Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Da Wrestling Board. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Is this the worst era of WWE?
Topic Started: Jun 19 2017, 12:53 PM (672 Views)
Mad Dog
Member Avatar
ho ho who the hell are you?
[ *  *  * ]
This has been on my mind since about March/April. I think I hate this era of WWE more than I ever did that 02-05 era that drove me away. The finishes are just awful, the TV is tedious and a jobber has the Smackdown World Title. I think what makes this era really bad is you generally get really good matches on PPV but the booking is so terrible the inring gets overshadowed.

That's just my two cents. When I get home I'll dive deeper into my thoughts.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Scrooge McSuck
I'll get you next time, toilet!
[ *  *  * ]
I don't think anything will ever touch 06-07 for me. The product pushed more out the door long before Benoit slammed it shut behind me. Excessively rehashing matches on PPV, poor up-and-coming talent, poor creative, and people on top that held no interest for me. SD was anything but must see, taped on Tuesday and broadcast on Fridays, and ECW was like Vince trolling people. He could've named his 3rd brand anything else, but he had to pick ECW and then make it almost like a developmental brand for Raw and SD.

I do agree with all the points you bring up, though. The matches are good, but the "creative" is far away from the in-ring quality as there could be without bringing in circa 2000 Vince Russo to make a mockery of the entire company. The finishes are poor, with the same, tired gimmicks used frequently in one show.
Posted Image

Erick Von Erich
Member Avatar
I'm Big E and I tell it like it is
[ *  *  * ]
I'll always pick 1994-1996 as the worst era. Maybe 1999, too. Those are 4 years I always avoid when looking for old stuff.

94-96 seemed to be them trying too hard to ram certain things down the audience's throat. They tried to repeat what worked for them in the late 80's, but it was rapidly running out of steam. Guys on top in these years were some of my least favorites: Bret Hart, Shawn Michaels, Diesel, Razor Ramon.

1999 was WWF's sophomoric ideas and "humor" running off the rails. Catchphrases, swerves, bad matches and lots of T&A. At one point, it seemed like Debra was the most over person in the entire company. I really think 1999 did a lot of damage to wrestling, in general, and it's still a long recovery.
<!---Hit Paydirt with K-Dirt--->
DWS Apparel Store- Buy. Consume. Obey.

SamoaRowe
Member Avatar
dWb Superstar
[ *  *  * ]
2002/2003 were much worse in my opinion. Partially because there was no satisfying NXT brand to balance things out back then. Also, I was way more desperate for the product to be good. Nowadays if things suck, I don't care so much.

But really, since Wrestlemania, from what I've seen, the product has been complete garbage. I quit watching Smackdown again (it's fallen off a cliff pretty much since Styles lost the title) and my Raw boycott has been going on something like 20 months now. For a while, I was just watching the pay-per-views, and mostly enjoying them, but lately I've been skipping some, or half-watching others.

My biggest grievances continue to be:

-Raw as a 3 hour long show that's usually booked like a televised house show (long-ish matches that don't advance anything).

-Jinder Mahal is WWE Champion after going from complete jobber to #1 contender overnight.

-All the talent I grew to care about in a big way on the NXT brand have been squandered in their main roster tenures.

Scrooge McSuck
[ *  *  * ]
I agree with 1999. Absolute TRASH. I can't believe people want that again.

1994-96 is a mixed bag. I grew up on it, so I'm bias, but there was a LOT of crap. Cartoon characters at maximum rates and this is the era they ditch the "audio sweetening"?! Watching a mid 90's WWF show from Liberty NY's high school is up there for saddest visual in WWF history. 1,000 fan capacity and they had to paper the hell out of it. It looks ridiculously small on TV, I can't imagine how small it was in attendance.
Posted Image

Mad Dog
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
My biggest defense of 02-05 is that Smackdown was largely a good show during that entire timeframe. And they were largely fuckups with the booking but they never would have botched Bayley as badly as they did back then. They might not have realized her true potential but they never would have botched as big of a potential star as she should be.

I agree with Rowe on how awful the TV is.

HeenanandMonsoon
Member Avatar
dWb Superstar
[ *  *  * ]
94-96 was actually not bad IMO. It was very far from good but I can tolerate it unlike today.

99 I agree was a trash year wrestling and angle wise but the one thing it had going for it at least in my book was that it had compelling TV in a train wreck type way that it made me tune every week unlike today. Raw being two hours then was also a BIG help.

Now is today the worst era in WWE? IMO absolutely.

Shitty booking (as others have said)

Mahal as WWE Champ? Give me a fucking break.

Raw being 3 hours

3 man announce teams

Shitty tag division

Guys today being bland as hell (what ever happened to personality?)blame does go though to the shitty writers/creative.

Everything is LED these days ring posts, aprons,sets etc.( I long for the days of just a curtain with a logo)

I can go on and on but in the end IMO this is the worst era in WWE history.

Founder of the Humanoid Nation Community on PSN

Posted Image

SamoaRowe
Member Avatar
dWb Superstar
[ *  *  * ]
Erick Von Erich,Jun 19 2017
03:05 PM
I'll always pick 1994-1996 as the worst era. Maybe 1999, too. Those are 4 years I always avoid when looking for old stuff.

94-96 seemed to be them trying too hard to ram certain things down the audience's throat. They tried to repeat what worked for them in the late 80's, but it was rapidly running out of steam. Guys on top in these years were some of my least favorites: Bret Hart, Shawn Michaels, Diesel, Razor Ramon.

1999 was WWF's sophomoric ideas and "humor" running off the rails. Catchphrases, swerves, bad matches and lots of T&A. At one point, it seemed like Debra was the most over person in the entire company. I really think 1999 did a lot of damage to wrestling, in general, and it's still a long recovery.

I wasn't watching in 1994-1996, as I hadn't fallen in love with wrestling yet. For those of you who don't know, my entry into fandom started with the N64 wrestling games, initially WCW/nWo: World Tour.

1999 is objectively bad, but the product being so huge at the time kind of makes most of us look back on it with rose-colored glasses. I was 14 at the time, I didn't know any better, though I remember thinking aspects of it were beyond stupid (Vince as the higher power jumps to mind).

SamoaRowe
Member Avatar
dWb Superstar
[ *  *  * ]
Mad Dog,Jun 19 2017
04:49 PM
My biggest defense of 02-05 is that Smackdown was largely a good show during that entire timeframe. And they were largely fuckups with the booking but they never would have botched Bayley as badly as they did back then. They might not have realized her true potential but they never would have botched as big of a potential star as she should be.

I agree with Rowe on how awful the TV is.

I think a lot of 2002-2005 stuff has actually aged somewhat well. I think a lot of it (for me) was just that I was so eager for wrestling to be as fun as I perceived it to be in the late 90's and 2000, when a big part of it was that I was younger and more receptive to it all. Also, the fact that business was coming back down after the unsustainable highs of the peak Attitude Era compounded my perception of how bad things seemed.

The worst stuff of those years are the Attitude Era hold-over type booking. They could get away with the sophomoric humor and shock value stuff when business was booming, but by this time things like Katie Vick, HLA, etc just seemed embarrassing and pathetic.

HeenanandMonsoon
Member Avatar
dWb Superstar
[ *  *  * ]
It's a tell tale sign when I rather watch a WCW show from 99/00 over current day Raw.
Founder of the Humanoid Nation Community on PSN

Posted Image

Scrooge McSuck
[ *  *  * ]
Don't say anything you can't take back. :D
Posted Image

Mad Dog
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
Mahal really is a terrible WWE Champion. I've been trying to think in a historical sense of worse champions than Mahal. I really struggle to come up with anyone. You can even justify Diesel and Great Kahli to a certain extent that you can't with Mahal. I guess JBL and the Miz are the closest I can get to champions as bad as Mahal.

Scrooge McSuck
[ *  *  * ]
JBL has 2 things over Mahal...

1. Even when they weren't in the title picture, the APA were usually protected from being complete geeks
2. He was a good promo

Mahal has neither of those in his favor, his ring work sucks, and all he has is a physique he didn't have this time last year.
Posted Image

torturedsoulv1
true maharajah Jinder Mahal
[ *  *  * ]
I don't think Mahal is that bad. He is good on the mic and has the physique

But yes going straight from jobberville to world champ in less than 6 weeks was not smart

He's also the true maharajah and you can't teach that

torturedsoulv1
true maharajah Jinder Mahal
[ *  *  * ]
THey split up the realest guys in the room

I'm borderline suicidal over this

DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · World Wrestling Entertainment · Next Topic »
Add Reply