Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Fugitive Forums. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
1st gear slipage; Its a dropout!
Topic Started: Sep 24 2012, 07:35 PM (50,188 Views)
Tiny Tim
Advanced Member
[ *  *  * ]
The 1st gear on my fug is seriously screwed. With only the slightest acceleration it has a tendency to judder and eventually slip out of gear.
With no real experience of this before im not sure what it could be?
Any suggestions for a beginner?
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

100bob
Fuggin' chats like a robot
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
There's a number of things that can be, but in honesty if it's not down the poor linkage adjustment or wear, it's easier and cheaper to just stick another gearbox in.

Tiny Tim
Advanced Member
[ *  *  * ]
The weird thing is every other gear is great. Its just 1st... I will have a look at the linkage when I strip down everything this weekend. I suspect the previous owner used it for thrashing around in 1st tearing up the mud judging by the amount thats engrained into everywhere!
If thats not the solution does anyone know of a gearbox bargain knocking about?

Tiny Tim
Advanced Member
[ *  *  * ]
Just as an update... Upon closer examination the wear in the gearbox mounts was ridiculous, the rubber had completely perished. The nosecone brackets securing it the front gearbox mounts hadalso sheared... It looks like the gearbox was flopping around so was juddering when pressure was applied. I am replacing the gearbox and mounts too so hopefully there will be no further issues!

100bob
Fuggin' chats like a robot
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
They do them all in poly, well worth the extra couple of quid.

Tiny Tim
Advanced Member
[ *  *  * ]
Ive invested in some Rhino ones... :D

Tiny Tim
Advanced Member
[ *  *  * ]
As a further update, I am also now replacing the gearbox.
I drained the oil and found two teeth attached to the magnetic plug.
Hours of fun for all the family!
Its been a bitch taking the adapter plate off... A 'Hewland' one if anyone is interested. The bolts appear to be welded to the gearbox so have needed mild encouragement to loosen. The bolts also appear to only be able to be removed if you remove the bolts holding the swingaxle plate in place...
Each job seems to lead to another...

ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Join the millions that use us for their forum communities. Create your own forum today.
« Previous Topic · Engine and Gearbox · Next Topic »
Add Reply