Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Fugitive Forums. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
EFI Conversion (Part 2)
Topic Started: Apr 8 2016, 06:38 PM (420 Views)
gtmdriver
Member Avatar
Fuggin' Crazy
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
The exhaust is a standard Beetle item and I had already welded the lambda sensor bung in place during the car build.

Posted Image

The toothed wheel and crank position sensor came from Triggerwheels. The wheel was very carefully mounted, welded and finally machined on a lathe. The sensor is a Ford VR item.

Posted Image

The coil pack is also a Ford item and I mounted that where the original VW ignition coil had been.

Posted Image

I mounted all the electronics of a single GRP board

Posted Image

then mounted the board to the N/S engine side cover.

Posted Image

The high pressure fuel system was similarly mounted on the O/S engine side panel then plumbed in using stainless steel tubing and bio-fuel safe rubber lines.

Posted Image

After a couple of adjustments to get a good crank position signal it fired up first time and the next day, after a bit of fiddling with the settings, I took it out for a drive with the autotune function switched on. It's very odd to drive a car which is tuning itself as you go.

Even at this early stage it's a definite improvement over the carburetted version.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

rutger
Member Avatar
Fuggin' Crazy
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Sweet :)

How did you figure out how to tune your ignition?

I have an MSQ from my 1915cc type1 if you would like to compare..

It was a 1915, engle W110, mexico EFI, ahnendorp header and mild tune for a T2 bus.

gtmdriver
Member Avatar
Fuggin' Crazy
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
rutger,Apr 24 2016
07:57 PM
Sweet :)

How did you figure out how to tune your ignition?

I have an MSQ from my 1915cc type1 if you would like to compare..

It was a 1915, engle W110, mexico EFI, ahnendorp header and mild tune for a T2 bus.

I basically replicated the advance curve and vacuum advance data from the OEM VW distributor in the Ignition Table so as far as I can tell it's running just as if it had a distributor fitted.

It's certainly OK as regards pre ignition and pinking but I won't know how suitable it is power wise till I get it onto a rolling road.

I'd love to see the .msq file from your tune although I don't know if it will be comparable as my engine is a totally standard 600 TP.

rutger
Member Avatar
Fuggin' Crazy
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
you are right. A stock 1600 doesnt have so much advance in the ignition.

So with full throttle en "higher"rpm range, the stock curve is ok.

But for lower rpm en cruising around, you can win some torque and fuel consumption.
If you give me your email, I will send you the .MSQ

B)

gtmdriver
Member Avatar
Fuggin' Crazy
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I've sent you a PM

« Previous Topic · Engine and Gearbox · Next Topic »
Add Reply