptive agency. In this show, they seem more like the school from "Facts of Life". Everything's about Skye-- she's so smart n' sassy, can hack into anything and everybody loves her! Her unknown parents are also set-up to a big plot point for a second season.

Oh, they also added a crappy version of Deathlok to the "Marvel Movie/TV U". One who looks like the fourth member of The Shield, right down to the chest protector. He even used Rollins' Curb Stomp to finish off the big bad guy.

The big bad guy? It was Bill Paxson doing a very melodramatic crazy rogue agent. His motivation was eventually downplayed as him simply misunderstanding one of Nick Fury's recruitment speeches.

To the surprise of nobody, SHIELD actually gets re-formed at the end of Season One, so they can still pop-up in future Marvel movies. Coulson's the director, now, and Fury's kinda' watching from afar. They probably just won't be as public as they were, before. I mean, poop, how many times has SHIELD dis-banded and re-started in the comics?

My main problems with this show are still the cast. I just don't care for them. They added a new guy to the team: Antoine Triplett; but you wouldn't know it. My opinion is still the same as it was before: if "Marvel" wasn't attached to this, there's no way I would've watched it. I've seen better action and drama on those cheesy Sci-Fi Channel original shows from the late 90's.

SamoaRowe
Member Avatar
dWb Superstar
[ *  *  * ]
I saw Captain America: Winter Soldier, at long last, yesterday. It lead to me finishing the final 7-8 episodes of Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. and I enjoyed the entire story arc coming out of Winter Soldier. I pretty much cheered at Ward's heel turn, but did become worried when they were still expecting us to feel some level of sympathy later on. I don't know if this twist with Ward was always the plan or if it was them salvaging an otherwise bland, unlikable character, but it worked. I think the season ended on a strong enough note that I'll pick it back up in the fall.

Erick Von Erich
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
Marvel put out some promo stills for the new season:

http://marvel.com/news/tv/23266/shield_sho...es_from_shadows

Slide #5 makes me smile.

I think I'll let everybody else watch this show "live". If the buzz is positive, I'll catch up via Hulu. One day...after I've finished watching "Hill Street Blues", "Gatchaman", all the MST3K eps on Netflix, the 1995 RAWs, etc.

SamoaRowe
Member Avatar
dWb Superstar
[ *  *  * ]
I'll watch the premiere live (or close to it) and see how things go. If it becomes a chore, I'm willing to drop it quick. Hopefully having Patton Oswalt as a recurring character will help sustain my interest.

Erick Von Erich
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
Watched the premiere and all I can say is: "it was better than last season". Looks to be straight-up "HYDRA vs. SHIELD", which is probably what fans want.

Cute little shout-out to nerds, as they worked in Absorbing Man's signature ball-n-chain.

From the one episode, it seems Coulson works better as a desk-job guy. I couldn't buy him as the front-line assault-type guy that they tried to use him as, last year. Skye-- still can't stand her, but at least she wasn't The Key to Success, again.

Keeping Fitz and (I hear voices in my head, they talk to me) Simmons in their little lab is another good call. Lucy Lawless might be a temporary character, but if nothing else it extends her appearances at "cons" for the next 10 years. Xena, Battlestar Galactica and now SHIELD (I'm sure I'm missing a few)... she's almost like a female Patrick Stewart.

Brigadier General Talbot is SO over-the-top, but I guess that's the point. They need some sort of authoritative foil to outwit and to cause them future hassles.

Still a lot of stuff that makes me embarrassed to watch: "The Playground", "the Bus", "The Sandbox". What, no "Jungle Gym" or "Principal's Office"? Pretty soon they'll be naming a mission "Recess" and might all meet at "the Bike Rack". Nyuk nyuk.

Patton Oswalt's schtick has gotten tired, to me at least. He's done so many guest spots, where he plays essentially the same character, that's it not "special" to see him. Pretty soon it'll be cool to NOT have Patton Oswalt on your show.

Erick Von Erich
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
Watched the "first half season finale" and, still, the best compliment I can give is "it was better than last season".

-This season presented Mockingbird (unnamed), Blizzard, the Absorbing Man and lots of Hydra.

-The only way you could tell it's Mockingbird is that she carries around two battle-staves. They don't expand or retract (yet), but they do have electrical shocks.

-New cast additions were a plus, for the most part. "Mac" the big strong bald dude gets a little too "let's talk about your feelings", at times.

-They were searching for The City and The Temple. Writers: "darnit! We forgot to come up with cool names for those, didn't we?"

-When they first started talking about "The City", all I could think of was the Inhumans' Attilan.

-Apparently, the Kree built some sort of fortress under San Juan, Puerto Rico way back when. You can get to it by falling down a hole!

-There's also "The Obelisk/The Diviner" which is some sort of magic key. When placed in The Temple it turned into crystal and released some gas (soon to be called "The Crystal" and "The Gas", I'm sure). Could be Terrigen Mists, so given the Kree involvement, that's still my guess.

-Anytime you can get the Inhumans (if they call them that) without having to involve the FF; that's a good thing.

-They should just say "screw it" and name the show: "THE AMAZING SENSATIONAL SPECTACULAR WEB OF SKYE....and the Agents of SHIELD". She's still super-central to the plot. She now apparently has some special powers and is a half-alien or an Inhuman.

-I'm apparently one of the few people who doesn't find Patton Oswalt drop-dead hilarious. See, he has twin brothers (or an LMD)?! Isn't that funny?! It gets everybody, every time, so we'll be sure to include little jokes about that as often as possible. Tee hee.

Erick Von Erich
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
Yes, yes, I will beat this dead horse until it's a lumpy puddle of goo!

I enjoyed the "Agent Carter" replacement series while it ran and thus gave "Agents of SHIELD" yet ANOTHER try upon its return. Still don't like it. Almost starting to hate it.

Things pick up, a little, whenever they fight HYDRA, but it's so infrequent that it's not worth it. They had a big meeting of HYDRA Bigwigs... explaining that Baron Von Strucker was missing. Oooo-- a connection to "Avengers 2". *fart* They also name-drop "Terrigenesis", sorta' confirming all the (fan) theories from last year.

Skye is still an awful actress. It's no real fault of hers. It's just that the stories are written to make her paramount to every little thing and it's not working. If you had a strong actress, it might work... but it's also a tough sell having this dainty little chick who looks like she should be in a 90's Clearasil commercial as your lead. Oh, she's now supposed to be "Daisy Johnson", aka "Quake" from the pages of "New Avengers" a few years back.

Thinking back to when this series premiered, Skye was supposed to be the hook or inlet for viewers. She's the seemingly average everyday gal who gets pulled in this weird world of super-spies and alien shit; just like the audience is supposed to be.

With "Daredevil" coming up and plenty of other cool shows for me to watch (why didn't anybody tell me that "Vikings" is frickin' awesome?!), I don't want to spend 48 minutes a week being incredibly frustrated and flat-out bored with "SHIELD". I watched the entire new season of "House of Cards" and felt like it neither insulted my intelligence nor wasted my time. "SHIELD" does. So, bye.

The Swigg Lebowski
Member Avatar
Current Two Time DWB Champion
[ *  *  * ]
My wife and I have watched the show pretty consistently from the beginning, and it's wearing out.
We would have loved it if the show were more "procedural" with Coulson and May investigating incidents, and the team being more background related. (a la Castle, Bones, etc) Having so many stories to focus on ends up watering down everything, especially if it's related to the less interesting cast members like Skye or Ward.
Scrooge McSuck

I'm too hefty for my slacks. The zippers off it's tracks. I've stretched it to the maa-a-a-a-x.

« Previous Topic · TV and Movies · Next Topic »
Add Reply