Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Da Wrestling Board. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Marvel's new Netflix projects
Topic Started: Feb 28 2014, 09:21 AM (4,030 Views)
Erick Von Erich
Member Avatar
I'm Big E and I tell it like it is
[ *  *  * ]
Further establishing Netflix, Marvel is slated to begin a massive, inter-connecting, series of episodes revolving around Daredevil, Power Man (Luke Cage), Iron Fist and Jessica Jones.

Quote:

The ambitious multi-superhero, multi-series endeavor will include nearly 60 one-hour TV episodes

New York City is an important center of the Marvel Universe, and a deal between parent company Disney and the State of New York will make the city the hub of the company’s ambitious new Netflix series.

Disney CEO Bob Iger and Governor Andrew Cuomo announced in Times Square on Wednesday that the state has carved out tax incentives valued at around $4 million to accommodate the needs of the massive multi-character series, which should consist of at minimum nearly 60 hour-long TV episodes.

There will be 13 episodes devoted to each of the four main characters — Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Luke Cage and Iron Fist — plus a four-to-eight episode mini-series centered on “The Defenders” team that will wrap it all together.

“Since 2008 Disney has directly contributed almost half a billion dollars to New York’s economy through television and film production, along with approximately 9,000 jobs for New Yorkers,” Iger said. “The Governor’s policies make this great state a more affordable and attractive location, opening the door for even greater economic investment and job creation for New Yorkers. Our Marvel series for Netflix will inject millions directly into the local economy and create hundreds of new jobs.”

According to the state’s release, the series should create at least 3,000 jobs, including 400 full-time jobs. The governor’s office estimates that production in New York State this year should generate $2.11 billion in spending, while companies recoup $477 million.

The deal was first announced in November. will feature comic book heroes. The Daredevil series will be written by “Cabin in the Woods” director Drew Goddard, who is a disciple of Joss Whedon, the “Avengers” director and one of the hands helping guide Marvel Studios President Kevin Feige navigate what is becoming an increasingly massive and tangled universe.

The four Netflix series represent the studio’s big venture into streaming television, while its “Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.,” shown on Disney’s ABC broadcast network, is its foothold in traditional TV.

Sony’s “The Amazing Spider-Man 2,” which is due out this summer, also shot in New York City, and was touted last year as the biggest movie production in the state’s history.

Filming Marvel stuff in New York?! What a zany idea!

At the least, it sounds better than "Agent of SHIELD". I'm sure some fanboy will have kittens over the fact that only Luke Cage could really be considered a "Defender", but I think the group might work out closer to the 2000-2001 "Marvel Knights" non-team that was fronted by Daredevil.

(Sure, Daredevil was a "second-level Defender" due to his recurring guest star spots with the team in the 70's and 80's).
<!---Hit Paydirt with K-Dirt--->
DWS Apparel Store- Buy. Consume. Obey.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Erick Von Erich
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
Here Comes... Daredevil

[doHTML]<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/jAy6NJ_D5vU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>[/doHTML]

April 10, 2015.: all episodes released on Netflix. So there's my lunchtime viewing activity for awhile.

Little teaser or "stinger" at the end of the preview, with a line of dialogue that ties it into the "Marvel Cinematic U".

SamoaRowe
Member Avatar
dWb Superstar
[ *  *  * ]
Looks awesome, I can't wait to see this. I'm glad they took the TV-MA approach too, a slightly ballsy move for the otherwise mass-audience friendly MCU.

Erick Von Erich
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
Huh. I didn't even noticed the TV-MA rating until you mentioned it. That is interesting.

I'm waiting for some sarcastic fanboy (with too much time on their hands) to edit this trailer and set it to the tune of that awful "Wake Me Up! Wake me up, insiiiiide" song from the 2003 Daredevil flick.

Erick Von Erich
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
A few episodes into "Daredevil" and so far I feel it's time well spent (watching TV). I'd say episode 4 is when it starts to really pick up. Initial thoughts:

-In some ways, the series is like a "prime time police procedural drama", like "Law & Order". But imagine if one of those detectives would then run out and beat the shit out of the bad guys, after hours.

-Daredevil hasn't been named, so far. His costume's just black workout gear and a simple do-rag. Makes it more believable. It's implied, early on, that the costume will be adjusted over time.

-Ben Urich is being played by "Not Morgan Freeman". Good character and actor, though. He works for a newspaper, but it's not the Daily Bugle (forget the exact name).

-In a scene in Urich's office, there's much Fanboy Jizz over an old newspaper front page that references the Avengers movie. But look even closer and there's also one about a big brouhaha in Harlem, referencing the Ed Norton "Incredible Hulk" flick.

-All of the scenes in Rosario Dawson's (Night Nurse) apartment are very poorly lit and dark. You almost want to adjust your screen settings for those.

-Daredevil uses the cheesy alias "Mike" at one point. Wasn't there a "Mike Murdock" twin brother subplot in the 1960's Daredevil comics? Never got into Daredevil comics, as they were pretty much a crappy version of Batman until the late 70's.

-The series is VERY violent. Almost gratuitous in some parts. Like (the also not-named) Kingpin smashing a guy's head in with a door, until blood gushes out like a spilled pitcher of Kool-Aid.

-The Old Lady gave this series a fair shake then bailed, as she could not get over the "he's blind" thing. Even after explaining to her DD's radar sense, hyper-senses and ninja training, she wasn't buying it. "He's blind". Yes, you could say that the Ben Affleck version did a better job of explaining Daredevil's unique abilities to the audience. Here, they just kinda' assume you know something about Daredevil as everything's not spelled-out and presented to you. At least, immediately.

-And yes, this is MUCH better than "Agents of SHIELD", so my expectations have been met.

Erick Von Erich
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
I'm up to episode 9, now, and this series gets better as it goes on. "Stick" (Episode 7) was my favorite, thus far.

Can't remember which episode, exactly, but they're already building up to Iron Fist by dropping in the Steel Serpent's logo/tattoo.

The Kingpin's "origin" episode was very well done. I let out an "oh shit" when his mom said: "get the saw".

My only real complaint is still Rosario Dawson's character. She doesn't add much, nor seem necessary, at this point. She's not in every episode, so I kinda' dread when I see her name in the show-opening credits.

Biggest compliment I can give is that I don't feel embarrassed, watching. I can't say that when I try to watch "Arrow", "Gotham" or "Flash". When I try those three, I often think: "sure would feel like an idiot if the Old Lady walked in and saw me watching this".

Erick Von Erich
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
Finished off the 13 episode season, last night. It got a little cheesy and melodramatic in the final 3 episodes. I think I preferred the home-spun costume Murdock had, over the final "official" suit he ends up with. Something about the mask and headgear just seems off.

After turning in a solid believable performance as Wilson Fisk for the majority of the series, Vincent D'onofrio was almost a silly caricature of what he had established, towards the end. Screaming "this is my city" was the nadir.

I REALLY like the Chinese mysticism they hinted at. They didn't bash you over the head with it, but it's a great set-up for future shows (primarily Iron Fist).

A few Avengers ties, as well. Both the movies and comics. Sure, Fisk's real estate scams and power-grabs were set-up by the big Avengers/Skrull fight, but the story includes call-outs to Carl "Crusher" Creel (seen on a boxing poster vs. Jack Murdock) along with Cornelius Van Lunt and his "crackpot astrologer". So there's an easy Taurus/Zodiac connection, should that ever be needed.

Connections to DD regulars Elektra, The Gladiator and Stilt-Man are even included. Watch for the 1950's "Atlas" logo to pop-up, too.

I missed the Stan Lee cameo, but reportedly he's seen in a picture on the police precinct's "wall of fame".

I think what I like about this extra stuff is, again, they don't bash you over the head with it. In "Agents of SHIELD" and "Agent Carter", they seem to MAKE SURE you get the name-drops of Stark, Steve Rogers, Avengers, etc. Even the Marvel movies are guilty of this. In "Daredevil" it seems much more organic when these happen.

It's not good "binge watching", though. Space it out over a few days or weeks and you'll enjoy it, more. Too many scenes seem to run together, episode-to-episode (really, there seem to be a LOT of abandoned and condemned buildings in Hell's Kitchen).

Oh--- now that I've finished this off, I can go back to watching wrestling over lunch.

Erick Von Erich
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
So...Daredevil season 2 is out. Three episodes into it and it continues the "tradition" of cheesy melodrama, especially with the dialogue. If you can watch this season and NOT root for Karen Page to die a painful death, you're a better man than I. Seeing her stand around with her mouth agape, seemingly always out of breath and scared, wears on the viewer.

Yet this season doesn't waste much time, as it's pretty heavy on the action. Daredevil's established, so there's no messing around and/or set-up.

Action is what you'd expect. A third episode scene of Daredevil beating up a biker gang in a stairwell has been getting all sorts of Internets Praise... but I found it incredibly redundant. Maybe I've been so jaded from watching choreographed 90's WCW cruiserweight matches or Jackie Chan movies, that I wasn't impressed; rather annoyed. "I get it...DD beats this guy, then flawlessly transitions into the next guy. I don't need 25 instances of this". I found DD's tactics especially violent. He wraps a chain around a guy's neck, yanks him off the stairs and he falls two flights, hitting the concrete. How was that not fatal? Sure seems weird, considering that this takes place immediately after DD just had a long face-off with the Punisher over lethal violence.

The Punisher? Yeah, he's around. Played by Jon Bernthal ("Shane from the Walking Dead"). His methods and demeanor seem realistic. Again, the dialogue does him no favors. He's all crew-cut and bid-ness. His presence officially ends any speculation that the 2004 and 2008 "Punisher" films were in the "Marvel Cinematic U". They nailed the character's look in "War Zone" with the slicked-back hair and a mild receding hairline.. but those movies really brought nothing to the table, overall.

Some little trivia and tie-ins. "Max", Punisher's dog, makes an appearance. Rosario Dawson returns and references how she got in trouble for "trying to do the right thing with somebody else" (Jessica Jones and Luke Cage).

I'll probably have more, as I go on.

SamoaRowe
Member Avatar
dWb Superstar
[ *  *  * ]
Just saw the first new episode on Sunday, then got caught up with work.

Your complaints about the dialogue and melodrama is basically how I feel about Arrow, Flash, and Gotham, and haven't been as bothered by that sort of thing in the first seasons of Jessica Jones or Daredevil. Now, I'll probably be looking for it and it'll drive me nuts, thanks :-P

Erick Von Erich
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
SamoaRowe,Mar 22 2016
11:51 AM
Your complaints about the dialogue and melodrama is basically how I feel about Arrow, Flash, and Gotham, and haven't been as bothered by that sort of thing in the first seasons of Jessica Jones or Daredevil. Now, I'll probably be looking for it and it'll drive me nuts, thanks :-P

It's been very hard for me to get into Arrow and Flash. Namely, because I feel everybody looks so young and pretty and it's like watching something like "Gossip Girl" with even sillier costumes. Whenever the Flash cast hangs out at that neon coffee bar, I feel like it's "Saved by the Bell" and the restaurant they always went to. I watch those shows and think:"wish this was a cartoon, so the actors wouldn't need to have so many close-ups and we'd be spared the HUMAN DRAMA".

Jessica Jones was able to swap out the melodrama with ANGST and SARCASM. Some of Patsy/Trish Walker's lines to Jessica were groan-inducing.

It's sounds like I'm tough on Daredevil's new season, but I'm really not. "Thumbs in the Middle"! I think Jon Bernthal is pretty convincing as the Punisher. Daredevil seems a little too much like a self-righteous Batman, thus far.

The Old Lady still can't get over the blindness thing and feels it's stupid. Even though I tell her Daredevil has "super senses". Yet she had no problem with Jessica Jones and Luke Cage's super-abilities. She watched that entire series in a day!

The Swigg Lebowski
Member Avatar
Current Two Time DWB Champion
[ *  *  * ]
I think the worst offender for melodrama has to be Arrow. After the first season, it's gone off the soap opera deep end. Flash does have some very pretty people, but it has better pacing and action that actually gets me interested. Although it does have some soap opera moments.

The Daredevil melodrama doesn't bother me as much. I think it's because it's actually saying something thematically. The 3rd episode uses Daredevil and Punisher to actually discuss what being a hero means, which seems hilariously prescient with Batman V Superman coming out. Although, it could be annoying if you've spent more time reading super-nerds arguing online about whether or not Superman kills.

Overall, I've really enjoyed this season of Daredevil. Although I agree that the stairway fight was a bit of overkill. The one in the first season wasn't so bad, as there were pauses were everyone wheezed and showed that they were tired. I felt it was a great contrast to the movie fight scenes where everyone is smiling and joking throughout the big battles
Scrooge McSuck

I'm too hefty for my slacks. The zippers off it's tracks. I've stretched it to the maa-a-a-a-x.

Erick Von Erich
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
Just looked up the top of this thread and noticed:

Quote:

There will be 13 episodes devoted to each of the four main characters — Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Luke Cage and Iron Fist — plus a four-to-eight episode mini-series centered on “The Defenders” team that will wrap it all together.

So when did they decide to add in a second 13-episode season of "Daredevil"? I was kinda' hoping we'd get Luke's solo series, then Iron Fist, before everybody teamed up in 'Defenders", then went back to their own second seasons.

I'm also wondering if "Luke Cage" got pushed aside or nixed, since he was a fairly huge part of "Jessica Jones".

SamoaRowe
Member Avatar
dWb Superstar
[ *  *  * ]
As far as I know, Luke Cage is still a go. I haven't heard any more rumblings about the combined mini-series, but I guess that wouldn't be until 2018 if it does happen, and they'll just keep churning out seasons of each show in the mean time.

SamoaRowe
Member Avatar
dWb Superstar
[ *  *  * ]
The Swigg Lebowski,Mar 23 2016
09:30 AM
I think the worst offender for melodrama has to be Arrow. After the first season, it's gone off the soap opera deep end. Flash does have some very pretty people, but it has better pacing and action that actually gets me interested. Although it does have some soap opera moments.

Easily. I can't stomach any more "I'm breaking up with you for your own good" type stories.

Erick Von Erich
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
So...FINALLY finished "Luke Cage" and it was a chore. Right now, I can safely say that it was my least favorite of the 4 Marvel series they've done.

When it was Luke doing Luke Things, I liked it. He's usually quiet and collected and seems like a very approachable, level-headed, guy. I also liked his one or two episode "origin" story, where he had poofy hair and fought at Seagate Prison. The Harlem setting and music were well done, too. It's almost like they were trying for a modern-day (and serious) version of "Harlem Nights".

I also enjoyed the the Method Man appearance and his subsequent freestyle rap.

But the problems arose, quickly, and only compounded as the season continued.

1- The title says: "Luke Cage", but it may as well been "Misty Knight". There were some episodes where Luke was in maybe 10% and the other 90% was Misty, police procedural, and villain BS.

2- The villains stunk. Mahershala Ali was okay as "Cottonmouth". But they killed him off, halfway in, and the ridiculous "Diamondback/Willis Stryker" took over. His motivation was that his daddy never loved him? Alfre Woodard's "Black" Mariah got old quick, too.

3- A villain worth his own numbered point was "Shades", played by Theo Rossi. After seeing him get bunked up the anal love tunnel by a fat Marilyn Manson in "Sons of Anarchy", I can't take him seriously. They needed somebody with a more sinister demeanor to him. He seemed like a random goon, but he became increasingly more important. Bad casting, here.

4- No real connection with "Jessica Jones". Weird, considering Luke was a BIG part of that series. As the season started, I thought that maybe this was set before "JJ", but no. It wasn't until Claire Temple popped up that I realized it was set AFTER. There were little references to Frank Castle, Matt Murdock and even Justin Hammer, but they seemed almost obligatory.

5- The stories and action were kinda'....blah. There are no real "ESSENTIAL Luke Cage" stories out there, so that may have been one pothole. Jessica Jones had the whole mind-control thing, Daredevil had the Kingpin, Elektra and the Punisher. Luke had... bad guys who smuggled stuff.

Point that made me slap myself was (I think) episode 9. Luke and Misty are in the Harlem's Paradise bar, with gangsters shooting at them from all sides. Luke then carries Misty into the kitchen...and suddenly there's a secret bunker below the entire place that only a few know about. However, this secret bunker is also wired into the buildings' intercom system and it's somewhat easy for Claire Temple to get to it. The "secret subterranean escape route" was used a few times in "Daredevil" and I didn't like it there, either.

After this, I'm dreading having to start up "Iron Fist". I might just wait until "Defenders" comes along. In August, I think.

DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Comic Books · Next Topic »
Add Reply