Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Fugitive Forums. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
intake trumpets
Topic Started: Jun 9 2010, 07:39 PM (3,033 Views)
Knighty
Fuggin' chats like a robot
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
thought you all might like to see my new intakes.......decided the off-the-shelf stuff was horrendously expensive, so I designed these, and the clever blokes at work knocked em up. Made from 1-1/2" OD tube, 16 gauge thick, or 38mm OD/35mm ID, 1.5mm wall in new money!.......the swaged end was formed by ramming a 2" OD steel ball in the end of each tube in a fly press, which I must say worked a treat, total length is 6", the standard alfa items are 4" but they are bent through 90 degrees which is not a great idea on any intake system......I'm hoping the extra 2" of length and smaller ID will increase the air velocity and move the peak torque down by about 1000rpm.....I have bought some triple layer foam sock filters from ebay, 20 for 4 including delivery was a great price, also got some special air filter oil to pre-treat them with..........I have got a good feel for the current set-up, so will post an update from my seat-of-pants dynomometer :D

plan is to first install them on my 40 dellortos and blat it about a bit and see how it gos......then try out the Weber 36 IDF's, which they will be better sizet to with a 35mm trumpet bore.

Posted Image

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

gtmdriver
Member Avatar
Fuggin' Crazy
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Nice work!

The engineering is of far higher quality than on some 'professional' items I have seen.

How did you weld on the trumpets without distorting the flat mounting plate?

100bob
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
They do look nice, and I have to agree the price of these things from Dellorto is very difficult to justify. I got my trumpets from Budapest, and as rediculas as it sounds they were a lot cheaper and could be got quicker than buying them locally. I'm not that clued on trumpet lenghts to be fair, but mine are 60mm, and splayed out to 80mm at the ends. I found out about them from an italian 131 racing site. Is it more length for torque and shorter for bhp or something! I just wanted it to look good, don't really need more power.

Knighty
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
they were kept flat by g-clamping them to a slab of billet aluminium, which acts as a flat base and a heat sink to prevent curling......the bloke who made them is also a professional fabricator, the photos in his tool blox are simply mind blowing, this really was a walk in the park for him........ without wanting to blow smoke up my ass, I could have made them myself, but he was low on work, and had a burning desire to keep himself busy.......so I supplied the design on autocad ......and the tea!!!

100bob - yup, thats generally the trend......me too, I wanted something that looks a bit different and will move the peak torque down a bit........right - out the the garage to fit them now!!!!

« Previous Topic · Engine and Gearbox · Next Topic »
Add Reply