Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Fugitive Forums. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
VW Steering Retro-fit finally finished.
Topic Started: Mar 14 2018, 10:21 AM (63 Views)
gtmdriver
Member Avatar
Fuggin' Crazy
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I have finally finished retro-fitting the VW steering box, tie rods and damper into my Fugitive 2.

When I bought it there was a Vauxhall Cavalier steering rack fitted along with fabricated tie rods.

Posted Image

Having never driven the car before I rebuilt it I left the system in place during the rebuild. Once I began to drive the car it was obvious that it was not suitable. There was massive amounts of bump steer and it actually had anti-Ackerman steering geometry causing the outer wheel to turn tighter then the inner one when cornering. The tyres would scrub and squeal under even mild cornering.

I removed all the non-standard components and fitted a new steering box, new steering damper and reconditioned tie rods with new ball joints.

Posted Image

The hardest part of the job was lining up the original upper steering column with the input spline on the steering box. I did not want to use a complete VW column as the steering wheel usually ends up being too low in the car.

I had originally fabricated the column from Mini and Vauxhall parts and I retained most of this, made up a small section to clamp to the steering box rubber coupling then linked the two sections using a Vauxhall Astra double UJ coupling.

Posted Image

To prevent unwanted sideways movement I made up new bearings so both straight shafts are fully supported at each end.

The standard battery will be replaced by a smaller Varley Red Top 25 which fits very neatly when laid on it's side.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

« Previous Topic · Brakes, Steering and Suspension · Next Topic »
Add Reply