Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Da Wrestling Board. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
2017-2018 MLB Offseason Thread
Topic Started: Nov 28 2017, 04:58 PM (303 Views)
Erick Von Erich
Member Avatar
I'm Big E and I tell it like it is
[ *  *  * ]
Or: "The Giancarlo Stanton Trade Speculation" thread...
DWS Apparel Store- Buy. Consume. Obey.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Scrooge McSuck
I'll get you next time, toilet!
[ *  *  * ]
Dodgers payroll bumped to 345 mil. Still lose World Series.
Posted Image

Mad Dog
Member Avatar
ho ho who the hell are you?
[ *  *  * ]
Stanton goes to the Yankees.

I feel bad for the last few Miami fans out there. Ownership is just a shit show.

Scrooge McSuck
[ *  *  * ]
The more things change, the more they stay the same.

The fire sale doesn't come as a surprise. On top of the cost of buying the team from Loria, you inherit a team losing more money than any other ball club, so cutting the payroll makes the most sense.

Firing personnel diagnosed with cancer in such untimely manners is the only thing that stands out as a truly terrible act.

No need to overpay for play-by-play guys on a team that draws one of the lowest ratings in baseball.

No need to overpay glorified spokespeople because they're former Marlins (seriously, Andre Dawson was a Marlin for maybe 1 season).

If the bottom line is to stop the bleeding, these moves make sense, no matter how much it sucks watching a team stripped down, again.
Posted Image

Erick Von Erich
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
Evan Longoria (and cash) to the Giants. Rays get Denard Span and 3 of the Giants' top prospects.

Surprising move (to me, at least), since I kinda' felt Longoria was "Mr. Ray" and would be around forever. As it is, his 10 years with the team were solid.

torturedsoulv1
true maharajah Jinder Mahal
[ *  *  * ]
around forever rarely exists in sports anymore

whether baseball or football, etc

Erick Von Erich
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
I think Ken Griffey, Jr going from the Mariners to Reds in 2000 was kind of the "wow, nothing/nobody lasts forever" wake-up call. There are a few rare cases (Tim Duncan comes to mind), but you're right, nobody sticks with their team for a full career.

I didn't realize that Longoria has "already" logged 10 full seasons. I'm hoping Scrooge checks in with his take on the whole thing.

As a result, my McCutchen Paranoia has shot up. I'm checking the headlines everyday to see if he's moved. I know he'll most likely be gone, this time next year, but it'll still suck for me. Like putting a pet down, when you realize: "damn, he's been here longer than I thought. Went by so fast. Guess it is time to move on".

Scrooge McSuck
[ *  *  * ]
I was at lunch when a friend of mine casually flashed his phone, showing me the article. Longoria being traded bothers me more than any other departure in Rays history. Kazmir in '09 sucked because Kaz was the player I stuck to when I began developing a love for the franchise. Carl Crawford leaving for free agency opened my eyes that no one was going to sign long-term for big money. Longo changed that. He was not only a face of the franchise, but signed extensions that kept him with the team beyond what some might've expected from a small market. He's the last of the 2008 Rays that made an improbable run to the World Series. My first instinct was the childish "I'm done with this team, I'm going to follow the Giants" or an equally mid-level market that I have no prior connection to as a fan. I'll still support the Rays, but this keeps reminding me not to get attached to players too much. Any day can be the day they put on another uniform and leave the quarter-filled Trop in their past because of cheap owners and the inability of finding a new location for a better stadium.

Anyway, as far as the trade goes, yeah, they got some talent, blah blah blah, anyone young will be gone in 5-6 years for the next batch of prospects.
Posted Image

torturedsoulv1
[ *  *  * ]
Erick Von Erich,Dec 21 2017
03:38 PM
I think Ken Griffey, Jr going from the Mariners to Reds in 2000 was kind of the "wow, nothing/nobody lasts forever" wake-up call. There are a few rare cases (Tim Duncan comes to mind), but you're right, nobody sticks with their team for a full career.

I didn't realize that Longoria has "already" logged 10 full seasons. I'm hoping Scrooge checks in with his take on the whole thing.

As a result, my McCutchen Paranoia has shot up. I'm checking the headlines everyday to see if he's moved. I know he'll most likely be gone, this time next year, but it'll still suck for me. Like putting a pet down, when you realize: "damn, he's been here longer than I thought. Went by so fast. Guess it is time to move on".

peyton manning to the Broncos also

and before griffey Jr, there was Joe Montana to the Chiefs
granted they had Steve Young to replace him, but still

yeah Duncan is a rare case
Dirk Nowitzki is nearing the end and it seems he will always be a Maverick
until I remembered he was traded on draft night. had to google it, the Bucks drafted him

Erick Von Erich
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
Gerrit Cole goes to the Astros for 4 guys: P Joe Musgrove, RP Michael Feliz, 3B Colin Moran and minor-league OF Jason Martin. Not the kings' ransom Bucs fan were hoping for, but it's still a curious trade.

Cole's 2015 was stellar, but he's been decidedly average since. He gave a up a bunch of homers in 2017, leading a lot of people to suggest something was wrong with him. He was the #1 SP on the 2017 Pirates... which unfortunately translates to a #3 on a normal staff.

The whole deal reminds me of the Pirate trades from about 10 years ago. Where they shipped out "All-Stars" in Pittsburgh and netted guys like Andy LaRoche, Jose Tabata or Ross Ohlendorf. The Cole trade doesn't both me, though, as the Bucs are supposed to have a ton of young arms in the minors (as long as they're not named Tyler Glasnow). Cole's 2018 season will be a roll-of-the-dice and I'd rather roll those dice on some young dudes, instead. I'm also guessing that Ivan Nova will now be the 2018 Opening Day starter for the Pirates.

Erick Von Erich
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
..and as soon as I posted that, Andrew McCutchen is reportedly heading to the Giants. Man, that hurts. Even though I knew it was coming. McCutchen was absolutely my favorite player and the best Pirate since Barry Bonds in 1992.

Oh well... at least that means I have about 12 chances to get some of my McCutchen Pirates stuff autographed, this year.
Edited by Erick Von Erich, Jan 15 2018, 03:02 PM.

torturedsoulv1
[ *  *  * ]
Yankees are getting machado and Keyshawn next offseason :)

Erick Von Erich
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
Some of this you may have heard from me, over the years, but just go with me....

McCutchen was definitely "my guy". Was at a Spring Training game in 2007 and he made an amazing catch. I was keeping score and had already marked it a double for the Reds...but was amazed that Cutch raced over to make the catch. As a longtime Pirate sufferer, I'd learned to never get my hopes up on "top draft picks". So I didn't really know who he was, until that night

My lasting image of him is from a locker-room celebration when the Bucs made the post-season in 2013. The team was going bananas, spraying champagne and all. McCutchen was there, getting sprayed with goggles on, and that trademark smile of his. His teammates were chanting "MVP! MVP!" I felt like a proud poppa and about cried-- "my guy" led the Pirates to the frickin' postseason!

I wished my grandfather (and great-grandfather) were still alive, so I could've told them all about this. My dad called me up, that night, and serenaded me with "Oh, the Bucs are going all the way! All the way! All the way!"

My dad and I still debate whether or not Cutch is the #2 all-time Pirate (behind Clemente, of course). I was at a game in Denver when he hit 3 homers, a few years ago. He was one of the main reason I went to Miami to see the WBC, this year. My wife knows to ask me: "how did McCutchen do?" whenever I'm done watching my Bucs games.

I've only met/talked to him, twice, very briefly. Yet I feel a strong connection with McCutchen. He's absolutely my Favorite Player. It's going to be a test for me, this year. "My guy" is now on the Giants, who are just "some team" to me. I want him to do well... but I'll wish to hell that he was still a Bucco.

Of course, if the Bucs actually improve this year...well, that'll numb the wound just a little. But there will always be a scar. Right next to the scar from the 1992 NLCS.

torturedsoulv1
[ *  *  * ]
Not a pirates fan, but my two cents

Honus Wagner was way before our time. But he has to be 1 or 2. Clemente the other of course

I'd put willie Stargell ahead of mccutchen as well

Ralph kiner too

Bill mazeroski as well

But it's cool you got to meet him

Erick Von Erich
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
Clemente is, hands-down, the #1 player in Pirate history. Prototypical "5 tool player".

Honus Wagner was kinda' like Tony Gwynn. Yeah, he could be #2. He's the main statue at PNC Park with good reason.

Stargell has numbers, but he had some flaws. One of top 5 players of the 70's, though. Would still take McCutcheon over him. I feel like McCutchen's Pirate career is what Dave Parker's could've been, had Parker not been injured or sniffing cocaine, circa 1981.

Maz was an outstanding fielder, consistent player and a great 2B for his era. When you compare Mazeroski's career and stats to any other 2B, it's not apples-to-apples. Pirates fans have no problem with his HOF nod, but not everybody is sold on him. Of course, Yankees fans hear his name a lot :)

McCutchen's Pirate career was longer than Kiner's. Yet Kiner was hitting 50 HR's before it became common. He also played on a lot of dogshit teams, so he wasn't the focal point of a team like Clemente or McCutchen were.

Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Sports · Next Topic »
Add Reply