Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Da Wrestling Board. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Meeting wrestlers
Topic Started: Mar 16 2017, 02:23 PM (852 Views)
HeenanandMonsoon
Member Avatar
dWb Superstar
[ *  *  * ]
Have any of you ever met/got something signed by a wrestler? I'm going to a fan fest next month to get some figures/VHS tapes signed. It's going to be an expensive day but looking forward to it as I never had the chance to attend any of these back in the day.
Founder of the Humanoid Nation Community on PSN

Posted Image
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Mad Dog
Member Avatar
ho ho who the hell are you?
[ *  *  * ]
I've met Hacksaw Jim Duggan, Mick Foley, Eddie Kingston, Dasher Hatfield, Hallowicked, Fire Ant, Blaster McMassive and Virgil. I've gotten stuffed signed by the Iron Sheik, Terry Funk, Ted Dibiase, Bob Orton Jr. Nikolai Volkoff and a couple other guys via mail.

I've never had a bad experience with anyone. I've heard stories here and there but most of them are carnies and know how to use the carny charm on you.

HeenanandMonsoon
Member Avatar
dWb Superstar
[ *  *  * ]
It's 20 bucks to get in which is steep considering all the autographs I'm getting but WrestleCon is worse since they charge 40 bucks just to get in.

2 guys I'm going to meet is Rythm and Blues. I might have em sing some ''Honka Honka Honka Honky Love''.

Posted Image

Erick Von Erich
Member Avatar
I'm Big E and I tell it like it is
[ *  *  * ]
I met Sgt. Slaughter, 10 years ago at the San Diego Comic Con. He signed a Hasbro GI Joe card for me and then put me in the Cobra Clutch (there's a picture of that on Da' Board, somewhere). Met Ric Flair at a car dealership doing a signing promo for Nitro, circa June 2000. He signed a 1992 PWI for me.

Sent a Classic 1991 WWF card to Hulk Hogan, through the mail, a little over 3 years ago. After that, I figured since I'd gotten an autograph from the Most Powerful Force in the Universe, there was nowhere left to go.

Does the 20 bucks get you access to everybody? Or is that just to get in, and everybody charges their own extra autograph fee?

Met tons of "real" sports guys, but just by stalking them outside the arenas for their autograph. I don't like using the term "met", because I've really only shaken hands, introduced myself and had actual conversations with a few guys. Haven't paid for an autograph since spending $25 for Yogi Berra in 1999. The going rate for "private signings" of NFL players, around town, is about $75-350 each. Prices have really gotten out-of-hand in the past few years.

My buddy in the UK always goes to the WWF events, when they're over there. He says Paige is one of the easier autographs to get. Think he got Cesaro and Roman Reigns, last time.
DWS Apparel Store- Buy. Consume. Obey.

HeenanandMonsoon
Member Avatar
dWb Superstar
[ *  *  * ]
Erick Von Erich,Mar 16 2017
05:24 PM

Does the 20 bucks get you access to everybody? Or is that just to get in, and everybody charges their own extra autograph fee?

It's 20 bucks to get in after that they all have a different price. Flair being the marquee name is charging 40 for an autograph. You need to buy tickets for the bigger name guys with the lesser guys just having a table you walk up to. The pain in the ass is the long lines as I've heard stories of people waiting in the line forever for one guy and by the time they did meet him the other guys they wanted to meet left.

I'm going since I've never been to one and I wanna experience it at least once but damn the pricing as you said is out of hand.

Posted Image

Erick Von Erich
Member Avatar
I'm Big E and I tell it like it is
[ *  *  * ]
Big sessions like this work best if you have a buddy. You wait in the long line, second person then works the shorter lines. Swap out, as necessary. People will get pissed if you let your buddy join you, in-line. The unspoken rule is that you trade places, but can't save places.

If you both start in the same line and one person tags out to complete a smaller line and comes back, it's okay if they re-join, then.
DWS Apparel Store- Buy. Consume. Obey.

Scrooge McSuck
I'll get you next time, toilet!
[ *  *  * ]
Never done a meet and greet, or come across a wrestler by chance in public. Almost went to a Indy show to see Animal, but $25 was like "eh, not worth it" money for a lineup of nobodies. I can get an alleged signed picture of him for $5 on eBay if I wanted it bad enough. I'm sure I'd be a boring mess. Whenever I get ball player autographs, the conversation is basically "hey man, how's it going?" and "have a good one."
Posted Image

torturedsoulv1
true maharajah Jinder Mahal
[ *  *  * ]
I have a pic with Bruno sammartino.

It was at an ROH show. Forget what year but Bryan Danielson was champ, I'm guessing 2005?

Cost me $20. I normally wouldn't pay for pics but it's Bruno. He was my dads favorite wrestler but was an announcer when I started watching in '83

I spoke to him some in Italian. He liked that I did that. That and unlike most of the ROH crowd I was born before he retired :)

Took a group pic with Kurt Angle after a TNA show about 10 years ago

That's it for me

Never gone to a wrestling convention or meet and greet

My wife who is not a wrestling fan, met bam bam bigelow at a party. Said it was at mostly college party and going by her age and that she was in college then, he had to be 10 years older than most there. But it was in asbury park where he's from

Sunny was shopping at one of the furniture stores my wife worked at. This was when she was in the WWF. My wife had no clue who either she or Bigelow were until others told her.

Infinite Devil Machine
Member Avatar
A Very Cunning Linguist
[ *  *  * ]
Weirdly enough, Tony Schiavone is one of the bigger "draws" for WrestleCon this year. Its his first convention since he got out of the business and his new podcast on MLW Radio and the reception its received convinced him to do it.

Personally, I met Booker T one time at a sports memorabilia and card shop in my town. He didn't charge for autographs or anything. It was just line up, take picture, handshake, etc. This was 2000-ish, so he was still toiling away in WCW. So, I, being a dumb ass mark, asked him if there was anybody in the WWF he'd like to wrestle, since he, in my words, had "conquered WCW". He completely kayfabed my ass and said "Bro, I'd beat all 'dem suckas, so it don't even matter". Love it.

Funny enough, by that point next year he'd be in WWF jobbing to most of those "suckas". Funny how things work, isn't it?
What "World of Warcraft" players see when they're not playing.....

Posted Image

The S.S. Nintendo
Member Avatar
dWb Superstar
[ *  *  * ]
HeenanandMonsoon,Mar 16 2017
05:23 PM
Have any of you ever met/got something signed by a wrestler? I'm going to a fan fest next month to get some figures/VHS tapes signed. It's going to be an expensive day but looking forward to it as I never had the chance to attend any of these back in the day.

Is this the Icons of Wrestling convention in Philly? A friend of mine is going to that one as well.

Most of the wrestlers I've met have been at either small signings, or indy shows:

Bret Hart & Jimmy Hart (Williamsport, MD)
Mickie James x4 (TNA Live event, and 3 indy shows - she was pretty cool with me at the last one)
Dusty Rhodes (small indy show in Front Royal, VA)
Road Warrior Animal (Williamsport, MD & indy event in Martinsburg, WV)
Mick Foley (Williamsport, MD)
The Patriot (Not Del Wilkes, but Tom Brandi in Martinsburg, WV)
Heashrinker Samu (Martinsburg, WV - I think he runs a promotion in PA. Also seen his son, Lance, wrestle a few times)

Sonjay Dutt, Kevin Thorn, Nunzio, X-Pac, Justin Credible, Koko B. Ware (who seemed like a douche), Abyss, and Tommy Dreamer for Primal Conflict Wrestling.

Shane Douglas (Small indy event in Martinsburg, WV)

Christopher Daniels (who trolled me), Kazarian, Chris Sabin, Magnus at a TNA Live event in Woodstock, VA.

Eddie Edwards, Madison Rayne, EC3, Gunner, and Kurt Angle at a TNA Live Event in Hagerstown, MD. If I wasn't such a cheap ass, I would've gotten the VIP package to meet the Beautiful People and the other part of the roster that was there.

Fabulous Moolah & Mae Young - met them at an indy show at the Winchester Speedway back in the summer of 2000. Unfortunately, I didn't get an autograph or picture with them.

Afa Jr./Manu at an indy show in Martinsburg, WV.

Sadly, I missed out on meeting AJ Styles at least twice.

Not sure how well you guys keep up on the indy scene, but I have met Big Sean Studd and Kacee Carlisle (who is one of the best women wrestlers around).
S.S.Nintendo's DVD Collection

S.S.Nintendo's Game Collection

Posted Image

HeenanandMonsoon
Member Avatar
dWb Superstar
[ *  *  * ]
The S.S. Nintendo,Mar 17 2017
04:21 PM

Is this the Icons of Wrestling convention in Philly? A friend of mine is going to that one as well.

Yes it is. I wanted to go last year since Heenan made a rare appearance there but I was low on funds unfortunately. It seems like it will be a regular thing now as they usually have another one during the fall as well. They already announced a 2 day event next January during Rumble weekend.

Posted Image

The S.S. Nintendo
Member Avatar
dWb Superstar
[ *  *  * ]
There's also the new Mid-Atlantic Wrestling Expo going on in Richmond, VA on May 19-20 that another friend of mine is going to.
S.S.Nintendo's DVD Collection

S.S.Nintendo's Game Collection

Posted Image

HeenanandMonsoon
Member Avatar
dWb Superstar
[ *  *  * ]
Awesome. It's hard for me to travel much with my schedule but that'd be another event up my alley.

Posted Image

TheBob
Friend of Pete Doherty
[ * ]
i've interacted briefly with wrestlers. Had a short conversation with AR Fox at an indy show after he left EVOLVE. He wasn't very fond of Gabe, at the time. He went nuts in the match to impress Tajiri, whom was also in a tag match.

Recently, I met Mick Foley. He asked for my name.. I said "Bob" and he asked how to spell it. So, I spelled it for him. He looked at me like "no shit", and I just grinned like don't make dumb jokes, Mick.

HeenanandMonsoon
Member Avatar
dWb Superstar
[ *  *  * ]
Bret Hart was at the last legend fest here in Philly last fall and it was a disaster line wise from what I've read. One guy said he waited in line for 3 hours. With Flair being the big name this time around the line will no doubt be just as insane.

Posted Image

ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Create your own social network with a free forum.
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · General Wrestling · Next Topic »
Add Reply