Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Dominions 5 Mods. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Things we know about dom4; Please avoid wild speculation
Topic Started: Jun 20 2013, 01:03 PM (71,936 Views)
Sombre
Member Avatar
Leader of the Community
Please use this thread to gather together snippets of information from beta testers or IW themselves regarding the contents and mechanics of dom4.

Nations

• EA Machaka, Lion Kings
  • EA Ur, Mesopotamian Giants
  • MA Vanarus. Like MA Bogarus
General

• Many sprites have been redrawn and the 3d terrain is also improved.
  • Many new monsters, spells, magic items, sites, random events and some nations too.
Modding

• There is a good likelihood of moddable UI in patches
  • Modding is still done by text files and 2d art. Editor and paint program is sufficient.
  • Modding limits have improved: spells 1999, nations 101 to 199 available now, weapons, items etc unknown as yet.
  • The ability to specify a complete pretender list for a custom nation. No default includes.
  • The ability to define a set name for a monster. e.g. names for unique summons and heroes without using #nametype
  • Items can be nation restricted.
Mechanics

• Thrones of Ascension. Claim thrones to gain extra powers and to win the game eventually. Thrones are always visible magic sites of level 1-3 with gems or effects and special effects only available to thrones. They are likely to have special guardians. They can be set as the victory condition. Hold the majority to win. It is the default victory condition but the old options are still available such as capital vps.
  • Teamplay, one pretender and one or more disciples per team if team game is chosen at start. All share the bless of the pretender. Each disciple is a prophet so no other prophets in the game. Exchange system in place for teams: items, gems, gold and provinces. Battles are individual nations and not combined forces. So far, it's unsure how multiple armies in a province work? Sequential fights? Single player nations can be in team games. Dormancy of disciples is one less than pretender but no gain in design points for the dormancy for disciples. Only the pretender gains points for dormancy. The choices of chassis are different for pretenders and disciples.
  • Rivers that can only be passed when frozen, mountain passes that can only be passed by special units and when it's warm.
  • Pierce, slash and blunt weapons have slightly different quirks. E.g. don't shoot arrows at skeletons. Creatures may have resistance. Resistances (slash/pierce/blunt) reduce damage of that type by 50% and are separate from armor. Each damage type interacts differently with the protection value and that is a separate mechanic from the damage type resistances.
  • Some afflictions are connected to weapon type such as arm loss.
  • Range restrictions on magic rituals and items and spells that can be used to boost ritual ranges.
  • Darkness and dark vision plays a more important role. Notably in deep seas, caves and sometimes during assassinations.
  • Global random events
  • Can build castle improvements like extra towers or extra supply storage
  • Province Defence dependent on the local population and some nations have easier or harder to organize it.
  • Reverse communions radically changed. Slaves do nothing as long as any master remains in the battle. However, if a master retreats the slaves cast and keep any buffs.
  • Major changes to recruitable SCs. The details are unclear yet.
  • Research cost goes up by level much faster. Not just fibonacci sequence but more severe. Example on normal: Level 9 is not 1800 points but 5000.
  • Leadership is now much more important. Includes both morale buffing and mitigation of low morale things like fear. The abilities are set at start of game and not by additions such as spells or items. So commanders now have a much more important role.
User Interface

• From KO: "And a lot of UI improvements I'd say. It is annoying to test dom3 nowdays, since I miss UI features that makes dom4 more smooth." This implies GREAT improvement.
  • Scripts can be changed by individual spell or command by delete or by rewrite. No more rewriting an entire 5 slots.
  • Formations like line formation or skirmish formation.
  • Improved network support, turns can be resumed from any computer and turns can be marked as only half finished.
  • Verification of path and gem requirements of scripts is included. You will know if your mage can cast the script.
  • 'Y' key hotkey improvements. No exact knowledge yet.
  • Greater detail in battle reports.
  • Inbox/Outbox and redo a message without redoing all messages.
  • Checkbox for use gems for ONLY scripted spells.
  • Unit information improved. eg: attack and total damage output values for each attack of the unit as well as the type of damage it does visible without drilling down.
  • The engine appears to be much faster. No details on why yet. Multi core use?
AI Improvements

• Some AI improvements are pending. More detail coming slowly.
  • Pretender creation logic improved. No more all trash scales except LA Ermor. Ashen Empire and EA Mictlan always have awake pretenders (Edi: Did I interpret this right? Maer.)

Note: this post is being maintained by Maerlande. Errors and omissions should not be blamed on Sombre :)
I mod for free and fun. But if you want to tip me for work I've done, you can do so through PayPal to rabbitoflegend@gmail.com
General Mods: No PopType Recruitment (NI), No Mercs
Mod Nations: Warhammer Empire, Warhammer Lizardmen, Warhammer Skaven, Warhammer Chaos Dwarfs, Warhammer Ogre Kingdoms
Maps: Warhammer World
Older mods not yet ported: AI Recruitment, Ulm Reborn, Black Ulm, Jomon Broken, Avernum, Tharoon, Arga Dis, Daikaiju, Epic Magic Fail, Dromeda
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Admiral_Aorta
Member Avatar
Suddenly a troll appeared in the laboratory!
Edi on desura

UI is new. It is along the lines of the CoE3 UI. The CoE3 UI is moddable, so I expect that even if the Dom4 UI won't be at release, it will become so in a patch. I'll need to ask Johan about that.

There are certain very substantial changes to the rules that still leave the underlying engine more or less the same. Some of the changes are to blesses, if not the bless mechanics themselves. The greatest mechanics overhaul is in certain parts of the combat section.

Edi in the thread here

It was version 3.69 in November. Current development is 3.93. So that's 6 more subversions to 3.99, then letters a-z to add to that if it needs more work. So it's a lot more done than it was a few months ago.

..everything old is getting new sprites...

Dominions 4 modding is essentially unchanged from Dom3 except for a few particulars. It's still text editor + paint program. The unix newline requirement has been scrapped and -- works as comments for real now (so anything after -- on any line is ignored).

Maerlande
Member Avatar
Dom 5 Beta Team
Quote:

It is possible to set mages to only use gems for scripted spells (checkbox). That's as far as it goes.

But this ONE simple thing has far reaching consequences. You can now double load for a magic battle and a regular battle.
FAQ
Dom4mods FAQ

My Dominions 4 Guides and Videos:
Pretender Design and Analysis
Maerlande's Videos

My Nickname Source
The Maerlande Chronicles

cux47
Tartarian
Dominions 4 improvements
Here's a short list with the most important changes compared to Dominions 3.
Teamplay, one pretender and one or more disciples per team.
Thrones of Ascension. Claim thrones to gain extra powers and to win the game eventually.
Many sprites have been redrawn and the 3d terrain is also improved.
Many user interface improvements.
Formations like line formation or skirmish formation.
Improved random map generation with wraparound maps, caves, rivers and mountain passes.
Rivers that can only be passed when frozen, mountain passes that can only be passed by special units and when it's warm.
Pierce, slash and blunt weapons have slightly different quirks. E.g. don't shoot arrows at skeletons.
Darkness and dark vision plays a more important role. Notably in deep seas, caves and sometimes during assassinations.
Range restrictions on magic rituals and items and spells that can be used to boost ritual ranges.
Improved network support, turns can be resumed from any computer and turns can be marked as only half finished.
Global random events
Can build castle improvements like extra towers or extra supply storage
Province Defence dependent on the local population and some nations have easier or harder to organize it.
Improvements to AI and to modding.
Many new monsters, spells, magic items, sites, random events and some nations too.

Trumanator
Member Avatar
*Spicy* Crew
Edit: My mistake, but citing sources is kind of important you know.
Posted Image

TheDemon
Member Avatar
*Spicy* Crew
That's a quote from Illwinter's Dominions 4 site.
Calahan,May 27 2012
11:00 AM

"should only ever buff UP stuff to make it competitve with OP stuff" is a pretty bollocks idea on which to base a gameplay mod around.
Download DE 0.13 here, released May 13, 2012

Torgon
Member Avatar
*Spicy* Crew
I cannot describe how excited I am for this.

When is the release date? Illwinter, don't leave us hanging.

Maerlande
Member Avatar
Dom 5 Beta Team
It's just 2 of them. Let them have the time they need.
FAQ
Dom4mods FAQ

Maerlande's Videos

My Nickname Source
The Maerlande Chronicles

Sombre
Member Avatar
Leader of the Community
Maerlande,Jun 23 2013
12:38 PM
It's just 2 of them. Let them have the time they need.

Don't be grumpy Maerlande!
I mod for free and fun. But if you want to tip me for work I've done, you can do so through PayPal to rabbitoflegend@gmail.com
General Mods: No PopType Recruitment (NI), No Mercs
Mod Nations: Warhammer Empire, Warhammer Lizardmen, Warhammer Skaven, Warhammer Chaos Dwarfs, Warhammer Ogre Kingdoms
Maps: Warhammer World
Older mods not yet ported: AI Recruitment, Ulm Reborn, Black Ulm, Jomon Broken, Avernum, Tharoon, Arga Dis, Daikaiju, Epic Magic Fail, Dromeda

Jazzepi
*Spicy* Crew
Sombre,Jun 23 2013
12:49 PM
Maerlande,Jun 23 2013
12:38 PM
It's just 2 of them.  Let them have the time they need.

Don't be grumpy Maerlande!

Too late.

Maerlande
Member Avatar
Dom 5 Beta Team
Hey! That wasn't very grumpy! I had a good sleep for a change. Although I do have two bored crabby kids this morning due to massive rain. We are also dealing with massive flooding here. 100,000 people evacuated in Calgary and the entire downtown is flooded many feet deep. It missed us. My town is on high ground but the river is on watch.
FAQ
Dom4mods FAQ

Maerlande's Videos

My Nickname Source
The Maerlande Chronicles

Edi
Member Avatar
*Spicy* Crew
The armor and weapon types entry is wrong. Resistances (slash/pierce/blunt) reduce damage of that type by 50% and are separate from armor. Each damage type interacts differently with the protection value and that is a separate mechanic from the damage type resistances.

Maerlande
Member Avatar
Dom 5 Beta Team
Edi,Jun 23 2013
09:04 AM
The armor and weapon types entry is wrong. Resistances (slash/pierce/blunt) reduce damage of that type by 50% and are separate from armor. Each damage type interacts differently with the protection value and that is a separate mechanic from the damage type resistances.

Thanks Edi. I'll fix that.
FAQ
Dom4mods FAQ

Maerlande's Videos

My Nickname Source
The Maerlande Chronicles

Foodstamp
Member Avatar
*Spicy* Crew
Edi,

Can you elaborate on the following?

Quote:

Edi
Member Avatar
*Spicy* Crew
Foodstamp,Jun 25 2013
03:03 PM
Edi,

Can you elaborate on the following?

Quote:

Game setup, for disciple games:

For each team, one nation has a pretender god. The gods of other nations on the team are not called pretenders, but disciples.

When creating a god or disciple for a team game, the choices of gods and disciples are different. The pretender is created like any pretender, no difference, but the chassis selection is more limited. Likewise the disciples, it's a limited set of chassis choices (different than the pretender choices) and disciples can only use their points for chassis cost and magic paths. Dominion, bless etc is defined for all nations by the pretender.

I don't know if there is an upper limit for nations per team. However, there is a clustered start option in disciple games, similar to CoE3, so allied nations start close together. If you have more than three nations in a team, clustered start becomes really crowded really fast. If you don't use clustered start, you have more latitude, but if someone starts surrounded by nations from other teams, they'll be really quickly ganked.

Nations on the same team can move through each other's territory unhindered, search for sites in allied provinces and see the same scouting reports. What one sees, all see. You can't use each other's labs, forts or temples (for sacrificing), though. Number of temples required to increase dominion strength 1 point is not a direct 5/point, but a function of the number of nations so that it stays relative. I forget the exact formula, but I'm certain Bruce Geryk will put it in the manual.

This is more or less what has been posted on Qt3 and quoted in the Desura thread.

Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · General · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Skin created by Nikku from Zathyus Networks Resources