Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Fugitive Forums. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Rover v8 conversion
Topic Started: Dec 19 2010, 08:02 PM (4,043 Views)
JonT
[ *  * ]
Hi all,

Does anybody have any useful information or images about either existing installations or conversion to Rover v8 power??

I'm looking to shoehorn a 3.5l EFI motor, coupled to a Renault UN1 box into the back of a Fug2.

Would be nice to start getting some details together about how to do this. The best deal would be to mount the v8 in a mid-engined configuration, but I'm guessing that's going to mean me cutting my legs short...not ideal you could say! :P

So, if anyone has any info, that would help me from having to re-invent the wheel....

Thanks in advance!!

Jon.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Knighty
Fuggin' chats like a robot
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Hi John - sounds like your goint to mid-mount it with that renault gearbox, if so it will probably look like this set of images below, if your ok with that look then go for it, but I must say the images below are of an "aquired taste" ......yuk!.......if you have a V8 and a fug-2, I would be inclined to get yourself a proper gearbox that can handle the torque (porsche 911) and rear mount the engine in the fug 2, its been done many times now and it does look really neat when done properly:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

JonT
[ *  * ]
Yup, that was a topic of discussion with a techno-savvy friend today. I hadn't got as far as measuring it out to see how it would end up. Seeing the pictures, that's most definitely an ugly sister...yuk indeed!

I was informed that a 911 box is bloomin' expensive to get hold of, hence the choice for UN1. Obviously an automatic choice for GT40, but I have a feeling this puts me back to square one.

Great advice at least, thanks...! (just means I have even more trouble with 'er indoors about budget with the cost now likely going up for this conversion!)

Will have to keep an eye out for an affordable 911 box...

I'd also heard something about Transporter (T2) boxes being stronger and maybe able to take the load??

Not knowledgeable about VW's at all, but what about a T3 diesel setup? Or is that a whole different setup?

JonT
[ *  * ]
Quick update for those interested...

Have since returned to my original idea of a UN1 box. I've heard that some people have reversed the diff to reverse drive direction. This means the v8 can still be hung out the back. Keeping the tank in the front and the heavy front axle should make it driveable.

Type 2 bus transaxle is always an option, but a bit pricey to source these days and only 4 gears.

Thing is I'm dealing with a total length of approx. 150cm for the engine/box combination and as far as I can see there's only 100cm to play with. That could make it interesting.

Watch this space :D

BTW, off to see Rutger's beast on Friday, very curious to see that!

Knighty
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
JonT,Dec 22 2010
08:44 PM
BTW, off to see Rutger's beast on Friday, very curious to see that!

so where are you based then???......wise decision, rear mount will be fine, but plan to get some weight up the front, ideally the fuel tank and radiator

JonT
[ *  * ]
I'm based in Utrecht, bang in the centre of Holland. Jaunted over here in '98 with suitcase and rucksack for a 3 month period and am still here :P

Popped in to see Rutger on Friday...that's quite some monster he's building there. I'm always fascinated by people like him that can pluck parts from here and there and make them into one cohesive whole. I'm more a plug 'n play type that treads the tried and tested path...so have the utmost respect for people with such insight. Rutger, I dock my hat to you B)

Anyways, first things first is to get one of these beasts into the garage. I'm on the job and if all goes well, that'll be in a week or so. Then strip the engine out and see what it is I've got and what steps to then take.

Agreed, as much weight up front as possible. In that respect, the torsion bar is a great thing cos that sorts some of it out. The rad will be a challenge as to where to put, but don't see it going up front...where exactly?! I had a Global GT Light once which has the rad mounted horizontally right up the front, but that won't work with the Fug. The only other place is under the bonnet, but I'm not convinced there's enough space. I'd say either across the rear, above the engine, or two small ones just in front of the engine , low down on either side of the 'box. Doesn't solve the weight problem, but hey...there's always wheely bars :D

Knighty
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
98 - cripes!!!.....yes, you are in very safe hands being near to rutger, the boy is most definatley smoking some good gear!!!.........for radiators, perhaps think along the lines of using a pair of heater matrix cores, or a big (thick) heater matrix from a larger vehicle, go on ebay and type in "landrover discovery heater matrix" here are a few

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Landrover-Discovery-...=item2eb1577a8d

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/LANDROVER-DISCOVERY-...=item41535a2961

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/LAND-ROVER-DISCOVERY...=item3cac10b3c7

you may be able to fit 2 up front in a "V" formation as the fug-2 nose is quite roomy......but I do feel a bit of a hippocrite suggesting this, as I have purposely avoided doing this on my fug as I dont want the long coolant hose runs along the length of my fug.......hence the next suggestions

I have previously seen a ferrari dino replica using a beetle floor pan, with a rear mounted 1.7 alfa boxer on a beetle gear box, and the guy used a pair of mini radiators, each slung just behind the 2 drive axles, it was real neat and worked a treat, if you go for this sort of arrangement be sure to fit a well ducted electric fan on each rad, ideally a modern one, as they are very efficient now days, I run 2 off the 10" diameter fans on my rear-side mounted rad, all I do is switch them on and drive it around.

one thing I will say is that any engines cooling system is designed with a heater matrix on the engines cooling jacket side of the cooling loop, my fug does run a little hot and I'm convinced its because I'm not running the heater matrix, I currently run a Mk1 golf double pass rad, which is a good size, but on hot days it sometimes needs a tad more, therefore plan to fit a "heater matrix radiator" too, purely for extra cooling backuo, I will do this behind an axle, for the reasons mentioned above.

a few years back there was a fug-4 owner who mounted a V6 cosworth 24V (200bhp) in the back of his fug, a real fine job I must say, he put a big radiator low mounted near the gear box and had a pair of big kenlowe fans permanently switched on, worked a treat.

failing that take a look at mattd's ex UVA demo car (fug 2) fitted with a VW golf GTI engine, that has a horizontal/diagonal mounted golf rad up the front and would be ideal to copy. just make sure you duct it and baffle it properly, any gaps will just allow air to bypass the rad - not good.......while talking to matt you may also want to look at his V8 powered fug-2!!!.....you can eat your dinner off it, truly one of the best fug-2's ever

also whenever you get a radiator, avoid the stuff with big round tubes in the cores, these are cheap and old technology, the newer type of flat tube cores are about 10-20% more efficient.......and if you look even closer the flat tubes with dimples pressed in them are even more efficient, as they turbulate the flow for better heat rejection!!.........whatever you do eventually do, just make sure its properly ducted and adequatley fan protected, the fanshould also be ducted, not just slapped on the back, also that check your fan is either a pusher or a sucker, best of luck. :D

Electrovito
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Knighty,Jan 2 2011
02:15 PM

failing that take a look at mattd's ex UVA demo car (fug 2) fitted with a VW golf
GTI engine, that has a horizontal/diagonal mounted golf rad up the front and would
be ideal to copy. just make sure you duct it and baffle it properly, any gaps will
just allow air to bypass the rad - not good.......while talking to matt you may also
want to look at his V8 powered fug-2!!!.....you can eat your dinner off it, truly one
of the best fug-2's ever

Check out this post to see what Mattd has done with the rad now, with pictures as he has moved to above the engine.

http://forums.fugitives.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=1126

JonT
[ *  * ]
Hi there guys,

Sorry, been incommunicado for a few weeks, but there's been some movement!

Got meself a Fug at last, recognise it?? :P It's the one sold by 'jacko' early 2010 that's found its' way onto the continent and into my garage. It was being proferred by a Dutch kitcar trader, so didn't have the hassles of import and it's a good basis for the project. Was very tempted to buy Elliots' beast, but to a certain extent it's just such a shame to strip and hack apart what looks like such a beautiful machine.

In the meanwhile also sourced myself a 1989 Range Rover v8 and a UN1 gearbox. Whilst visiting a friend of mine last weekend, we talked about the project and "oh would you have it", he said, "I've got a Rover V8 : UN1 adaptor plate in the garage you can have". Fantastic.

So now looking into options on converting to discs at the front and in the meantime it's time to strip out the 1300cc block and box, then try and shoehorn in the Rover...that'll be quite some challenge!

Regarding rads, thanks for the info Knighty. I think going the way of a couple of smaller rads might well be a better way to go. I've taken a look at the pics Electrovito (kindly) posted, but I'm just not comfortable with the idea of a rad sitting above my neck full with scolding hot water. One stone at speed and you're literally roasted. Just had my old Transporter go up in flames last week, so I've had enough of hot stuff for quite some time :blink:

First things first, got to try and see how I can get the v8/un1 combination in there and see how much room is left. Should be ok and with a bit of strategically placed ducting, quite do-able to chuck in the smaller rads. Up-front is always an option, the piping along the side doesn't bother me too much. If anything it'd be an advantage to have some more weight up front. Ach, we'll see.

A bigger question will concern the driveline and whether the current 1300 driveshafts/joints will survive the torque of the v8.

Much to look into!

rutger
Member Avatar
Fuggin' Crazy
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Hi Knighty and Jon, Thank for the goods words! :D

Great friend you have.. :blink: free adpaterplate :lol:
If you want to fit the engine/gearbox, its probably more easy to cut out the reartube as we talked about. then weld this as the most last part.. B)

JonT
[ *  * ]
Hey Rutger,

Been off doing other things for a while, so been incommunicado (again!)...

Yup, have already hacked out the rear tube as if anything it makes it easier removing the old 'lump'...it'll need putting back differently due to the additional length of the positively gargantuan Rover/UN1 combination...

« Previous Topic · Engine and Gearbox · Next Topic »
Add Reply