Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Da Wrestling Board. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
2017 MLB Thread
Topic Started: Apr 19 2017, 03:02 PM (1,266 Views)
Erick Von Erich
Member Avatar
I'm Big E and I tell it like it is
[ *  *  * ]
Out of Context Baseball Quote of the Day: "He has groin concern".
<!---Hit Paydirt with K-Dirt--->
DWS Apparel Store- Buy. Consume. Obey.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Erick Von Erich
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
It's not even Memorial Day and the Pirates are already playing out the string. A throwback to the days of 2001-2009. Very sad that the wheels seem to have fallen off of Andrew McCutchen and that he'll most likely be dealt for a PTBNL in July.

Been telling myself: "that's the problem with players: they age". Yet I've always considered Adam Jones the AL counterpart of McCutchen...and Jones is still doing well and is a year older, too.

Mad Dog
Member Avatar
ho ho who the hell are you?
[ *  *  * ]
It always felt like the Pirates did a really poor job of putting a supporting cast around McCutchen. They might have survived him crashing and burning for the start of a season had they done that. I don't think he's done by any stretch.

Scrooge McSuck
I'll get you next time, toilet!
[ *  *  * ]
Rays are 20-21, but I'm anticipating the Kevin Cash gets fired news. Team has floundered with him for 2+ years and this season isn't promising much. We should be 12-29 the way the bullpen and rotation have underperformed.
Posted Image

Erick Von Erich
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
Mad Dog,May 17 2017
03:03 PM
It always felt like the Pirates did a really poor job of putting a supporting cast around McCutchen. They might have survived him crashing and burning for the start of a season had they done that. I don't think he's done by any stretch.

I'd disagree, somewhat. McCutchen, Neil Walker, Pedro Alvarez and Jose Tabata all broke in with the Pirates in either 2009 or 2010 and looked to be a solid foundation for years. You're not going to have a solid starting 9, long-term, but they had a good core in place.

Tabata flamed out, first, and was basically gone by the end of 2011. Alvarez lasted until 2014 until he crashed. Walker was solid, but the front office was focused on CONTRACTS and dealt him to the Mets, last year, for... John Niese.

Add in Starling Marte (2012) and Gregory Polanco (2014) and you've got a pretty good supporting cast. Josh Harrison is no slouch, either.

They also had some decent free agent signing and acquisitions, in there-- like Russell Wilson, Francisco Liriano, Edinson Volquez (one year) and of course AJ Burnett (originally traded to them from the Yankees in 2012, but re-signed as a free agent for 2015, after one terrible year with the Phillies).

I think the Walker trade was awful and affected McCutchen. They usually batted close together in the lineup and offered "protection" for the other. Sprinkle in Pedro Alvarez's dangerous power and you've got trouble. I feel that's why McCutchen "struggled" in 2016. Now, in 2017, you add in Marte's suspension, Polanco's....whatever the hell he's doing, no Jung Ho Kang (I think they were counting on him, too much), and the only guys you have to worry about are David Freese and Josh Harrison. Both solid players, but not all-star/franchise type of guys. Josh Bell has shown flashes--and in two or three years I feel he'll be an All-Star 1B--- but right now he's still learning.

So they've had the cast, just not a consistent long-term cast.

Erick Von Erich
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
And just a few hours after I typed about his demise, he has a typical "Cutch Game", going 2-for-4, 2 RBIs, 2 runs scored and 2 SBs.

Of course, now that I've identified this reverse superstition (talk bad about him, he does well), he'll probably have a terrible game, today (talk well about him, he goes 0-for-4).

He's still "my boy" and it makes me sad when he's in a funk. Even the Old Lady knows to ask me: "how'd McCutchen do?"

Oh, and Josh Bell hit a 3-run HR, last night, too.

Erick Von Erich
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
FWIW, Eric Gagne ended his comeback attempt, yesterday. He appeared for Canada in the World Baseball Classic, and got scouts talking. He signed a contract with the independent Atlantic League Long Island Ducks and posted a 12+ ERA across 5 or 6 games.

Erick Von Erich
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
Out of Context Baseball Quote of the Day: "even his balls are looking a little flat".

Erick Von Erich
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
It's summer, it's gently raining and I'm sitting in the office listening to HARRY DOYLE call a Pirates/Brewers game. Life is good.

Mad Dog
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
FYI, MLB.tv is $10 for the rest of the year until like the end of the day.

Mad Dog
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
Watched Yankees/Astros last night. Astros look pretty legit this year. Yankees are kind of an oddball team whenever I watch them this year. I see a lot of promise with their young guys but their roster needs some work.

torturedsoulv1
true maharajah Jinder Mahal
[ *  *  * ]
Before the season started Yankees were expected to be not much more than a .500 team developing for the near future

Then they exceeded expectations at the beginning and fans like me got excited

But they are at the level they were expected to be

Scrooge McSuck
I'll get you next time, toilet!
[ *  *  * ]
The Yanks and Boston seem to have done a 180 from what was going on. Boston is on a tear now, and the Yankees struggling. I'm sure everything will balance out, but the pre-season universe is finally balancing back. Now the Rays need to tank instead of contend and we're set.

Speaking of Rays, LoMo snubbed for the HR Derby? Boo-urns.
Posted Image

Mad Dog
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
Yankees feel like they need a starter and a position player to really he dangerous.

Mad Dog
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
Just throwing it out there. Bobby Bonilla is still getting paid by the Mets. LOL!!!

Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Sports · Next Topic »
Add Reply