Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Malaysia Knife Forums. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Malaysian Parang Classification/Guide; By Model
Topic Started: Sep 12 2011, 11:09 AM (4,433 Views)
cicak_cobing
Member Avatar
gilo piso
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
this is a very good thread, Pak Mohd! i'm more than delighted to see this.. :)

mohd

Kindly correct my grammar and whatever needs to be corrected in there, please!

9w2eat will be able to polish it and do a professional article once it's done.. :) well, we've seen it in his reviews.. :toocool:

mohd

Parang (i.e. and golok) is called as duku among Dayak.

Pak Mohd, i think it's more appropriate to put it this way: "In Borneo (i.e. East Malaysia, Kalimantan), Parang (i.e. and golok) is called as duku among the Dayak tribes." what say you? correct me if something is wrong somewhere..

Pak Mohd, have you identified the models that you're going to put up here? :pcc:
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Deleted User
Deleted User

cicak_cobing
Sep 12 2011, 09:33 PM
.. this is a very good thread, Pak Mohd! i'm more than delighted to see this ..

Lots of thanks Zach!
Keep on giving input Zach!
I consider this as our MKF project!

cicak_cobing
.. 9w2eat will be able to polish it and do a professional article once it's done.. :) well, we've seen it in his reviews ..

You're right Zach!
Hope KJ can help us to do that!
What say you KJ?
KJ .. IMO your parang/golok has a quite similar design with mine made by Don Hanson III :)

cicak_cobing
.. Pak Mohd, i think it's more appropriate to put it this way: "In Borneo (i.e. East Malaysia, Kalimantan), Parang (i.e. and golok) is called as duku among the Dayak tribes." what say you? correct me if something is wrong somewhere ..

Accepted n done!
Lots of thanks Zach!

1. Parang is a generic name for the traditional South East Asian bladed tools with a single primary cutting edge larger (i.e. longer and wider) than pisau (i.e. knife).
2. Basically parang is meant for agricultural, gardening, farming, household and kitchen implements/tools; at the same time it is also used as weapon.
3. It's functions are for cutting, chopping, slashing, slicing, hacking, peeling, whittling, sticking and stabbing etc.
4. The OAL of a parang is in the range of ~12" to ~40".
5. The width of a parang is in the range of ~1" to ~3 1/2" at the widest part of the blade.
6. Th thickness of the spine is in the range of ~1/8" to ~5/16" near to the handle.
7. Certain type of parang with a straighter blade profile is called as a golok.
8. The maximum OAL of a golok is about ~24".
9. There are various type of blade profiles for South East Asian parang from the straight profile to the mose curviest profile.
10. Parang can be found in Malaysia, Singapore, Indonesia, Thailand (i.e. South) and Philippines (i.e. South) as well as in Cocos Keeling Island.
11. In Borneo (i.e. East Malaysia, Kalimantan), Parang (i.e. and golok) is called as duku among the Dayak tribes.
12. Parang is pronounced as par + rung
13. Golok is pronounced as go + lok
14. And duku is pronounced as doo + coo

cicak_cobing
.. Pak Mohd, have you identified the models that you're going to put up here? ..

Zach, IMHO I'll start with something which I'm familiar with!
Most probably I'll start with .. Parang Lading .. Golok Perak .. Golok Rembau .. Golok Kedah .. Sonak Udang .. etc .. then I'll follow up with those parangs posted by KJ and Nadir!
Should we include those golok which are more popular in Indonesia .. like Golok Salungkar .. Ciomas .. Kuduk .. etc?

BTW .. Patik, I'll look into the DBP definition in Kamus Dewan and other Kamus as well!
Lots of thanks Patik!

pak mohd
Quote Post Goto Top

cicak_cobing
Member Avatar
gilo piso
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
mohd

Zach, IMHO I'll start with something which I'm familiar with!
Most probably I'll start with .. Parang Lading .. Golok Perak .. Golok Rembau .. Golok Kedah .. Sonak Udang .. etc .. then I'll follow up with those parangs posted by KJ and Nadir!
Should we include those golok which are more popular in Indonesia .. like Golok Salungkar .. Ciomas .. Kuduk .. etc?

don't forget this:
kingkong

Posted Image
golok lampam

i think it's better not to go into indonesian golok & parang here.. there is room for everything.. :) as it is there is so much clouded mystery on identifying malaysian parang & golok already! :D
http://peraktoday.com/wp/?p=20222

“Pertama sekali saya belajar membuat golok… golok perak… golok perak daun buluh… itu memang Perak punya dan di Kampung Baru Changkat ni lah asal nya…golok perak daun buluh dan beberapa jenis golok di negeri Perak.

“Kalau goloknya 7 jenis golok dan parangnya 7 jenis parang yang berbagai guna dan berbagai bentuk dia…

i guess we can begin from there if you want.. that's just peninsula malaysia and we have not covered east malaysia yet.. :rolleyes:

Deleted User
Deleted User

found another defination on golok ,

"parang pendek yg matanya tirus ke hujung". :hmmm:
Quote Post Goto Top

Deleted User
Deleted User

Hi all...after some time traveling, meeting and asking locals in Borneo, I have come accept that there is no clear definition of what name for what shape of blade. A Candong from a particular location is called something else at another location.
Anyway, I was recently in Sarawak again and manage to take the picture below of a particular parang candong hand forged by the Ibans in the interior.

Posted Image

And I have to agree that it is a shame that people refer to this shape of parang as "Ray Mear's style parang'. I think in one of Mr Mear's TV episodes, he did mention that he obtained it in Borneo.

But the Ibans at this particular region near Kuching has something unique they shared with me. ALL their 'candongs' would have the same shape of handle (like above).

The Duku Panjang on the other hand has a different shape of handle, as shown in the picture below.

Posted Image

I am no expert but merely sharing my observations. The duku panjang is more for general farm use while the Candong is for heavier chopping, including hunting.

The Ilangs on the other hand to the Ibans I visited consists mostly of traditional head hunting (now ceremonial) blades. Like in the picture below: Note the shape of the handle, the slim blade and well decorated sheaths. The top blade if I remember correctly is a Nyabor.

Posted Image

I am still very keen to learn more about the traditional blades. My passion however at the moment is more of the Orang Ulu blades because of its variety and the very fact that they are still being used and made (more widely) traditionally to this very day. The Iban farmers in the village I visited not only makes the parangs themselves but their livelihood depends on them! Parangs not for sale but for use on their farms!
Quote Post Goto Top

Deleted User
Deleted User

Lots of thanks KJ, Nadir, Jay, Patik, Zach, Keong for all the inputs!
Still waiting for more inputs from other MKF members :)
Anyhow I'm so very sorry for being late in updating all the info to posting #2, 3 etc!

I thought of going to Museum Negara and take some pictures of parang and golok displayed there!
Hope I can do that this week :hmmm:

BTW, anybody knows the etymology or the words "parang" and "golok"!
I just want to know the origin of the those words either those are pure Malays or Javanese or Aceh or Bugis or Minang or Tamil or Cantonese or Arabic or Sanskrit etc etc!

pak mohd
Quote Post Goto Top

zainicmn
No Avatar
Knifeknut
[ *  *  *  * ]
So much more to learn!
All I know is if someone's bringing a parang, the usual question people ask is "Bawa parang, nak pergi menebas di mana tu?"
If bringing a golok, it's "Bawa golok, nak pergi sembelih di mana tu?".
Maybe here it's one simple perception of the tool appearance that sets it whether it's a parang or a golok.
But then again, if it's a custom candung with 6" blade, it would be niether here nor there...hmm...

cicak_cobing
Member Avatar
gilo piso
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
9w2eat

i realized that most golok from the northern states that looks like golok rembau but have a rather wide belly and at times carries the e-nep resemblance..

mohd

I thought of going to Museum Negara and take some pictures of parang and golok displayed there!
Hope I can do that this week

don't forget get some shots of traditional machetes used by orang asli tribes of peninsula malaysia if you see them there.. ;)

mohd

BTW, anybody knows the etymology or the words "parang" and "golok"!
I just want to know the origin of the those words either those are pure Malays or Javanese or Aceh or Bugis or Minang or Tamil or Cantonese or Arabic or Sanskrit etc etc!

i'm quite certain the word 'parang' originates from the melayu riau-lingga area.. as for 'golok' i'm not too sure, so i'll keep my 'theories' in the drawer.. :dorko:

zainicmn

All I know is if someone's bringing a parang, the usual question people ask is "Bawa parang, nak pergi menebas di mana tu?"
If bringing a golok, it's "Bawa golok, nak pergi sembelih di mana tu?".
Maybe here it's one simple perception of the tool appearance that sets it whether it's a parang or a golok.

that makes a lot of sense.. a parang normally has a wider tip than the base of the blade near the handle, compared to golok which is more evenly distributed from base to near tip..
my dad calls everything golok! except for those square shaped chinese cleaver, he'll call that parang.. :lolz:

nowadays people either call most parang, golok & duku as either parang, golok or duku.. :eyez: :lolz:

Pak Mohd, will you include various golok/parangs of modern bladesmith (meaning they make parang/golok of their own interpretation that does not fall to any traditional classification of parang/golok.. eg. golok bidor, A1, etc.) that are locally famous?

Deleted User
Deleted User

Greets
my clan called this type golok
Posted Image
and this type parang
Posted Image
tq
Quote Post Goto Top

Deleted User
Deleted User

Aha .. told you that it will take some times for me to post!
I'm an avid reader but a lousy writer :tooty:

Been researching and discussing with non-MKF friends about parangs and other traditional Malaysian blades!

Covers many areas especially on the classifications issue.
IMHO the standard categorizations is still not agreed yet.
Anyhow the layout is clearer.
Mostly we discovered that traditional Malaysian blades can be categorized into several blade families:

* Pisau family - pisau belati, pisau raut, pisau wali, badik, beladau, kerambit, lawi ayam, rencung, siwah, pisau jam, tumbuk lada etc.
* Keris family - keris pendek, keris panjang, keris lurus, keris lok, pekaka, tajung, sundang etc.
* Parang family - parang lading, parang candung, golok rembau, golok perak, golok kedah, parang tapik, duku, parang jenguk, parang ginah, parang belitung, sonak udang, parang bungkul, klewang etc.
* Pedang family - pedang lengkung, pedang jenawi, pedang cenangkas etc.
* Sabit family - sabit rumput, sabit kelapa, celurit etc.
* Tombak family - tombak, lembing, tekpi, cucuk, serampang, tempuling, berjang etc.
* kapak family - kapak besi, kapak batu, kapak binjai, kapak beliung etc.
* Panah family - panah, sumpit etc.

Actually at this time I'm more concern about parang family.
Anyhow I found out that some of the blades are having a problem of dual identity!
Take for example sonak udang, the large one fall under parang family but the small one fall under pisau family!
Another example klewang, some are fall under parang family but some of them fall under pedang family!
Other example is parang ginah which can be classified under parang family as well as under sabit family!
Isn't it onfusing!

One thing I noticed is that the naming of traditional blades always consist of at least two words such as pisau belati, parang lading, pedang jenawi etc.
So when it comes to a name that suppose to be consisting three words then the first word is just drop away!
And most of the time Malaysian tends to drop the first word from the name.
The very best example is parang golok!
It's called as parang golok especialy when it's actual name is not known due to multiple identity.
And the word parang is dropped when the name is clearly known such as golok rembau or golok perak.
While in case of sonak udang the word golok is dropped as well as the word parang or pisau!
Isn't it confusing!

BTW, I visited Muzium Negara on Saturday 17/9/2011.
Unluckily the traditional blades artifacts are not shown at large.
I asked one young officer about the where about of all the parangs and he told me thet they are in the store rooms :lolz:
Currently they only show few of them!
He said "Come back when we have a program to show all the traditional weapons!".
I asked him "When is that?"
He sweetly smiled "The program will be made known in the Muzium Negara website!"
No wonder most of the foreign knifeknuts who in the past toured KL never shown all those parangs etc after the visit to Muzium Negara!
All the blades are sleeping soundly in store rooms for a long long time along the years :lolz:

Kindly post more input here, dear pals all :)

pak mohd
Quote Post Goto Top

JayGoliath
Member Avatar
Knife Expert
Pak!

Plenty to read again!
I was just over Ramanon and them guys were talkin about parangs and goloks already.

Are you going to the pameran at the Museum? :lurve:

cicak_cobing
Member Avatar
gilo piso
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
mamak

Greets
my clan called this type golok

not wrong at all.. that's the way it's supposed to be.. ;)
and your clan is??

mohd

Actually at this time I'm more concern about parang family.
Anyhow I found out that some of the blades are having a problem of dual identity!
Take for example sonak udang, the large one fall under parang family but the small one fall under pisau family!
Another example klewang, some are fall under parang family but some of them fall under pedang family!
Other example is parang ginah which can be classified under parang family as well as under sabit family!
Isn't it onfusing!

very true.. but it does not apply to all.. for instance, the keris.. no matter what the size, as small as a pisau or a long as a pedang, it's still under the keris category.. while some others could be indirectly linked to one another despite the difference in its functionality in terms of size.. take kerambit and sabit as an example.. but as for klewang, i'll say it tend to fall towards the pedang side rather than the parang (with more of working tool machete in mind) side.. personally i think the (malaysian) klewang is more of the chinese broad sword category..

the main question is- what is the rule of thumb? how do you define parang/golok in a way that makes it stand out among the rest of the other category? by size? by the specific models? are they (the models) supposed to be limited to a certain length only? i've never heard of pisau rembau or pedang daun buluh.. but i may be wrong tho.. :tooty:

mohd

BTW, I visited Muzium Negara on Saturday 17/9/2011.
Unluckily the traditional blades artifacts are not shown at large.
I asked one young officer about the where about of all the parangs and he told me thet they are in the store rooms hihi.gif
Currently they only show few of them!

show us what you managed to get! :)

Deleted User
Deleted User

thank you all of you
my mamak 1M clan cant so decidedly about
duel identity problem for exp
Posted Image
this maker told me its pisau but if bigger with
similar shape he said golok perak :scratch:
the one with mid size they called it pisau lapah
lastly i bought all 3 of them. Ayo yo mamak
:lolz:
Quote Post Goto Top

Deleted User
Deleted User

mamak
Sep 28 2011, 04:57 PM
Posted Image
this maker told me its pisau but if bigger with
similar shape he said golok perak ..

Mamak, that one is a Pisau Wali or just Wali.
There are 2 types of Wali which are Wali Jantan (i.e. Male Wali) and Wali Betina (i.e. Female Wali).
And the one in the picture is a Wali Betina.

Wali Jantan is having a straighter cutting edge while Wali Betina is having a belly type of cutting edge.
And yes Mamak, there's a similarities in the design of a Wali Betina with the design of a Golok Perak.

Pisau Wali is also named as Pisau Raut (i.e. carving knife) or Siraui (i.e. Minangkabau, Sumatra).
In Borneo the small knife which accompanied Kayan's Mandau/Malat (i.e. Iban's Parang Ilang/Kenyah's Baieng) named as Pue or Langgei Puai or Penat is also in the family of Wali or Pisau Raut.
Anyhow normally Puai or Langgei Puai or Penat is having a rather long handle (i.e. ~ 8").

Among Malay in Southern Thai (i.e. Pattani, Songkhla etc) Pisau Wali is called as Meed Tok.

pak mohd
Quote Post Goto Top

Deleted User
Deleted User

Thank you Pak Mohd
For clearing the identificaton problems (golok)
otherwise it will be a long time misunderstood
i do like sharing newly parang family got today
Posted Image
its from eastern coast and the maker called it parang
Posted Image
Quote Post Goto Top

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Traditional Knives · Next Topic »
Add Reply