Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Da Wrestling Board. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
RIP Timothy Well
Topic Started: Jan 11 2017, 08:18 AM (392 Views)
Scrooge McSuck
I'll get you next time, toilet!
[ *  *  * ]
Not a high profile death. Passed away a few days ago of kidney failure, but flew under my radar. Worked under the name of "Rex King" outside the WWF, including successful runs on the pacific coast and in USWA. Biggest exposure was working as enhancement talent, especially in the mid 90's when the WWF renamed him and Steve Doll for an undercard tag team, Well Dunn. They didn't do much other than put over established babyface teams, and were let go in the spring of '95. I don't recall him showing up in WCW, unless it was for low-tier job duty like Saturday Night.
Posted Image
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Erick Von Erich
Member Avatar
I'm Big E and I tell it like it is
[ *  *  * ]
*BONG*

I remember seeing his name in the 80's Apter mags; with Steve Doll; as part of the "Southern Rockers". Have seen maybe two matches of Well Dunn in the WWF, so I'm sorry to say that I can't offer more than that. Coulda' swore he was in WCW, as well, but apparently not.
<!---Hit Paydirt with K-Dirt--->
DWS Apparel Store- Buy. Consume. Obey.

HeenanandMonsoon
Member Avatar
dWb Superstar
[ *  *  * ]
I'll remember them best for their USWA and WWF runs. RIP
Founder of the Humanoid Nation Community on PSN

Posted Image

Infinite Devil Machine
Member Avatar
A Very Cunning Linguist
[ *  *  * ]
RIP, dude.

Wasn't he Jimmy Graffiti in WCW? Or am I thinking of another ex-WWF lower card tag-team guy?
What "World of Warcraft" players see when they're not playing.....

Posted Image

Scrooge McSuck
[ *  *  * ]
That was Jimmy Delray of the Heavenly Bodies, also dead.
Posted Image

HeenanandMonsoon
Member Avatar
dWb Superstar
[ *  *  * ]
So many wrestlers have died young over the years. It's a damn shame.
Founder of the Humanoid Nation Community on PSN

Posted Image

torturedsoulv1
true maharajah Jinder Mahal
[ *  *  * ]
His last run I think was in WWC

Remember him first in PNW

Scrooge McSuck
[ *  *  * ]
From the latest WON (It's not a major headline section, seeing as it's smack in the middle of the entire newsletter, so I don't feel too bad about sharing it without edits)...

Quote:

Timothy Smith, who was best known as Rex King and Timothy Well, as the tag team partner of Steve Doll, passed away on 1/9 at the age of 55 due to kidney failure.

Smith had been in a bad auto accident in 2012 and had health problems ever since. Even before that, he was in rough shape due to some major injuries he incurred during his career as a pro wrestler. His wife left him in 2014, and he had to move in with his parents at that time, and his father died shortly after that. Friends of his said he had been despondent for years, dating back to the death of Doll in 2009.

Smith & Doll were mostly known as Rex King (named after the two original Moondogs) & Steve Doll, the Southern Rockers, who were major stars in Oregon, Tennessee and Puerto Rico.

Smith replaced Scott Peterson, who retired from pro wrestling, as the new partner of Doll, as the second version of the Southern Rockers. The Southern Rockers were one of the many Rock & Roll Express knockoff teams that proliferated in the mid-to-late 80s.

Smith had started his career as Rex King in 1987, doing television jobs for Championship Wrestling from Florida and the WWF when WWF did tapings in Florida. He came to Oregon for the first time in October of 1988. He was just a young guy in the territory not doing much. When Peterson retired from wrestling, King was put in his spot at Doll’s partner in the Southern Rockers in September 1989.
The two left for Tennessee in early 1990, and held the USWA tag team titles three times before Doll went back to Oregon, while King stayed in Tennessee and formed a tag team with Joey Maggs. He then went to Puerto Rico and formed a team with Ricky Santana, before Doll came to Puerto Rico in 1992. They came back to Tennessee for another run before they signed with WWF in 1993, where they were renamed Timothy Well & Steven Dunn, the tag team of Well Dunn.

Well Dunn was a lower level team, given some wins at times but mostly used as credible solid workers to get over the babyface teams like the Smoking Gunns (Billy & Bart Gunn) and Men on a Mission. They were released at one point, where they worked in Tennessee and for Jim Cornette’s Smoky Mountain Wrestling in 1994, where they feuded with The Thrillseekers, Chris Jericho & Lance Storm. They returned to WWF later that year. They were released in 1995 and went back to Puerto Rico. After Doll left Puerto Rico, King teamed with Sean Morley (Val Venis) as part of a tag team called the Canadian Glamour Boys for a short period of team. The Canadian Glamour Boys had been Morley & Shane Sewell, and when Sewell returned, King lost his spot.

In 1996 and 1997, he worked for All Japan as a lower level foreigner, and was also used as enhancement talent in WCW.

King & Doll got back together with the Nashville-based Music City Wrestling in 1998. King continued to wrestle until suffering an injury in 2001 while in Puerto Rico, which ended his full-time career although he did some single shots on independent shows until 2004, but was in great pain by that time.

During his career he held the Pacific Northwest heavyweight title once, as well as the TV title, and he and Doll held the tag team titles four times. He held the USWA tag team titles for Jerry Jarrett five times, four times with Doll and once with Maggs, and held the WWC tag team titles five times, twice with Santana and once each with Doll, Ray Gonzalez and Morley.

In one of the more unique stories, on February 20, 2012, the WWC reported that he had passed away and it was reported throughout wrestling. His ex-wife in the early 90s, Vivacious Veronica, read about it on the Observer web site and contacted us to say he was still alive. He had been in the hospital and had been in bad shape after surgery to replace three discs, but was alive and was joking about the reports of his death, noting that he came pretty close. We had spoken to him later that week and he talked about how much pain he was in, both from the surgery, from an auto accident and from a number of injuries from his years in the ring, most notably when Nelson Frazier (Mabel at the time, later Viscera) gave him a powerslam and broke his pelvic bone in two, which put him out of action for eight months.

He claimed that at the time of that injury, while working for WWF, he was told not to worry and that the office would send him $500 per week (this was before wrestlers had guaranteed contracts) while he was out of action. He claimed the company very quickly stopped paying him at the time.

He was bitter about his time in WWF, nothing that everywhere he and Doll were successful, they were babyfaces. But there they were booked as small heels against much larger face teams like The Smoking Gunns, Men on a Mission and The Head Shrinkers (Sam Anoa’i and Solofa “Rikishi” Fatu), and noted that the one program they really enjoyed was working with The Bushwhackers. He noted that the Bushwhackers were willing to sell for them, something he complained that Men on a Mission and The Head Shrinkers wouldn’t do. He said the Bushwhackers never hurt them and he enjoyed the short program. He noted that with the larger faces who wouldn’t sell for them, it left them with no credibility with the audience.

He always told a story about his departure from the company in 1995. He had a baby son and he and Doll’s contracts expired. Vince McMahon brought them both into his office at television and “He looks us both in the eyes and says to us, `You boys got off to a bad start so we would like to resign you for two more years.’”

“Talk about happy, we said, `Great Vince, and all the ass kissing B.S.,” he noted in a letter to friend Beau James in 2013. “That weekend, we all went home. Everyone rested up before WrestleMania. That following Monday, I was living in my new home in Atlanta. Fed-Ex knocked. I opened the door to what I thought was all of our new stack of plane tickets. But instead it was a letter saying, `We are sorry but we no longer need your services anymore.’”

He actually blamed others in the company. He believed Vince would have never told them to their face that they were getting a new two-year contract if it wasn’t true. But he felt that the way they had been used, always losing, that he and Doll found it hard to believe it themselves when they were told. He always blamed others in talent relations.

Smith was one of the plaintiffs in the latest concussion lawsuit filed against WWE.

Smith was destitute and a GoFund Me was set up saying that his death was due to complications from his pro wrestling career. Chris Jericho, under his real name Chris Irvine, donated the entire $2,500 requested.

Seems that any of crowd funding of pro wrestlers these days includes Jericho's name and a large sum donated. Good guy.
Posted Image

ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
ZetaBoards gives you all the tools to create a successful discussion community.
Learn More · Sign-up Now
« Previous Topic · General Wrestling · Next Topic »
Add Reply