Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
The Pride Month Create-a-thon has now begun! Don't forget to check out Featured Fan Runs - this run really shouldn't be Lost in the Stream!
Nuzlocke Comics
Welcome to the Nuzlocke Forums. We hope you enjoy your visit. We're a community based off the popular "Nuzlocke Challenge", a way of playing the Pokémon video game series on a higher level of difficulty. What is it exactly? Join us and find that out, and more!

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Distorted World Link (a Touhoumon run); Last updated 22/09/17 (Chapter 3, Part 3)
Topic Started: Sep 22 2016, 12:37 AM (5,043 Views)
SeaMaid
Member Avatar
The one who latches on to obscure characters

A century has passed since the Java region finally got into contact with the other regions. Many of the so-called Bonéka living there - short, doll-like humanoids capable of Pokémon-like feats -migrated to the regions that would accept them, eventually carving out a niche of their own in the Hoennese culture as battlers. Among them is Diana, who just wanted to learn how to fight for self-defense, but joined a team challenging the League after the adrenaline went to her head. As Diana travels along with the team through Hoenn and gets to know them better, she comes to realise something: the one thing harder than fighting other people is fighting yourself and your past.

So, here it is. I've been planning this storylocke for years.

"But Sea, why that one hake you claim to hate so much?" To make a long story short: I decided to write this 'locke because I wanted to make something constructive out of playing a hack that's-- well, it needs a LOT of smoothing out to be enjoyable.

I love making or fooling around with others' music. It's my lifeblood. And because ZUN has been a huge influence on me for, like, half my life, I decided that nearly every update would have my takes of some of his works. As of April 1st, all current updates have the audio flash player built in! It's just the tumblr one, though, which is kinda tricky with mouse placement when you press play.
Alternatively, you can also read it on ao3 instead. Don't be afraid of commenting, the moderation is only there in case some sort of spambot rears its head.

EDIT: Seeing as some people who don't know anything about Touhou/Touhoumon are reading this, I thought I'd add some extra background info about the franchise and the hack! I'll put that beneath everything else in the update though, just so you can get to the good bits sooner.

Table of contents
The Setting

Today's music:

Prologue
A/N

If you have a tumblr and liked the BGM, consider going to the song post and liking it! Alternatively, there is also a Soundcloud upload here!

And here's the other background info!

Got any other questions? PM/comment/ask me! I might compile it all into a FAQ at some point in the future.

Fanworks?! (May contain spoilers)
[edit_reason]Updated the ToC.[/edit_reason]
Edited by SeaMaid, Jan 13 2018, 01:58 PM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

warrain
Member Avatar
Rural Go player
this is crazy. I just so happened to have followed your link from another locke and low and behold i show up only minutes after you post. creepy. I didn't understand how to go about this honestly. I knew you had music, but I thought the other link was pictures or screen captures or something.... I didn't realize I should've had the music playing while reading the prologue. well I know for future references now. that's some story already.
3DS
Posted Image

Switch
Posted Image

SeaMaid
Member Avatar

That happens, man, don't worry about it.
I went back and edited the first post so it'd be a bit clearer what the links actually do. Did it work?[edit_reason]Removed the sig.[/edit_reason]
Edited by SeaMaid, Feb 23 2017, 05:12 AM.

Tapu Lele
Member Avatar
Former Guardian Deity of NatPark

This looks great so far! Better than mine. Anyways I will keep on reading this. Also while I did not play this as much as Another World and despite some awful things happen in Another World didn't cause me to Rage Quit was because it was a bit fair under circumstances (ELilyWhite using Flash to take down ZReimu FTW, not that it is a smart strategy), I will still may have some rants about a couple of upcoming things. Though interesting that you give them their on language. On since I'm leaving this comment on your birthday (seriously the board has a thing for Birthdays on the index), so happy birthday! Also wouldn't have known you already had this if you didn't post somewhere in National Park.[edit_reason]Grammar fix and rewording[/edit_reason]
Edited by Tapu Lele, Sep 23 2016, 05:07 PM.
Posted Image
Name: Tilia
Adopt one yourself! @Pokémon Orphanage

stuff I have no room for

Some random Things

♠♣ Drymus ♦♥
Member Avatar
The Least-Famous Legend
I swear I meant to read this on Thursday...

I have to say, the music took away almost all the stress that was building up over the day. A very nice intro piece.

A nice origin story for the Puppets as well.

Good luck on the test!
Current Runs:
Processing...

Completed Runs:

SeaMaid
Member Avatar

Hey again!

Essentially, this update is an infodump about how Bonéka work differently. Plain and simple. But like I did with the backstory, rather than just dump you in person, I tried writing it as if someone in-universe did. If this practice rings any bells from a certain other 'locke, it should. If you haven't read it, I think you should give it a go once you're done here!

But first, replies!

Unfortunately, we don't get any music this time around...
In-universe source 1: "What (not) to do if your employee is a Bonéka"

A/N

Tapu Lele
Member Avatar

That was some interesting details by the Mainland. Kanto and Johto(?) are both infested with Boneka, so of course there is going to be some regulations and info about them.

Rant About Town Names
Posted Image

stuff I have no room for

Some random Things

Posted Image Pillowcase Posted Image
Member Avatar
it me @ you

huh, this sounds kinda interesting so far

i was never much into touhou myself but they were all the rage on the forums like four years ago, so i got some collateral exposure. i've only seen like two or three touhoumon storylockes so far, though, apart from this one. i like it! style's canny and quirky and i think i'll enjoy this a lot.
SPECK
(updated 17.04.18)

~ you're all invited to the official nuzlocke writing chat ~
~ adrian ramos drew all my avatars, but not on purpose ~

"It wath anger from the patht" - Today at 4:44 PM
PI L LW OW
clock (32-bit) - Today at 4:44 PM
PILLOW

SeaMaid
Member Avatar

I think I passed that test I ranted about with flying colours, so let's celebrate by FINALLY getting to chapter 1!
... Once I'm done replying to these two comments.

WARNING: Mild Fangirl Flailing inside

Well, then. With no further ado...

Today's Music:

Chapter 1, part 1: And now for someone completely "ordinary"

Author's Notes, Revealed Members & THE RULES

♠♣ Drymus ♦♥
Member Avatar
The Least-Famous Legend
I love your spin on Sakuya's theme! It seems perfect for preparing to fight the first boss of the game.

The point of view isn't off-putting at all. I think it's a nice touch, defining relationships before the introduction of the player character.

Congratulations on passing the exam!
Current Runs:
Processing...

Completed Runs:

Tapu Lele
Member Avatar

I'm trying to take a break from the forums, but I feel awkward not commenting here. I really haven't felt a bit happy as of late and more so bored or depress. And flat out unmotivated to update my own runs.

Your banner seem to show a Daiyousei has an important role.

Another Rant, This Time About Some Fights
Posted Image

stuff I have no room for

Some random Things

Posted Image Pillowcase Posted Image
Member Avatar
it me @ you

oh! well, this is honestly the only touhou storylocke i still remember the author of (apart from this one, obviously). it was pretty fun while it lasted, but it's also dead and not completed. you may be right that touhoumon players tend to do screenshot runs instead, i've seen a fair few of those.

also don't worry about it :v i'm deeply flattered 'bout the flailing and stuff, hnngh
SPECK
(updated 17.04.18)

~ you're all invited to the official nuzlocke writing chat ~
~ adrian ramos drew all my avatars, but not on purpose ~

"It wath anger from the patht" - Today at 4:44 PM
PI L LW OW
clock (32-bit) - Today at 4:44 PM
PILLOW

SeaMaid
Member Avatar

So rather than do a doublepost I decided to just edit this comment to include the update itself. I'm not 100% happy with this, I might have to polish this later, but at least it's SOMETHING.

And the replies don't need any polishing at all!

Last week'sToday's music!

Chapter 1, Part 2: Kick me while I'm down, why don't you

A/N and Members

And the obligatory link to the music's tumblr post. Like, reblog and/or comment if you want![edit_reason]Updated after the ao3 version. It was needed.[/edit_reason]
Edited by SeaMaid, Apr 7 2017, 01:30 AM.

♠♣ Drymus ♦♥
Member Avatar
The Least-Famous Legend
I guess one should be wary of sketchy boys hanging around forests selling spell cards...

Looks like it's finally time for Diana to come out of her shell, whether she wants to or not.
Current Runs:
Processing...

Completed Runs:

Tapu Lele
Member Avatar

I'm back a little sooner, but I feel a little bit better, so yeah. Ust probably needed to stay away for a bit anyways. Though didn't really help on motivation...but not that matters.

Anyways well this was a bit intense, but nice way of trying to show something mention in PSA earlier.

I;m guessing you aren't going to use the Hatsune. Though those would kind break the difficulty of a Nuzlocke, so i wouldn't blame you.

I guess it is weird to have someone from When They Cry (Not that I know much about it, in fact I know less about compare to touhou). It seems a bit one those "guilty plessure" type anime rather than something to enjoy as something actually good. I don't know though.
Posted Image

stuff I have no room for

Some random Things

SeaMaid
Member Avatar

I have returned from my unwilling weeklong hiatus, at last! Something happened to my Internet. And the problem was only solved when I "refreshed" my laptop (keeping most of my files, but deleting all programs that had required a proper installation procedure)...

But hey. Everything DWL-related was unscathed, and VBA, too.
Yeah, enough whining, on to the replies!

Unfortunately most of this is dialogue, it feels like. A quick break from all the action right before the Gym Battle, a little bit of character establishment. Buckle up.

Today's music!

Chapter 1, Part 3: Walk and Talk

A/N

And, as always, you can like and/or reblog the music from here! and maybe help me figure a title out that would be nice of you
Edited by SeaMaid, Apr 22 2017, 01:42 AM.

♠♣ Drymus ♦♥
Member Avatar
The Least-Famous Legend
Computer troubles are never fun. Good thing you didn't need to replace anything aside from some programs, I suppose...

Hmm... On the one hand, I'm glad the actual puppets aren't being used for sport by the general population. On the other hand, I wonder how close to the originals these copies are...

Natalie certainly seems to take the task seriously... I wonder if there's more to it than what we've seen already?

I've actually been looking for the name of At the End of Spring so I could hear the original for a few days... I found an arrange of it, but it had a Japanese title.

I would suggest a name, but I'm terrible at naming things...

Current Runs:
Processing...

Completed Runs:

Tapu Lele
Member Avatar

Again some nice character establishment, I mean interesting the Nat and Siri have some reason to travel together despite coming from two different backgrounds.

This is probably I issue I have my own ones, is I don't really plan at the stories to well, just go with what is on top of my head. Though I kind of hoping to change that at some point while again attempting a Y run. Of course I could redo my currents runs, if I feel like it. Your story is making trying figure at to make ways for me to be more comfortable with my own runs. Heck actually thought about bring back my Another World run because my files just magically reappeared on my computer, but an issue is that some pictures I had were permanently gone from my Google Drive, so there is that. I mean this chapter was a bit jumpy and reread some parts, but it isn't too hard to understand what is going on!

{Mature}These scenes are not for the faint of heart
Edited by Tapu Lele, Nov 3 2016, 09:10 PM.
Posted Image

stuff I have no room for

Some random Things

SeaMaid
Member Avatar

Judging by how I said I'd upload this last Thursday but I always update every other week anyway... Is this early? Is this late?? Who knows???

Anyhow, let me just get the replies out of the way...

... And then we'll get to The Gym Battle. All the boring (or not so boring) introspection afterwards will be left for later this week, though - mostly because the music wouldn't fit that at all.

Today's music!

Chapter 1, part 4: When Underground Battles Become Legal (V.S. Roxanne)

A/N

(Levelheaded's tumblr post)
Edited by SeaMaid, Apr 22 2017, 01:42 AM.

♠♣ Drymus ♦♥
Member Avatar
The Least-Famous Legend
Ha... I guess I mistyped the last letter in the username... Maybe I shouldn't have created the account at 2 am... But yes, that's my account that I pretty much forgot about until now.

Diana seems to be caught in the heat of the moment. Hopefully she grows out of that before it puts anyone in danger... It's very fortunate that Hisou Sword missed.

Sounds like Siri has a history with Ikus, or maybe even Isa herself.
Current Runs:
Processing...

Completed Runs:

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Written Story Runs · Next Topic »
Add Reply