Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Fugitive Forums. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Fugitive IRS conversion 944 S2
Topic Started: Dec 8 2017, 09:14 PM (104 Views)
Fuglededumm
[ * ]
A brief summary of project Porsche-As2

More details on the Bajaclub club forum,

Decided to go to an IRS rear end, mainly for the fun of it, but also as a suspension/brake improvement prior to an engine swap. Hopefully someone will find this of interest.

Before

Posted Image

I bought an eBay S2 rear end with the alloy arms and CV's. Also bought a handbrake set up as it was missing.

Posted Image

I made a jig, then chopped the torsion bar tube up so I could re use the brackets - to use the after market brackets and bushings was going to be 125 in extra parts of a lower quality!

Posted Image

Welded these on reusing cut off bits of the tube to make spacers between the larger Porsche tube and the beetle one. They wrap round about 250 degs. then the spacers lock them in place.

Posted Image

Drilled and tapped the beetle handbrake ends to fit the Porsche handbrake

Posted Image

Fabricated a gearbox mount for a 002 bus box - the 100mm Porsche CVs fit straight on and are the perfect length. Used a single Landrover engine mount on the front and BMW transmission mounts on the rear.

Posted Image

Had a template made to re-drill the wheels to 5x130 from 4x130 and used a 5mm steel Porsche wheel "spacer" as a backing plate to make them hub-centric.

Posted Image

After extensive research I bought Golf Mk4 150/180hp Calipers (288mm discs). Then de-rusted and painted them. Sprang for a new set of Porsche discs (299mm x 24mm), and with a tiny bit of alloy removal they fit and work just fine.

Posted Image

I had previously chopped off the awful cannons and replaced with used Hayabusa exhausts that work great.

After

Posted Image

Total time 4 weeks of evenings (figuring out the gearbox mount took a week!)

Cost inc delivery (roughly from what I remember!)

Porsche S2 Turbo rear + CVs 150
Handbrake parts 75
002 bus box 120
Wheel template 7.50 ( Lasermaster)
Golf Brakes 30
Wheel nuts 20
22mm 60deg Countersink to match nuts 10
2 x new Porsche Discs 63 (carparts4less)
Golf pads 15
Flexi mounts x 3 17
M14 shock mount bolts 10

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Fuglededumm
[ * ]
Well it's now 3-4mm off the stops empty so seems OK.

Second run the carb froze up, then it got temperamental because it was a bit damp. So having put at least 2 miles on it, it's time to start planning a proper motor...

Front pic for a change!

Posted Image
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

« Previous Topic · Brakes, Steering and Suspension · Next Topic »
Add Reply