Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Da Wrestling Board. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Avengers: Infinity War
Topic Started: Nov 29 2017, 04:46 PM (120 Views)
Erick Von Erich
Member Avatar
I'm Big E and I tell it like it is
[ *  *  * ]
Cuz we'd be kicked off the Internets if we didn't reference a new trailer for a superhero movie that's months away:

[doHTML]<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/B65hW9YYY5A" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>[/doHTML]

Hey, I'll see it. From what I saw, it doesn't look like there are too many "new" characters. Good summation of everybody we've been introduced to, thus far. Right now, I'm more excited to see this than the new Star Wars.

My many thanks to Chris Hemsworth. If he's in a superhero movie, the Old Lady is up for going to see it, too. Oh, I also found out I can do a "Hemsworth voice", which helps out at times.
DWS Apparel Store- Buy. Consume. Obey.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

SamoaRowe
Member Avatar
dWb Superstar
[ *  *  * ]
Saw it, loved it, looking forward to seeing it again.

With that said, I'm a tad torn on that ending. It packed in a good chunk of dramatic punches, but at the same time, was so overboard that there's no way they don't reverse it in Avengers 4.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

SamoaRowe
Member Avatar
dWb Superstar
[ *  *  * ]
Also, that opening sequence pretty much negates the positive, hopeful ending to Thor: Ragnarok. I might have missed it, but I did not see Valkyrie among the bodies, so I suppose there's an opening that Heimdall transported her and some of the other Asgardian survivors away before the battle was "joined in progress."

I was also surprised that three of the main candidates for death were still alive at the end. I thought for sure that actor contracts were going to result in "enough is enough" for 2/3 out of Cap, Thor, and Stark.

SamoaRowe
Member Avatar
dWb Superstar
[ *  *  * ]
By the way, I thought it was pretty lame that the "money shot" of Cap, Hulk, and Wakadans running into battle was not in the movie. In fact, it couldn't be, because Banner was in the Hulk Buster outfit because he's suddenly unable to transform into Hulk.

Erick Von Erich
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
Finally saw this! Went with the Old Lady and our two neighbors, all adults in our late 30's/early 40's...and everybody absolutely enjoyed it. We spent the entire 30 minute drive home talking about it. I was the only one who qualified as a "comic book fan", so I'd say the movie was successful. Another home run for Marvel and their trademark blend of humor and action.

Two moments that make the Old Lady vocally squeal. 1- When Captain America shows up on the train platform. 2- When Cap says: "I know someone" and they cut to Wakanda. I thought: "way to go, Movie! my wife just marked out for Captain America and Wakanda. We live in amazing cinema times".

Thanos actually came off as a bad-ass, serious, threat. He beats up the HULK in the opening minutes, then moves on methodically to accomplish his mission. You keep thinking: "all the good guys are going to reunite and win, in the end". Err....

In the Li'l Gamora Flashback, I thought it was a good idea to make that invasion horde identical to the first "Avengers" movie. Oh, so THAT'S what the team was uniting to stop. A 6 year pay-off to sell the seriousness of what they were facing, but it's a good connection.

To me, Thanos's reasoning for killing half the population makes MUCH more sense than the "wants to win the favor of Lady Death" thing from the comics. He's almost like a twisted version of Jor-el in this movie. He killed a whole load of cool characters, so now the audience really HATES the guy and they want to come back to see him get what he deserves. That's one of the cinematic tricks-- a villain isn't really memorable, evil, or threatening until he does something to make the audience hate him. This ENTIRE MOVIE was that!

-Liked how Stark and Strange kinda' disliked the other, initially. Their (cinematic) characters have both been sarcastic smart-asses, so it makes sense that they would clash.

-I love Drax. Ba(u)tista has found his calling. "Why is Gamora?!"

-Even though Black Widow's gone underground... she still makes time to get those hairstyle makeover appointments. I actually thought she was going to die during the Wakanda battle.

-I was actually okay with Hulk not appearing in the end. My No-Prize Explanation is that Hulk's embarrassed that Thanos kicked his butt. During the Wakanda fight with Thanos's flunkies, I expected Banner to say something like: "c'mon Hulk, this guy is stronger than us! I need your help". Then the old mantra of "Hulk is strongest one here is" would bring him out. I'm guessing something like that will occur in the finale. I'm thinking HULK will end up wearing the Gauntlet, even if only temporarily, in the next installment.

-People say they loved the "Infinity Gauntlet" mini-series, but it's far from a "classic". In the first issue, half of the Marvel U is wiped out and you just know that there's no way that'll stick. So you read the subsequent 5 issues issues expecting the final resolution and, yup, it happens just like you'd expect and everything's back to normal.

-The end-credit "stinger": when Nick Fury dropped that device, I thought it looked like an Ultimate Nullifier...so I half-expected it to dial up the Fantastic Four logo. I'm not an FF fan, at all, but that would've been a great reveal and similar to the Spidey deal. On the way home, I thought: "or a big X for X-men"... but there's no way that'll happen anytime soon and it was just me doing fanboy fantasy booking. The poor janitors of the theater industry would've been mopping up fanboy jizz all summer.

-As it is, the icon that does appear: a big "meh" from me. The Old Lady was intrigued when I told her that it was a woman, though. There's 99.5% more story of her story to tell, yet I wasn't feeling that she's the Big Gun that'll save the day.

-Like Rowe said, whattabout Valkyrie, Korg and Miek? Easy assumption is to say they're all dead... but I wouldn't be surprised if they show up in another Thor movie. Or else the pending fix-all of Thanos's defeat re-establishes them (and everybody else who died in this entire movie).

-Not saying this is a reason, but having Valkyrie on-screen would've been confusing to the casual viewer (3/4 of my party). She looks very similar to Gamora, so it is a possibility.

-BTW, whatever happened to Sif?

-My only letdown was that Hawkeye and Ant-Man didn't appear. Ant-Man I can let slide, but Hawkeye I definitely missed. During the subway fight, I thought he was hanging back as a sniper and would deliver the final blow to send the bad guys packing. Sad face.

-No new characters were introduced, which may be a first for a Marvel film (well, Thanos's flunkies, if you want to be technical). I'm just wondering who's left to bring in. Black Knight? Hercules? Wonder Man? Namor? Kinda' slim pickings. I'm thinking Namor is included in the FF rights package, anyways.

-Once again, it's worth mentioning that ZERO references from the TV shows pop-up.

Erick Von Erich
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
One thing I missed, that I thank the Internets for: TOBIAS FUNKE!!!

« Previous Topic · TV and Movies · Next Topic »
Add Reply