Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Da Wrestling Board. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
The Death of the U.S. Indy scene
Topic Started: Aug 15 2013, 06:48 PM (3,462 Views)
Mad Dog
Member Avatar
ho ho who the hell are you?
[ *  *  * ]
Seriously...

No Chikara
Ring of Honor is awful
who gives a fuck about Dragon Gate or Evolve

there's PWG and CWFH but both of those are on the west coast and PWG costs money to get into.

What's left out there?
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

The Swigg Lebowski
Member Avatar
Current Two Time DWB Champion
[ *  *  * ]
There's a lot of debate about whether or not Chikara is truly dead. They do have all the different "Wrestling Is..." shows, but there's not a lot of other options, sadly. Nothing on a large scale at least. I have been into some DGUSA and Evolve, but not like I was with Chikara. ROH is really the saddest. It was the best company hands down, even possibly the #2 company in the country, and now it's just another small time wrestling show with TV.
Scrooge McSuck

I'm too hefty for my slacks. The zippers off it's tracks. I've stretched it to the maa-a-a-a-x.

SamoaRowe
Member Avatar
dWb Superstar
[ *  *  * ]
I've been to a couple Wrestling is Art shows and they are a blast and really capture the CHIKARA feel. They are suffering from not having the CHIKARA brand name and not as many big indy names for their events, so the crowds aren't as big as when CHIKARA was in town last summer, but I'm really making an effort to support them as much as I can.

It doesn't seem like the CHIKARA closing will be permanent. Their website is still up and rumor has it the company was only dissolved so Mike Quackenbush wouldn't risk losing it in his divorce.

Like I said before, I'm done with ROH unless it starts building some serious buzz that demands my attention.

I'm really conflicted on DGUSA/EVOLVE. Whenever I watch an individual event, I tend to enjoy it, but I haven't been that compelled to follow the product full-time. Gabe also has become the Weezer of wrestling booking, in that he still produces some enjoyable stuff, but also makes a lot of strange decisions, and it's just frustrating because some of his past booking was so great.

Right now I don't feel the need to try and follow any indy company through DVDs. If they want to run shows 50 miles from my house, that's one thing, I'll go and have a good time and support them that way, but that's pretty much all I want to do.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Erick Von Erich
Member Avatar
I'm Big E and I tell it like it is
[ *  *  * ]
Do you count the local "promotions" that rent out a high-school gym or church, featuring local scrubs and one or two former WWE or TNA performers? If so, there's still a buncha' stuff like that out there.

I followed one from San Antonio for about three months, about a year ago.
<!---Hit Paydirt with K-Dirt--->
DWS Apparel Store- Buy. Consume. Obey.

SamoaRowe
Member Avatar
dWb Superstar
[ *  *  * ]
I'm thinking of promotions like Beyond Wrestling or Top Rope Promotions that do bring in some name talent from time to time, but mostly rely on local talent. They tend to run in armories and gyms.

Mad Dog
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
I don't count that variety. Most of those indy feds operate under a different model. We have a local one in Columbus called the IWA and that place has existed since the 1980s. They literally stay alive by training their own talent, paying them $20 a match and then live off the money of a couple hundred fans that go to all the shows.

Mad Dog
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
I think the Chikara name might be dead but I expect them to come back next spring/

torturedsoulv1
true maharajah Jinder Mahal
[ *  *  * ]
I have only been to 2 Indy Shows in my life and I've beem watching wrestling 30 years.

So I wouldn't know if the scene is dead or not.

Mad Dog
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
I think a big part of my lack of indy interest is NXT. It's really stolen the thunder of everyone else.

SamoaRowe
Member Avatar
dWb Superstar
[ *  *  * ]
I'm looking forward to going to Wrestling is Awesome in October, and another Wrestling is Art in November. These shows are highly affordable and provide the CHIKARA experience (including announcer Gavin Loudspeaker). This is good enough for me. I don't even think about ROH or DGUSA possibly coming back to the Boston area anymore.

SamoaRowe
Member Avatar
dWb Superstar
[ *  *  * ]
It's worth mentioning that Davey Richards and Eddie Edwards are getting a try-out with WWE (according to Sean Radican at PWTorch). If they head to WWE, that's yet another blow to ROH, as they rely pretty heavily on those two to put on the type of long matches full of big spots to keep their DVDs selling.

Richards had said in interviews that he wasn't really interested in WWE because he didn't think he'd like the schedule. He was more interested in having a short, yet fulfilling indy career and then going off to be a firefighter or something until retirement. I guess he's had a change of heart, maybe seeing Daniel Bryan rise in the company and get rich has had something to do with it.

EvilWayzWrestlingStylez
Friend of Pete Doherty
[ * ]
:o I am offended there is a company called pwx out of nc
been so long long hard days

lucaskieren
Member Avatar
The night is dark and full of spoilers
[ *  *  * ]
I would love to watch indy wrestling live. Especialy PWG as I've seen some great shows and the atmosphere looks great. Shame I live in the UK l, you guys are so lucky you have all these options for just a drive away.
www.lkwrestlingreviews.co.uk
Your Home for News,Reviews and Rumors from the greatest sport in the world Pro Wrestling!

dynamite kido
Member Avatar
Harry Reems is my hero.
[ *  *  * ]
Indy wrestling is nowhere near dead. Honestly ROH is probably doing better financially than they ever did before. They certainly don't draw as good anymore either. PWG is doing great, CZW still runs regularly, and the east coast is constantly filled with Indy's. My local indy IWC is still up and running every month like they used to. I just think the majority of the internet wrestling community hasn't been all apeshit about Indy wrestling so it feels like it's in a lull.
Posted Image

SamoaRowe
Member Avatar
dWb Superstar
[ *  *  * ]
There's a good chance that ROH is profitable for Sinclair due to drawing what they claim to be good ratings in syndication, but the product has been flat for a long time and they can't seem to get any positive momentum going.

I tend to buy PWG DVDs and then not watch them for a long-ass time. I think the most DVD I've actually watched was the Kurt Russelmania show from 2012.

Fuck CZW.

There are a lot of strong indie feds going in my neck of the woods right now. I'm leaving for Wrestling is Art in less than an hour, with Colt Cabana headlining against Tim Donst.

Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Indy and International Wrestling · Next Topic »
Add Reply