Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Dominions 5 Mods. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
UnitGen for Dominions 4
Topic Started: Sep 15 2013, 05:33 PM (53,530 Views)
Elmokki
Member Avatar
*Spicy* Crew
As of July 17th 2015 I think it's high time I actually updated the first post!

UnitGen was originally written for Dominions 3. It's a program that generates nations from scratch and draws it's own sprites that aren't too awful either since they're built from Dominions sprite parts. Only in UnitGen you can experience procedurally generated awesomeness such as hoburgs riding cave men, hoburg clockwork mechas, bear cavalry and lizards with Caelian slaves. There are also funky shapeshifts that make sense more or less, like mages turning to ghosts for the remainder of the battle when they die so they can keep casting.

Original program and majority of the code was written by me, but there have been substantial content submissions by other people, most notably I can remember RagnarokX making the Atlantian race as a whole and kianduatha adding a lot of stuff to existing races, most notably the Abysian cavalry. Ealb took over all development for about a year starting from Fall of 2014 and has written code and added a massive amount of content to the program since. Especially the hoburgs as they are now are a great show of his work.

Right now the newest version can always be found here (or alternatively direct links should be at the end of the thread)
https://github.com/elmokki/nationgen/releases/

Double click the .jar to open GUI.

Here's a list of people who have contributed (with more than just few lines in IRC, even though I really do appreciate all constructive feedback very much). If you should be on the list, I'm sorry I've forgotten you. Notify me so I can fix it:
kianduatha: Abysian mounted units, many nation naming files, old flag parts, lots of balance advice and probably more that I forget about
RagnarokX: The Atlantian race except for the nation naming file. Also some human mounts.
Flypaper: Abysian demonbred graphics and a pile of flag parts.
Ealb: Massive amounts of stuff.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

<span style=Burnsaber</span>
Member Avatar
A Flaming Tool
I've been out for a while.

What exactly is UnitGen? Why do you need units for it? In what format should they be sent and where?

Fantomen
Member Avatar
Voice of *****
It's an app that generates random nations, complete with sprites and everything. It's amazing, try the dom3 version to get the idea.
This sentence is a logical fallacy.

Edi
Member Avatar
*Spicy* Crew
Burnsaber,Sep 16 2013
06:16 AM

What exactly is UnitGen? Why do you need units for it? In what format should they be sent and where?

UnitGen is a utility that will automatically generate units, their sprites, stats and everything else and can also generate entire nations from scratch, using premade component libraries (sprites for example are assembled from pieces such as weapons, legs, torsos, heads, mounts etc). It's been fairly popular.

Elmokki, I'll see about getting you an advance copy of the Dom4 DB at some point, but not until the game is released because before that I have too much to do and the DB in its current state is still very much unfinished. If you only need the base tables, then it may be sooner than the public release is ready.

Elmokki
Member Avatar
*Spicy* Crew
Edi,Sep 16 2013
06:31 AM
Burnsaber,Sep 16 2013

UnitGen is a utility that will automatically generate units, their sprites, stats and everything else and can also generate entire nations from scratch, using premade component libraries (sprites for example are assembled from pieces such as weapons, legs, torsos, heads, mounts etc). It's been fairly popular.

Elmokki, I'll see about getting you an advance copy of the Dom4 DB at some point, but not until the game is released because before that I have too much to do and the DB in its current state is still very much unfinished. If you only need the base tables, then it may be sooner than the public release is ready.

Weapon/armor tables are pretty much the only actually important thing. I used site table to avoid name conflicts and I think I used the unit table for something really trivial like being able to write the names of #copystatted units to descriptions - and those were rare in the first place and could be done with a simple workaround anyway.

Weapon/armor tables are used for:
- Resource lookups to calculate total resource costs related to PD and start army choices
- Checking if a weapon is ranged, twohanded or if it has limited ammo like javelins
- Checking weapon lengths (to avoid dual wielding with a spear or a long spear pretty much)
- Copying all relevant weapon data when creating custom items. You actually need to copy quite a few fields to be able to make a weapon with a #secondaryeffect without issues.

The two middle ones are actually relevant for basic unit generation, but it's not too bad to tag the item definitions with #2h or #ranged or whatever for now either if it comes to that. The first one could be worked around with some sort of similiar tagging even though that'd be hell of a lot bigger job. The last one is something that can't be worked around without hell of a lot of hassle.

Elmokki
Member Avatar
*Spicy* Crew
Burnsaber,Sep 16 2013
In what format should they be sent and where?

Once I get a working enough version (or if we're pessimistic, if I do) I'm more than happy to put in content made by someone else. Not before, though, since I'm changing some stuff enough. It's not hard: RagnarokX figured how to make Atlanteans for the Dom3 UnitGen without too much need of consultation from me and the graphics there look easily good enough to be added as they are (though there are no attack sprites or those really big atlantean mages).

Honestly it's mostly my content in UnitGen that needs revising. Not all of it or even close to all of it, but some of the armor available to certain races just looks dumb on them and for example I don't think Machakans should be just better statted dark skinned version of the lighter skinned humans. Caelians should also get ice armor instead of pretty much the same stuff humans get.

Edi
Member Avatar
*Spicy* Crew
If it's just the weapons and armor, I can get you those in two weeks or a bit more than that. I'm abroad for almost a week starting on the 23rd, but updating the weapons and armor tables is a one evening job anyway, thanks to the work I've put in earlier. So could be this week or could be after my trip, I'll see what I can do.

Sites and other stuff is no go and the monsters need a lot more work before I will consider releasing those.

Elmokki
Member Avatar
*Spicy* Crew
Edi,Sep 16 2013
10:04 AM
If it's just the weapons and armor, I can get you those in two weeks or a bit more than that. I'm abroad for almost a week starting on the 23rd, but updating the weapons and armor tables is a one evening job anyway, thanks to the work I've put in earlier. So could be this week or could be after my trip, I'll see what I can do.

Sites and other stuff is no go and the monsters need a lot more work before I will consider releasing those.

How changed are the weapon and armor lists anyway? On a quick glance it seemed like most of the weapons and armor you'd expect to see on something that isn't very special seem to have the same id as before. I bet there's new stuff of course and some stuff has probably changed ids, but a quick glance at MA Tien'chi showed no real problems.

Of course I'd need to add damage types to the list by hand if I wanted to make new weapons based on old ones and in general knowing what secondaryeffects to use is a lot easier with a list, but for general unit generation it's mostly resource cost, length, twohandedness, range and ammo I need and I doubt those have changed radically.

Edi
Member Avatar
*Spicy* Crew
Most weapon IDs are the same, but several have had their stats altered (all mundane axes, nearly all mundane polearms, most bows). There are almost a couple hundred new weapons and then there are the damage types for the lot.

Armor list has had more significant changes in that some stuff in the middle has changed (including names) and the values are different for some things. Less new stuff, though.

So you'll save a lot of work if you wait a few days.

Elmokki
Member Avatar
*Spicy* Crew
Posted Image

Yeah. Flags from Dominions 3 are obviously broken. The sprite dump luckily has the base Dominions 4 flags, but well... yeah.

As per the 3 different base flags of Dominions 4 and their default shaded borders UnitGen flags are now built from 5 layers instead of 4:

- Flag base (3 options, previously 1)
- Flag border (NEW!)
- Flag pattern (Paints stuff like lines or cross or something on the flag)
- Flag top (Puts something cool on top of the flag)
- Flag center (Puts something cool on the flag)

Last two are mutually exclusive.

The trouble here is that I had a ton of patterns, tops and centers for Dominions 3 and those are pretty much unusable now. I did add a few - not all are shown since some of the tops and centers are heavily tied to magic paths - of all categories, but the flags have a tendency to look fairly similar to each other because there really aren't that many patterns (3 per base flag compared to the around 10 in old Unitgen) and there are quite few different tops and centers too since I only quickly grabbed a few from the dump and didn't even bother drawing any original ones. Not that the old one had many originals though. Serpents on top of flags are pretty common right now since the current version only has 3 races and one of them is lizards.

Adding flag graphics is really something I expect someone to help me with since it's not hard, it just feels a bit stupid when I could be coding something instead. I could release a shitty version soon if someone actually wants to do it, but otherwise it's probably going to be like this until I have a proper version.

Speaking of proper versions, sacreds and all the (fairly many) funky things related to them are really the only big thing before Dominions 4 UnitGen works well enough to generate good enough nations for a proper release.

There's some other stuff as well though. In addition to flags today I have moved to Dom4DB, which required some tweaking, and updated the id ranges to Dom4 ones.

Elmokki
Member Avatar
*Spicy* Crew
There's a second batch to show off some stuff that didn't show on the first one and a few changes. I added a couple of patterns, forced at least either a border or a pattern be drawn so the flags are less boring and made it possible that the border spawns considerably darker than the pattern (see the big sword flag and the snake flag)

Posted Image

Elmokki
Member Avatar
*Spicy* Crew
http://koti.kapsi.fi/~elmokki/dom4/unitgen...onGen_0.0.2.zip

Release worthy but crappy version \:D/

Sombre
Member Avatar
Leader of the Community
Awesome work Elmokki. I'm super glad to see this ported to dom4.
I mod for free and fun. But if you want to tip me for work I've done, you can do so through PayPal to rabbitoflegend@gmail.com
General Mods: No PopType Recruitment (NI), No Mercs
Mod Nations: Warhammer Empire, Warhammer Lizardmen, Warhammer Skaven, Warhammer Chaos Dwarfs, Warhammer Ogre Kingdoms
Maps: Warhammer World
Older mods not yet ported: AI Recruitment, Ulm Reborn, Black Ulm, Jomon Broken, Avernum, Tharoon, Arga Dis, Daikaiju, Epic Magic Fail, Dromeda

Elmokki
Member Avatar
*Spicy* Crew
0.0.3 (preliminary patchnotes just so people don't report/suggest bugs I already fixed)
---------------
- Bardiche got new stats
- Lowered the price of +2 resistances on sacreds from 15g to 5g
- Lowered the cost of all mounts by 15 gold since autocalc increases it by 15 gold
- Gave all mounted units +2hp
- Gave ambidextrous to all dual wielders again
- Encumberance of 4 or more from equipment slows down movement of non-mounted units. This was tied to prot in Dominions 3 version.
- Old age might appear again.

Elmokki
Member Avatar
*Spicy* Crew
http://koti.kapsi.fi/~elmokki/dom4/unitgen...IAL_EDITION.zip

Consider it 0.0.3-RC2 or some shit like that. It fixes various stuff not mentioned above.

Highlight: Sacred pricing was completely fucked due to a bug applying some gold cost changes twice. Sometimes you got good benefit for it though, like +10 berserkers!

ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums with no limits on posts or members.
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Forge of the Ancients · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Skin created by Nikku from Zathyus Networks Resources