Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Da Wrestling Board. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
2016 MLB Thread
Topic Started: Jun 28 2016, 01:11 PM (2,126 Views)
Erick Von Erich
Member Avatar
I'm Big E and I tell it like it is
[ *  *  * ]
Well, golly, this far into the year and we haven't started one?

Saw the Blue Jays, last night, and during BP Josh Donaldson was wearing an official MLB Jays hat in a digital camouflage version. Which got me thinking: do the Blue Jays hold a "Military Appreciation Day" like most MLB teams? That would seem odd to me.

I'm also assuming that Jays' Sunday home games do not have the (annoying) "God Bless America" song. No offense to any troops, I just have a dislike of the actual song.
<!---Hit Paydirt with K-Dirt--->
DWS Apparel Store- Buy. Consume. Obey.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Scrooge McSuck
I'll get you next time, toilet!
[ *  *  * ]
Rough season for the Rays, particularly from the pitching, usually a plus for the team for the better part of the last decade. Chris Archer and Drew Smyly, our No. 1 and 2, are producing numbers straight outta the early 2000's era of the Devil Rays, Matt Moore and Jake Odorizzi are inconsistent, and then it's patch-work for the No. 5 spot. The bullpen has been "over use Erasmo Ramirez" and anyone they can find, with lackluster results for most of the options.

As usual, the lineup under-produces, but that has never been the "Rays way" of winning. When your No. 6-9 hitters are typically batting under .200, there's problems. I don't know how the hitting coach has remained for all these years of poor performance, but he must have good blackmail material.
Posted Image

Erick Von Erich
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
Pirates had a "throwback month" for all of June as they honored their teams from 1993-2010. They went something like 7-22 to essentially end any serious thoughts of contention.

Erick Von Erich
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
Little funny that there was a big push and hype for the NL All-Star "Final Vote" between Brandon Belt and Starling Marte. Belt wins, but ONE day later, Marte also gets on the team due to an injury to Yoenis Cespedes.

People like to say "the All-Star Game is a joke". Sure. Like I always say, it's never the slugfest that fans envisions and it's essentially a "live action baseball card or yearbook" of the season, thus far.

But you know what is a bigger joke? "All-Star Snubs" and whining. 75% of the time, the guy who gets "snubbed"; whether by fan vote or manager decision; ends up on the team anyways.

Oh, and the ridiculous home run derby...now with a DJ BOOTH on the field.

Erick Von Erich
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
Haven't been checking this, but I'll actually be impressed if that dickhead "Marlins Man" shows up behind home plate at Wrigley Field, this week, while Ichiro is shooting for his 3,000th hit.

Otherwise, what's the point of wearing your Marlins jersey to random games (that often don't involve the Marlins) if you're not a big fan of the actual team?

Erick Von Erich
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
Ichiro gets his 3,000th...and I'm sure some clown feels it wasn't legit because it happened at Coors Field.

Also, in news that will surely alter human history: A-Rod is set to retire on Friday. I say: "A-Rod", because I told somebody "Alex Rodriguez" was trying retiring and they said: "who's that?"

Erick Von Erich
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
One of the most demoralizing Pirates losses since October 1992--- they're down 5-0, early, to the Cardinals and work their way back to a 6-5 lead. It remains that way through 2 outs in the 9th and the old cliche: "the Cardinals are down to their last swing" with an 0-2 count.

"Closer" Tony Watson can't get the final strike and proceeds to give up THREE homeruns and 4 runs in the inning. Bucs gets a cosmetic homerun in the bottom of the 9th, but still lose 9-7. Their 8th loss in a row. Yes, they miss Marc Melancon and that was one of the worst trades since Dave Littlefield got Bobby Hill for Aramis Ramirez.

Games like this not only hurt, but can end up costing somebody a job.

Scrooge McSuck
I'll get you next time, toilet!
[ *  *  * ]
The Rays season lost all hope when they entered the ASG losing something like 21 out of 24 games after teetering back and forth with hot and cold streaks. Just dismissed the hitting coach today, about 3 years later than most teams probably would have. Rays consistently have been below average (or at times league worst) in a lot of offensive categories.

Yankees, despite being in sell mode at the deadline, are surprisingly in the hunt for a Wild Card spot.
Posted Image

Mad Dog
Member Avatar
ho ho who the hell are you?
[ *  *  * ]
The Rays have baffled me the last couple of years. It feels like they should have been better than they were this year.

Erick Von Erich
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
I saw, yesterday at a public place, that ESPN was providing live helicopter video coverage of Jose Fernandez's HEARSE, driving through Miami. It made it look like the OJ chase from the mid-90's. Truly classless, IMO.

Since it's ESPN I'm surprised they didn't flash some stat on the screen about the hearse's speed, MPG or make/model. I was also expecting a list of where Fernandez ranks on the All-Time List of Premature MLB Deaths. "Well, ya' gotta' put him at #7, probably behind Thurman Munson, but still ahead of Steve Olin".

Maybe MLB Network did that...

Erick Von Erich
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
I was dreading a Red Sox/Cubs World Series, because it would've brought every wannabe writer out of the woodwork. So, thank you, Cleveland for saving us.

Been watching the Nationals/Dodgers series, and little else. Somewhat bummed that the Glorious Cubs Collapse didn't happen, last night. There's hope for the NLCS, though. But hey-- they are the Greatest Team in the History of Our Sport, so why should we even bother playing?

Erick Von Erich
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
So... the world hasn't ended, Hell hasn't frozen over, but the Cubs have won the World Series.

But hey, they win 3 straight and the 7th game in extra innings to win the World Series. You may not like it, but you can't argue with it.

When I first got into baseball (seriously) in 1990, I found it odd that the Cubs and Red Sox hadn't won a championship in forever. Cubs were sort of the home team in my (then) baseball-deprived city, due to WGN. Yet I had an earlier disdain for them, circa 1986. I'd get home early from school and turn on WGN so I could catch "GI Joe" at 3:30 before going to football practice. Yet it was frequently pre-empted for Cubs games.

From 1990 and on, I used Cubs telecasts as my window into the NL (and always checked the weekly "TV Dial" on Sundays to see if the Pirates would be playing them). Seeing that 1st base dugout camera view with the big "TORO" sign in left field will be forever embedded in my brain.

Anyways, moving on. MLB will do their usual pomp and fluff over the award winners.

In an random move, saw that the Rockies named Bud Black their manager. I'll give him two years, tops. That just seems like a "filler" selection. Odd, because I was cleaning out some old 1992 Score baseball cards to package up for Halloween giveaways. I put aside a Bud Black card, because I thought: "I think he's a coach or something, somewhere, right now. Might get his autograph next season".

HeenanandMonsoon
Member Avatar
dWb Superstar
[ *  *  * ]
Now that they won it, I hope they leave Steve Bartman alone now. The poor guy has had a tough 13 years.
Founder of the Humanoid Nation Community on PSN

Posted Image

Erick Von Erich
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
To put a capper on things, the 2016 MLB Award Winners:

NL Manager of year: Dave Roberts, Dodgers
AL Manager of year: Terry Francona, Indians

NL Rookie of the year: Corey Seager, SS, Dodgers
AL Rookie of the Year: Michael Fulmer, P, Tigers
(I had assumed it would be Francisco Lindor... and didn't realize he had used up his "rookie" eligibility, last year)

NL Cy Young: Max Scherzer, Nationals
AL Cy Young: Rick Porcello, Red Sox

NL MVP: Kris Bryant, 3B/OF, Cubs
AL MVP: Mike Trout, OF, Angels

More stuff on this:http://m.mlb.com/awards/

Also, the New Orleans Zephyrs (Marlins Triple A sqaud) have changed their name to the
New Orleans BABYCAKES... with one of the creepiest logos I've seen.

FWIW, the Zephyrs were originally from Denver and were re-branded from the old Denver Bears in 1986. The name was taken from the "Denver Zephyr" train route; which is still active. The name "Zephyr" had a loose connection to New Orleans; supposedly the name of an old local roller coaster. Never seemed 100% appropriate for NOLA; almost lazy, as if they didn't want to bother buying new uniforms or something.

DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · Sports · Next Topic »
Add Reply