Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Dominions 5 Mods. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Making Mods: Questions & Answers; Ask your modding questions here
Topic Started: May 6 2010, 08:58 AM (22,767 Views)
<span style=Burnsaber</span>
Member Avatar
A Flaming Tool
Purpose of this Thread

You can ask modding questions here. It's good to collect all of them in single thread to avoid the data from being spread over dozens of small threads like in sharpnel. This way you can also see if your question has been already asked before.

The questions will be answered by mostly by me and perhaps other modders that might be on these forums if they feel like it.

Rules

- If you ask something that can be easily found in the modding manual (for example: How do I give my unit bloodvengeance?), you will be answered by this "Look at the modding manual" . We are not trying to be pricks here, but it is crucial for a modder to know his manual. It is for your own good to get familiar with the manual as it will make your and our life a lot easier when you don't have to come here for every little thing.

- If your question involves a bug or a line of code that simply won't work, could you please post the bit of code involved right away? I'm not psychic and I can't see if you have any typoes or the like with the power of my mind.

- Note that questions can be form all areas of modding, not just about the coding itself. You can also ask questions about making/editing graphics or about balance for instance.

- Be patient, I'm not online all the time and I'm just a mortal man. I can't answer your question immediately. However, I'll do it as soon as I can.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Globu
Member Avatar
*Spicy* Crew
Alright, I'll take the first bite.

Gots a question.

What exactly does the Undead flag entail, aside from the described banishability, lack of need for supplies and immunity to disease and old age?

I am under the impression that they get an automatic Darkvision 100, and thus that putting the Darkvision and Need Not Eat flags on them is duplicative and unnecessary. However, the vanilla Bane has the NNE flag, so I'm wondering if perhaps the Undead flag description is incorrect (i.e. would it still be NNE with only the undead flag?).

And what crossover is there between it and the Demon flag?

(In the Shangri-La mod, Nounours had flagged the Citipati (grave-dancing lords of the cemetery) as both undead and demon, and, while I am inclined to remove the Demon flag on other grounds, I am curious if this mix is or has been used and why.)

The manual doesn't go into much more detail (unless I missed it), and, though I'm sure the question has been answered before, I couldn't seem to come up with a narrow-enough search on the Shrapnel forums.

Member Avatar
A Flaming Tool
Globu,May 18 2010
10:08 AM

What exactly does the Undead flag entail, aside from the described banishability, lack of need for supplies and immunity to disease and old age?

Undead tag gives you immunity to old age, disease and effective darkvision 100. And also the ability to be targeted/ not targeted by certain spells, like for example banishment or nether bolts respectively. All other "undead" traits, like "Need not Eat", "cold + poison res 100", "enc 0" have to be given separately by mod commands.

Globu,May 18 2010
10:08 AM

And what crossover is there between it and the Demon flag?

Demon tag makes you immune to darkness and able to be targeted by certain spells, like "Smite Demon". Other than that, there is not much overlap with the undead tag. In my opinion, there is not much gameplay function behind making a unit both undead and demon, because most "holy" ("Flambeau" for example) effects deal more damage to both. I'd say that vulnerability to the item "Cleansing Bell" is the biggest difference between a undead unit and one that is both undead and demon.

Diceman
*Spicy* Crew
Nether darts/bolt will hurt undead if I remember correctly.

Globu
Member Avatar
*Spicy* Crew
That clears it up for me. Thanks, Burnsaber.

Member Avatar
A Flaming Tool
Diceman,May 18 2010
02:21 PM
Nether darts/bolt will hurt undead if I remember correctly.

You are correct. Better example would have been a spell like "Plague" that cannot affect or target undead.

Diceman
*Spicy* Crew
Is there any way to make a ranged weapon that has a flysprite, so that it can miss, but that will not be blocked by shields? The storm demon weapon, #243 works, but I'd like to be able to add the #bonus tag without changing any of the base weapons.

rdonj
Member Avatar
Communist Spy
Give it a #secondaryeffectalways that does all the damage. Then it should bypass shields just like storm demon lightning.
Easy Slay (tm).

Diceman
*Spicy* Crew
That doesn't actually work. Tower shields still cause missed attacks even when you use '#secondaryeffectalways 232', while a storm demon attacking the same kind of target always causes damage if it hits.

Member Avatar
A Flaming Tool
Diceman,May 24 2010
02:23 AM
Is there any way to make a ranged weapon that has a flysprite, so that it can miss, but that will not be blocked by shields? The storm demon weapon, #243 works, but I'd like to be able to add the #bonus tag without changing any of the base weapons.

No, I don't think so. Also I assume that you have tested your claim about #secondaryeffectalways getting blocked by shields? If so, I'd really like to hear about your findings (perhaps post in the modding tips & tricks thread?). At least I haven't seen Sauro Poison archers fail to get their poison damage applied, for example.

The only case of a weapon that can miss but not be blocked by a shield would be a ranged weapon with an AoE 1 or more.

Diceman
*Spicy* Crew
I've tried to test it with:

#newweapon 734
#name "Lightning of Tzeentch"
#att 25
#ammo 10
#range 30
#dmg 0
#magic
#sound 24
#flyspr 210 4
#explspr 10219
#secondaryeffectalways 232
#bonus
#end

From what I observed, this seems to hit squares full of units with tower shields (Velite #155), but not do any damage, while the storm demon sitting beside the commander fired the same weapon without ever missing.

kianduatha
Member Avatar
*Spicy* Crew
Hrm, I've been trying to give a secondshape of a unit Holy magic(but the firstshape none), but it doesn't seem to be working terribly well(or at all). I was always under the impression that using #magicboost with a negative value will do this, but it hasn't been. I was using the following code for the firstshape, but it was still giving holy magic to the unit:

#selectmonster 2104
#magicskill 8 2
#magicboost 8 -2
#end

Am I doing something horribly wrong?

Member Avatar
A Flaming Tool
kianduatha,May 27 2010
04:53 PM
Hrm, I've been trying to give a secondshape of a unit Holy magic(but the firstshape none), but it doesn't seem to be working terribly well(or at all). I was always under the impression that using #magicboost with a negative value will do this, but it hasn't been. I was using the following code for the firstshape, but it was still giving holy magic to the unit:

#selectmonster 2104
#magicskill 8 2
#magicboost 8 -2
#end

Am I doing something horribly wrong?

I have used a #magicboost commond succesfully to reduce holy magic. Never tried #magicboost 8 though, always used the "reduce all" command (#magicboost 53). It might be possible that the #magicboost 8 command is borked with all the weirness that surrounds that path of "magic". Does the firstshape have any other magic? If not, you could try the #magicboost 53 -2 command.

RagnarokX
*Spicy* Crew
So, i have a question. Using the #fear tag, can you set negative valules, i.e. fear -1 to get a LOW fear effect or is fear 0 already the minimum ? When using negative values, the fear ability doesnt show up, just wondering if its perhaps still working, but just now giving the icon.

Member Avatar
A Flaming Tool
RagnarokX,Jun 3 2010
11:38 AM
So, i have a question. Using the #fear tag, can you set negative valules, i.e. fear -1 to get a LOW fear effect or is fear 0 already the minimum ? When using negative values, the fear ability doesnt show up, just wondering if its perhaps still working, but just now giving the icon.

Negative fear value does not even seem to reduce the fear gained from death magic for example, so I'm quite sute that negative fear bears no effect.

Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Mods · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Skin created by Nikku from Zathyus Networks Resources