Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Go4prepaid. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Tracfone expiration dates; Do the cards expire?
Topic Started: Mar 18 2009, 06:40 PM (2,286 Views)
gdsmit1
[ * ]
I'm a new Tracfone user. Actually I activated near the beginning of the year and have only bought air time online. I'm curious if the airtime cards expire. Since I've never actually had one in my hand, I've never looked at them.

The reason is I carry an emergency kit in the car. It has jumper cables, flares, etc. But I also picked up a phone for in there. It has never been opened or activated. I have a charger for it and was thinking that in addition to the 20 minutes that come with it, I could get one of the cards to go with it. But if that's going to expire in 6 months, it won't be worth the expense.

Thanks
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Turk
Member Avatar
TURKAMANIA
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
* gdsmit1 .... Hi and welcome to the Forums!

* Basically you are asking if Tracfone Airtime Cards have an Expiration Date on them from the time you purchase them?

* I'm not 100% sure, but, I think it says on the back of an Airtime Card in small print that Cards are good for up to 1 Year of purchase?

* I haven't looked at an Airtime Card in awhile myself since I have lots of minutes and lots of service days on my phone.

* However, maybe it would be better to buy a cheap $20-$30 Net10 Phone for your car - since it automatically comes with 300 minutes preloaded on it. (Net10 & Tracfone are basically the same Company) - This way you wouldn't have to worry about buying an Airtime Card for the Tracfone? (just a thought)

* Anyways, keep checking back here, for maybe someone else here will be able to clarify this situation better.. ;)

- Turk B)

AKmaro1
Member Avatar
Insane Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Boy, that's a tough one. If I'm understanding you correctly, your Tracfone isn't even activated yet, and you want to have a phone card on hand so you can add it to your un-activated phone just when you need it. (hope I'm right so far). Your phone generally needs to be activated ahead time, before it's actually needed, usually from a computer or a landline phone because you have to enter in a lot of numbers on the keypad to get it going. Plus the operators tell you it might take up to 24 hrs to get it working, but all of ours have been working within minutes. So I would have yours activated already, before it's needed in an emergency.

Also if your phone is activated, you need to add airtime every 3 months at minimum to keep it active, or you can sign up on their stay active plan which keeps yours activated for 8 or 10 dollars per month I believe. Or you can buy a 1 year card for $100 and it'll stay active all year.

As far as the airtime cards "expiring", that I'm not sure about.

If I'm off on any of this I'm sure one of the other members will add to what I've said.

Any other questions, please feel free to ask.
Edited by AKmaro1, Mar 18 2009, 07:34 PM.

gdsmit1
[ * ]
You folks are dead on what I'm asking.

Thanks for the responses.

I understand about the benefit of a Net10 phone over a Tracfone. But I already have the Tracfone. I bought it from a friend that got it for his wife. She didn't like the looks of it, so never even opened it. Can't beat $5.

As for activation, that same friend activated his by calling the 800-number. Only problem is it uses about 5 minutes of that starting 20. That's why I'd like to keep the card on hand.

Maybe my best bet is to buy a card and keep it with the phone. Then next time I buy a card to update my main Tracfone, use the old one and put the new one with the emergency phone.

As a little background, keeping that phone is mainly for an emergency situation. Every phone is able to call 911, so that isn't really an issue. But we do a lot of camping and I've lost a phone before. This would allow me to use that phone if needed.

Then there's that conspiracy buff in me that looks at the movies and wonders what would happen if someone was actually tracking me with my cell phone. That emergency phone is not trackable, no ties at all to me.

Anyway, thanks for the comments and information.

Turk
Member Avatar
TURKAMANIA
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
* gdsmit1 ... ok, I have an official answer to the Airtime Card situation.

* I was at one of my many Walmarts tonight, so I looked at the Tracfone Cards. (all of them)

* It says on the back (like I thought) that the Cards are good for up to 1 Year from time of purchase.

* This is also the case for Net10 Airtime Cards ... I looked at them also.

* So there you go, case solved (lol) .... good luck on your decision ... and don't get lost in the woods!.. ;)

Detective Turk B)

« Previous Topic · General Cellular Talk · Next Topic »
Add Reply

The Light Fantastic

Copyright 2007-2014 Go4Prepaid Forums. All Rights Reserved.