Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Da Wrestling Board. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
WWE TV and Network Talk 2018
Topic Started: Jan 8 2018, 02:40 PM (2,862 Views)
Scrooge McSuck
I'll get you next time, toilet!
[ *  *  * ]
There's a PPV to watch from tonight, but instead, I finished watching WrestleMania 22 (BIG TIME!).

I'm honestly having a hard time remembering what my thoughts were on the product at the time. Then I remembered being overly critical about the resurrected Saturday Night's Main Event and the nonsense between Shawn Michaels and the McMahons. Then there's the Rey Mysterio "push" based on the legacy of Eddie Guerrero. Then there was the very real threat of MARK HENRY ending Undertaker's Mania win streak. Even though all this popped in my head, I don't remember the weekly TV. Then there was using a PETER GABRIEL song in 2006 as the big theme for WrestleMania.

22 holds a distinct memory for me: fan backlash against babyfaces Trish stratus (fighting Mickie James) and Rey Mysterio (fighting Orton and Angle). Yes, you had the occasional audience issues, usually in Canada, but this seemed out of nowhere. Nowadays, it's common place, but to have a crowd poop on the big babyface at the biggest show of the year?

I honestly have little to add. I wasn't enjoying the product at a level I used to, and the era as a whole is a big blur.
Posted Image
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Erick Von Erich
Member Avatar
I'm Big E and I tell it like it is
[ *  *  * ]
I was starting to get back into things, around that time. They seemed to be somewhat tongue-in-cheek with their antics and characters (Paul Burchill, Spirit Squad, Maria, Simon Dean, etc). Then WWE 24/7 came around in June and I began to decline; mostly watching old stuff.

Indulge me while I re-tell one of my favorite stories of Markdom from that March 2006 SNME. I was at cheap hotel in Orlando, watching that show. Right when Shawn Michaels does his three-stomp "tuning up the band", I hear three stomps from the room above me, in unison.
DWS Apparel Store- Buy. Consume. Obey.

Scrooge McSuck
[ *  *  * ]
Wrestlemania 23, a.k.a Wrestlemania: ALL GROWN UP. 2007 and 2018 Scrooge agree with each other: the commercials with “child” version of WWF Superstars is beyond lame.

23 marks the last Mania that I actively followed the product until Mania 29 (2013). I was mostly watching ECW, because the less I watch, the more it means my interest has faded, but kept up with the other shows as best as I could. After Mania, I lost interest, and then we all know what put the nail in the coffin for me as a fan, so we’ll just move along.

My big takeaway from 23 is the involvement of Donald Trump and how terrible of a performance he gave at ringside. From his wooden cheerleading, to the lame punches he threw, to the world’s worst stunner, it was bad. (to his credit, he’s not a trained performer, and he was in the neighborhood of 60 years old at this point). But like anything, if you book someone to perform physically, they have to be judged fairly, and it wasn’t good.

I remember the ECW 8-Man Tag being redone and being much better a week or two later on free TV, defeating the purpose of putting the match on the biggest PPV of the year.
Posted Image

Erick Von Erich
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
Scrooge McSuck
Mar 13 2018, 01:54 PM
My big takeaway from 23 is the involvement of Donald Trump and how terrible of a performance he gave at ringside. From his wooden cheerleading, to the lame punches he threw, to the world’s worst stunner, it was bad. (to his credit, he’s not a trained performer, and he was in the neighborhood of 60 years old at this point). But like anything, if you book someone to perform physically, they have to be judged fairly, and it wasn’t good.
This was the Greatest performance of ANYBODY at ANY WrestleMania and had the best ratings. Great show. Wonderful show. Make Mania Great Again.

sorry...

Erick Von Erich
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
Latest and (probably) final addition to the 2018 WWE Hall of Fame class: Mark Henry

Hey... better career than Hillbilly Jim.

Scrooge McSuck
[ *  *  * ]
Ivory, Dudley Boyz, Goldberg, Mark Henry, and Hillbilly Jim

1 of these doesn't belong.

I mean, 1 is a non-Attitude era worker. Most don't belong period, but that's one man's opinion.
Posted Image

HeenanandMonsoon
Member Avatar
dWb Superstar
[ *  *  * ]
For longevity alone Henry deserves the nod. His hall of pain run was great.

Gotta have D-Lo induct em.
Founder of the Humanoid Nation Community on PSN

Posted Image

torturedsoulv1
true maharajah Jinder Mahal
[ *  *  * ]
Scrooge McSuck
Mar 19 2018, 01:08 PM
Ivory, Dudley Boyz, Goldberg, Mark Henry, and Hillbilly Jim

1 of these doesn't belong.

I mean, 1 is a non-Attitude era worker. Most don't belong period, but that's one man's opinion.
You forgot Jeff Jarrett and kid rock

I love jarrett. More than most

torturedsoulv1
true maharajah Jinder Mahal
[ *  *  * ]
I'm not much of a Goldberg fan but he deserves it

Dudleys absolutely

Hillbilly Jim absolutely not

Jarrett I love him. I think he deserves it. TNA/WCW/WWF/USWA/Mexico. Many championships over the years. Was pretty good in tag teams as well. With Owen Hart in the WWF. And a hundred different partners in the USWA. Champs with lawler/ Robert Fuller/Mil Mascaras/ Jeff gaylord/Scott Braddock. Didn't even google it lol. Probably missed a few.

Mark Henry. First half of his career = no way. So even though the hall of pain run was great, I say no

Ivory. She deserves it as much as Beth Phoenix did last year. One level below lita. Think she was better than trish. She gets in

Kid rock. Forgetting the fact that I like but don't love his music. He hasn't done much for WWE. But he's a celebrity. So IDGaF
Edited by torturedsoulv1, Mar 20 2018, 12:38 AM.

Scrooge McSuck
[ *  *  * ]
I can't believe I forgot Jeff Jarrett...

Oh fuck it.

That's J-e-Double F, J-a-Double R-e-Double T. Double J, Jeff Jarrett.
Posted Image

Erick Von Erich
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
You forgot the "ha-ha's".

So...WCW Thunder has arrived in at its glory, err, in something. Just started watching the first episode. It's weird noticing how many goofy things I overlooked, back then. Tony Schiavone, Bobby Heenan and Lee Marshall all try to make independent points and don't really play off of each other. 25 minutes in, and they've had a lengthy recap/talk session at the booth, 2 JJ Dillon segments, Hogan & Bischoff babbling in-ring, with one match sandwiched in: Chris Adams vs. Macho Man (which would've been a huge deal, 10 years earlier).

I couldn't stand Lee Marshall, back then. Now, I realize that the guy has a good voice and talks in complete sentences. He wasn't really cut out for the short-attention-span tactics of 90's rasslin', though. For instance: when he tries to be funny or contemporary, he's usually off-the-mark. Yet, similar to how I've spun on Sean Mooney, Marshall's another of those "Guys I've Grown to Appreciate Through Old Stuff".

Oh, and so far it sounds like the generic stock music WCW used for guys like Rick Martel or Louie Spiccoli is still intact. Some of those tracks you'd hear as background noise on ESPN in the 90's (like the themes for Norman Smiley or Lizmark, Jr.)

Scrooge McSuck
[ *  *  * ]
Daniel Bryan is medically cleared.

(checks the weather report)
Posted Image

HeenanandMonsoon
Member Avatar
dWb Superstar
[ *  *  * ]
D-Bry has been cleared. Looks like we are getting him/Shane vs KO/Zayn at Mania.

Posted Image

HeenanandMonsoon
Member Avatar
dWb Superstar
[ *  *  * ]
Erick Von Erich
Mar 20 2018, 01:24 PM

I couldn't stand Lee Marshall, back then. Now, I realize that the guy has a good voice and talks in complete sentences. He wasn't really cut out for the short-attention-span tactics of 90's rasslin', though. For instance: when he tries to be funny or contemporary, he's usually off-the-mark. Yet, similar to how I've spun on Sean Mooney, Marshall's another of those "Guys I've Grown to Appreciate Through Old Stuff".
I'm in the same boat. I never liked Marshall either until watching the shows back long after WCW's death. That was one three man team looking back I actually didn't mind.

Posted Image

Scrooge McSuck
[ *  *  * ]
If there were any doubt, Daniel Bryan was allowed to get physical in the closing segment of Smackdown. Not going to lie, I do get worried when he hits those dropkicks in the corner. You can tell he was going extra hard with adrenaline flowing, but hopefully he protects himself better moving forward. If they had any concerns, they wouldn't have let him do nearly as much, taking bumps on his own as well as for Owens and Sami.
Posted Image

DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · World Wrestling Entertainment · Next Topic »
Add Reply