Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Da Wrestling Board. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
2017-2018 MLB Offseason Thread
Topic Started: Nov 28 2017, 04:58 PM (300 Views)
torturedsoulv1
true maharajah Jinder Mahal
[ *  *  * ]
Forgot about Dave Parker. He was in their Top 10 to me at least
Edited by torturedsoulv1, Jan 18 2018, 08:33 PM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Erick Von Erich
Member Avatar
I'm Big E and I tell it like it is
[ *  *  * ]
Parker's name has resurfaced in the past few years on the "HOF Veterans Committee" ballot thing (which brought us Alan Trammel and Jim Rice). Parker was an All-Star for the Brewers, as late as 1990, but I don't think he's a Hall of Famer. In that class of guys "just below HOF" or "Hall of Pretty Good" with guys like Pedro Guerrero or George Scott.

Parker DID have the coolest nickname-- "the Cobra".
DWS Apparel Store- Buy. Consume. Obey.

torturedsoulv1
[ *  *  * ]
Parker was better than Pedro Guerrero and George Scott
But yes I agree he wasn't HOF material

Forgot he was with the brewers. Just remember pirates and reds

Erick Von Erich
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
He had a pretty good resurgent year as a DH with the A's in 1989. Hit a home run for them in the "Earthquake Series", too. They had Parker and Don Baylor as the "old slugging vets" in 88 to 89 (think Baylor retired before 89, though). Both Baylor and Parker were definitely guys whose careers were prolonged by the DH.

I don't think Parker has any kind of honor from the Pirates. Like the local thing where they hang/retire numbers, or give them a statue. I'd be okay with that. He was more of the lightning rod for the late 70's Pirates than Stargell was. Stargell even alluded to this in his (bad) autobiography.

Erick Von Erich
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
I officially bailed on MLB.tv and did not renew my subscription for this year. I've been doing it mainly to watch Pirates games, live. The outlook for this year isn't rosy, and I'm still moping about the McCutchen trade. I still want them to do well and will follow them, but don't have the energy or passion to watch them "ringside, LIVE" this year. Rather watch Jeopardy, Netflix or rasslin'.

Of course, if they start off 22-8, then it's back on and I'll re-up with MLB.tv!

torturedsoulv1
[ *  *  * ]
Yankees are winning it all. It'll be them against the Astros again in the ALCS

Scrooge McSuck
I'll get you next time, toilet!
[ *  *  * ]
Rays trade Jake Odorizzi AND Designated for Assignment COREY FUCKING DICKERSON.

(throws in the hat)

That does it. Giants fan now.
Posted Image

Erick Von Erich
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
..and there goes Steven Souza. The Rays are getting "prospects" in return; but that's always a gamble.

It seems that the timeline on putting together a "winning team" is approximately two years. If you don't have all your players in the 24-29 range and (more importantly) under salary control, then you need to wipe the board clean. Sucks.

torturedsoulv1
[ *  *  * ]
I am stunned the Yankees actually gave a crap about resetting their luxury tax threshold

I'm sure they would've signed Darvish if they didn't care about it
But as horrible as he was in this past WS, I'm glad they didn't pay that much/that many years for him
Both games he was atrocious. And for a team like the Yankees that haven't had a losing season in 25 years, you want pitchers that aren't just great in the regular season

torturedsoulv1
[ *  *  * ]
I will give credit to the Mets

they were able to get Jay Bruce, Todd Frazier, Jason Vargas for below the expected market deals

Anthony Swarzak feels a need. But $14 million for 2 years for a non closer that only had one half of a good year, is not below market to me

Jose Reyes for 2 million is fine. he's done, but it's not much money

And Gonzo may be close to done, but they are only responsible for the veteran's minimum part of the $20+ million he was making.
So that's fine as well.

Scrooge McSuck
I'll get you next time, toilet!
[ *  *  * ]
20th Anniversary for the Rays, and they'll wear vintage D-Rays jerseys for one home stretch in June, I believe.

Classic Devil Rays, expect them to lose 100+ this season with the turd of a 25-man roster they have.
Posted Image

Erick Von Erich
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
Scrooge McSuck
Feb 23 2018, 08:50 PM
20th Anniversary for the Rays, and they'll wear vintage D-Rays jerseys for one home stretch in June, I believe.

Classic Devil Rays, expect them to lose 100+ this season with the turd of a 25-man roster they have.
Yeah. They just need to get someone like, say, TINO MARTINEZ, in there again.

Sorry. Low blow. Judges deducted two points.

Similar deal with the Pirates. They remind me more of the teams from 2000-2009. A whole lot of hoping and "well, if this guy has a breakthrough career year... and so does this guy...and the other 23..." I'm expecting about 75 wins, tops.

They picked up Corey Dickerson, last week, but it's only a one-year deal and will have no real long-term significance to either player or team. His salary for the year is only about $1 million less than what they were expected to pay McCutchen. At the end of the year, Dickerson will probably walk away from the Pirates (or he gets dealt in July, if he has a good year). So yeah, it's Reggie Sanders in 2003 or Jeromy Burnitz in 2006.

Almost tempted to get back on the RockiesWagon for the year.

DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · Sports · Next Topic »
Add Reply