Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Da Wrestling Board. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
2015-2016 MLB Offseason Thread
Topic Started: Dec 2 2015, 08:56 AM (4,545 Views)
Erick Von Erich
Member Avatar
I'm Big E and I tell it like it is
[ *  *  * ]
It's officially been going on for awhile, but the Red Sox just landed David Price for a huge contract. He supposedly has an opt-out clause after 2018...so it's not a "he's a Red Sox guy for life" thing.

Toronto also signed J.A. Happ to stupid money... no doubt based on his 10 game performance with the Pirates, last year. Happ was considered a reclamation project when the Pirates got him; so good for him, I guess.
<!---Hit Paydirt with K-Dirt--->
DWS Apparel Store- Buy. Consume. Obey.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Scrooge McSuck
I'll get you next time, toilet!
[ *  *  * ]
31 mil. a year for Price. Ouch. Lets ignore his lack of post-season success (he's lost pretty much every game he's played in the playoffs since his rookie season, getting a Save in Game 7 of the ALCS). If his health holds up, this should be a great way for them to patch together a winning rotation, but still... 31 mil a year. Exhibit F why MLB needs a salary cap.
Posted Image
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Erick Von Erich
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
So, we haven't talked Hall of Fame, have we?

Official ballot at BBREF: http://www.baseball-reference.com/awards/hof_2016.shtml

Of the newbs, Ken Griffey, Jr. is a sure thing. I'd also put Trevor Hoffman in there, as well. Then holdovers Mike Piazza and Jeff Bagwell.

Realistically, I think we'll get Griffey and Alan Trammell. Hoffman, Piazza and Bagwell will get in, eventually, just not this year.

Newly eligibles who will stick around to eat up votes for the next few years: Billy Wagner and Jim Edmonds will probably make the 5% cut. I thought Troy Glaus would be in that group, but looking at this career numbers, now, I'll say: no way; one-and-done. Mike Lowell will get some love cuz' he played for the Red Sox.

I base the 5% cut on Luis Gonzalez, who didn't last very long on the ballot (maybe 2 years). So I think: "was this guy better or worse than Luis Gonzalez".

Oh, this is also Mark McGwire's 10th and final year on the ballot, due to revised rules. He's still something of a pariah and the posterboy for the "blasphemous 90's".

Scrooge McSuck
I'll get you next time, toilet!
[ *  *  * ]
Griffey is definitely going in, but after that... I can see Hoffman hitting a "almost" number like 70% and going next year, and then for other hold overs, Piazza should be in by now, but I see him getting passed over, and maybe this year Bagwell gets in.

Bonds, Clemens, etc. etc... no chance, I guess.

Randy Winn will get 0 votes, Glaus 2, Grudzielanek and Ausmus 1 each.
Posted Image
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Erick Von Erich
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
I'm predicting Trammell, this year, due to the recent cases of Goose Gossage and Jim Rice. Two guys who weren't really Hall-worthy, but got in after years on the ballot (and whining from stat-heads).

Here's a look at next year's potential ballot (2017), which will affect guys like Piazza, Bagwell, etc.:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/awards/hof_2017.shtml

Some notable first-timers, there. Ivan Rodriguez will make it. Vladimir Guerrero and Manny Ramirez will also get a look and/or eat up votes. I've mentioned Tim Wakefield, before, and while I don't think he's Hall-worthy, he'll probably make the 5% cut and be around for a little bit. Ditto for Jorge Posada.

Oh, and Pat Burrell is eligible next year, so look out!

Erick Von Erich
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
Pirates officially ended their days with Pedro Alvarez, non-tendering him and making him a free agent. Four letters for him to focus on: "AL DH".

Alvarez's highlight with the Pirates was probably the 2013 postseason, when he looked like an absolute monster-in-the-making. He developed a 3B strain of Chuck Knoblauch Disease halfway through the 2014 season and that was it.

I'm guessing the Bucs pick up an available veteran just before training camp. Like James Loney on a one-year deal. Or bring back Travis Ishikawa for round 3 as a Buc. They have Michael Morse on the roster, but the general feeling is that whoever starts at 1B in April is just keeping the slot warm until Josh Bell is brought up.

The Swigg Lebowski
Member Avatar
Current Two Time DWB Champion
[ *  *  * ]
Alvarez and Will Middlebrooks both seem to have caught that disease.

And man, do I hate the Price deal. I wanted Greinke, but instead I get this Jabroni. The first big move of the Dombrowski era, and I almost want Ben Cherington back
Scrooge McSuck

I'm too hefty for my slacks. The zippers off it's tracks. I've stretched it to the maa-a-a-a-x.

Erick Von Erich
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
Pirates trade Neil Walker to the Mets for... Jon Niese.

Not a huge fan of this deal, but I understand why they did it. Walker's 30 and in the last year of his contract. Niese's contract is set for two more years. They do need a dependable #3 or #4 starter, which I guess is Niese.

I imagine Josh Harrison moves to 2B, full-time and Jung Ho Kang is also full-time over at 3B. Thing is, Kang is coming off major surgery. So they've got Clint Hurdle's Favorite Player (and Bane of Water-coolers Everywhere), Sean Rodriguez, as the utility back-up. This all assumes Jordy Mercer holds the fort at SS. I remember that the Pirates made the play-offs with CLINT BARMES at SS, so there's hope.

I still expect them to pick up some "scrap heap" guys right before Spring Training, as is usually the case for every team, every year.

Erick Von Erich
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
Jim Ross tweeted that he'd like to call games for the Pirates.

That would suck on so many levels... which is why it might happen, just to spite me. To hear that overrated windbag babbling next to guys like Bob Walk, Greg Brown, Steve Blass and John Wehner would be all kinds of terrible.

Especially Blass-- the guy who once invited everybody watching to a neighborhood garage sale. That would not juxtapose well with Ross shouting: "McCutchen just beat the HELL out of that ball! It's been broken in DAMN half!"

Although I think Bob Walk would absolutely eat Ross alive.

If it does happen, there's always the trusty MLB.TV audio feed feature, where I can switch to either TV or radio--- picking the one where Ross is not working.

Right now, this looks like an Idiotic Fan Hype Job and not something seriously considered or even mentioned by the Pirates, themselves.

Erick Von Erich
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
The Hall of Fame Class of 2016: Ken Griffey, Jr and Mike Piazza.

Griffey gets in with a record 99.3% of the vote (who's that 0.7 percent?)

Tim Raines got something like 69%, so next year is his last chance as it's his 10th year on the ballot.

Alan Trammell is gone, after spending 15 years on the ballot and not making it (grandfathered in with the old 15 year rule). Lee Smith is facing his 15th, next year.

Mark McGwire is now officially removed from Hall of Fame consideration (barring the Veterans thing).

Erick Von Erich
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
The part that always intrigues me for some weird reason: the below 5% guys who were eliminated:

#Votes // Player // Percentage
11 Jim Edmonds 2.5%
8 Nomar Garciaparra 1.8%
3 Mike Sweeney 0.7%
2 David Eckstein 0.5%
2 Jason Kendall 0.5%
1 Garret Anderson 0.2%
0 Brad Ausmus 0.0%
0 Luis Castillo 0.0%
0 Troy Glaus 0.0%
0 Mark Grudzielanek 0.0%
0 Mike Hampton 0.0%
0 Mike Lowell 0.0%
0 Randy Winn 0.0%

Sammy Sosa had 7% to stay alive.

Somewhat surprising that Nomar scored so low. Consider that, in the late 90's, he was often looked upon as a future HOF'er.

torturedsoulv1
true maharajah Jinder Mahal
[ *  *  * ]
I'm surprised Edmonds did not get at least 10%

what 2 idiots voted for David Eckstein?

Erick Von Erich
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
torturedsoulv1,Jan 7 2016
02:27 AM
what 2 idiots voted for David Eckstein?

Probably Cardinals media; with their justification being he was the 2006 World Series MVP. Cardinals beat reporters have a highly-annoying smugness about them.

Yeah, it is BS to think that they spent their votes on David Eckstein, when they could've been more productive going towards somebody else.

In their defense, they probably burned low-place votes.

Erick Von Erich
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
http://m.pirates.mlb.com/news/article/1650...protective-caps

Some pitchers have been trying out the new "protective caps". People on social media have been proclaiming this as "wussification" of the game. I don't mind about how they look (like the Rebel commandos on Endor), but if a reliever comes into a game and the batter is all freaked out and unsettled about the wacky hat...well, that's a bonus.

Erick Von Erich
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
Adam LaRoche retired after White Sox executive VP Ken Williams asked him to stop bringing his kid around. Once is cute, a few games are tolerable, but the kid apparently hung around all of last season. Writers were all over it, like this father-son thing is such a precious bond, blah blah...

If this was someone like say, Paul Konerko, the Sox probably would've let it slide. But LaRoche had a less-than-stellar season, last year, and wasn't turning heads this spring. So, no big loss for the White Sox.

Standing up for his son is probably Adam LaRoche's most memorable career highlight, now. Remember that time when LaRoche....uhh....well, maybe he... did something with the Nationals... hmm....

Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Sports · Next Topic »
Add Reply