Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Fugitive Forums. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Clutch cable ? length; What cable have I got?
Topic Started: May 22 2012, 08:05 PM (1,128 Views)
simch
[ *  * ]
Doing a mini rebuild on the fug as it never fitted me too well.

Modified some Kirkey ally seats, over them back in the chassis a bit and moved the pedal box forwards for more room, ( I am 6ft 1)

My chassis was already drilled in three places for the pedals, giving three possible positions, it is. Type 1 air cooled motor. Pedals were in the rearmost hole, ie closest to the driver.
I have a stock looking clutch adjustment wing nut at the back, and a stock looking pedal hook at the front of the cable, but having moved the pedal forward, I need it to be longer. So I looked up all the Arizona beetle cable lengths all around 2.2m, then measured mine and it is 1.81 m approx! All looks stock.
Nearest cable I can find is a beetle handbrake cable at 1804mm, not sure what ends it has.
Mk 1 golf and mk2 seem to be about 1450 to 1500 mm so it is not one of them.

Cable I have does not appear extended or shortened. Runs in a copper tube then through the stock beetle conduit up to the type 1 box.

Any ideas what I have and what I need? What clutch cable does everyone else with a type 1 air cooled motor run?

Cheers
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

100bob
Fuggin' chats like a robot
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I can't remember who does it, but there's a kit for the handbrake, clutch and throttle cable, poss speedo too!! It's not dear, I bought it to do the handbrake and it was viable just for that. I had a hydraulic clutch, so can't actually answer you're specific question.

gtmdriver
Member Avatar
Fuggin' Crazy
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Vehicle Wiring Products do all the stuff you need (inner, outer, ferrules and nipples) to make up your own cables.

Venhill do the same stuff but will also make up cables to your supplied dimensions.

Speedy Cables will make up cables but don't supply the bits.

http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.eu/VWP-...ontrolcable.php

http://www.venhill.co.uk/Cables_-_Components_&_Kits

http://www.speedycables.com/cables.html

Paul
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I'd second the Venhill recommendation, had a universal accelerator cable kit from them. The kit was good quality and came with a wide selection of ends.

simch
[ *  * ]
I think I am just going to extend it with a coupler nut and some m6 threaded bar. But maybe get one made up as a spare for then this inevitably breaks!

Progress slowing now as last few weeks it has been too flipping wet, ( working on chassis in drive) and now it is too blooming hot! But getting there slowly.

simch
[ *  * ]
100bob,May 22 2012
08:47 PM
I can't remember who does it, but there's a kit for the handbrake, clutch and throttle cable, poss speedo too!! It's not dear, I bought it to do the handbrake and it was viable just for that. I had a hydraulic clutch, so can't actually answer you're specific question.

Don't suppose you still have the unused clutch cable do you...?? ,!

100bob
Fuggin' chats like a robot
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I don't have anything Fug related anymore.

When Fug went to my garage at work, it freed my home one up for a total refurb. I cleared everything I wasn't likely to need again.

I can't even 100% remember what the other bits in the kit looked like. I bought it purely for the handbrake ends, which worked very well, so can only assume the rest of the kit was to the same standard.

I've looked on ebay, as I think that's where it came from, but can't find another. I bought stuff from Volkspares and heritage, chance are it was from one of those otherwise.

Just a pointer, check the prices on your parts across suppliers each time, they may be expensive on some bits, but cheap on others. I mean excessively different for the exact same part, up to 50% different.

« Previous Topic · Engine and Gearbox · Next Topic »
Add Reply