Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to I Miss Bionix. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Toei Animation suing bittoorrent users
Topic Started: Feb 8 2012, 11:28 AM (114 Views)
thedormin
Member Avatar
Almost stepped their game up
Caught this on ANN this morning

Quote:

The Japanese company Toei Animation filed a copyright infringement complaint against 869 "John Does" on September 29, 2011 over the 515th episode of the One Piece television anime.

According to the suit, which was filed in district court for the District of Columbia, the unidentified defendants "worked in concert, via the internet ... to reproduce and distribute unlawful, digital copies" of the episode "One Piece: No 515, I Will Get Much, Much Stronger! Zoro's Pledge to his Captain!" via the BitTorrent file-sharing protocol. The suit lists defendants by their host IP (Internet Protocol) addresses and Internet service providers. The alleged incidents of copyright infringement took place between September 16 to September 23.

Toei Animation also filed a Motion for Leave to Take Discovery in order to find the names and addresses of the defendants, which the court granted on October 5. Toei claims in its suit that these defendants in turn "may lead to the identification of additional infringing parties." The filed complaint identifies the representative "hash" number of the file as 5683D0EFD0C703237918E2A626D8DADE9D02046D. Toei Animation is filing the suit in the District of Columbia because Toei claims "on information and belief ... at least a portion of the Defendants reside or may be found in [that] District."

Full article here: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2012-...-over-one-piece

They really seem to be bent out of shape over this whole One Piece thing going all the way back to the whole streaming debacle. I am sorta worried that if this does indeed go through what it would mean to the fansubbing community although I'm sure it would just mean they go to different means for getting their stuff out there.

Still, it's something to watch.
Posted Image

Check out Gundam Plus

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Primus
Member Avatar
Supreme Commander
I think Toei and seemingly a lot of media companies from Japan as a whole are doing the wrong thing. It's in their legal right to take down pirated releases of their materials, and I suggest they do but I don't think they should be suing the people who view these things. It's their opportunity to make sure their official web release (of which One Piece has) is the definitive version available. Make it so these people wouldn't want to pirate your content.

I'm also a bit unsympathetic for Toei in this situation since it's One Piece. The show's been designed and geared in such a way where the show isn't the product, but the associated merch is.
Visit the I Miss Bionix Blog - It's updated regularly!
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · News · Next Topic »
Add Reply