Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
It's, uh, not a... bug. It's... a featurette.
Nuzlocke Comics
Welcome to the Nuzlocke Forums. We hope you enjoy your visit. We're a community based off the popular "Nuzlocke Challenge", a way of playing the PokÚmon video game series on a higher level of difficulty. What is it exactly? Join us and find that out, and more!

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
The Night Grows Pale: A Sun & Moon Dual Nuzlocke; Page 24: Washing up [04/16/18]
Topic Started: Sep 6 2017, 09:05 AM (4,306 Views)
zephyr_iphis
Member Avatar
Beryltree
Posted Image

The Night Grows Pale
A Sun & Moon Dual Nuzlocke

About: Dual Protagonists, one from Alola and one from Johto, embark on the Island Challenge together. When long-time internet friends Makani and Azophi finally meet in person, it feels like life is taking a turn for the better. Along with Makani's brother Hau and the mysterious runaway Lillie, the two begin on a journey full of Island Trials, personal trials, and ghosts both old and new. On the way they make friends, enemies, and frenemies with a variety of original and previously established characters. Action, humor, drama, shade, and good old-fashioned shenanigans ensue. The Night Grows Pale features a diverse cast, explores queer themes and identity, as well as the traditional nuzlocke themes of responsibility, loss and finding friends in unexpected places.

Authors: The Night Grows Pale has two authors: Beryl & Tree, who played Sun & Moon respectively on two separate cartridges. Beryl does the majority of the writing and internet stuff, so unless stated otherwise, you are probably talking to her. Tree handles most of the art so you can thank her for all the pages.

Rating: This comic is not super dark and edgy or anything, but the protagonists are 17-21, so stuff will come up. The comic will contain themes of abuse, self-loathing, violence, memes, drug references, sexual references, Nebby never getting in the bag, and colorful language.

Updates: Saturdays

Read below or on tumblr, smackjeeves, and tapas

Support us on patreon, ko-fi, or by leaving a comment below!

Characters

Table of Contents

Extras

Tree Art

Beryl Art

Commissioned Art
Edited by zephyr_iphis, Apr 15 2018, 11:38 PM.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

♠♣ SilverStrangequark ♦♥
Member Avatar
root@ssq:~$
This realistic style is incredibly unusual on PokÚmon characters, but it looks very intriguing! From the blurb, I can tell this will be a very interesting run - possibly a slice of life kind, with a sprinkle of adventure. I like stories like that. I will be following :)
Posted Image

Updates Wednesdays and Saturdays

Posted Image

Updates Sundays
Admin of: Project NuzlockeDex Posted Image Full list of nuzlocke runs: Nuzlocke Collection
One PokÚmon a week: Top 50 Challenge Posted Image Discord server: Nuzlocke Read for Read

zephyr_iphis
Member Avatar
Beryltree
SilverStrangequark
Sep 6 2017, 11:36 AM
This realistic style is incredibly unusual on PokÚmon characters, but it looks very intriguing! From the blurb, I can tell this will be a very interesting run - possibly a slice of life kind, with a sprinkle of adventure. I like stories like that. I will be following :)
Slice of life with a side of action, comedy and drama is pretty accurate, at least until the third island when the plot really starts to kick in. We really hope you enjoy it.

As a side note, I love Silver Linings! I found it on tumblr back in June and I've been following it ever since. I love your use of color and I'm just continually impressed by your output. Thank you for checking out our run!
Posted Image
Posted Image

Fascher
Member Avatar
ヽ(`v┤♪)ノ

Ooh, I'll be watching this. Good on you for going the buffer route, that's definitely a good move. The art looks super unique (and those chibis are so cute) as well, best of luck for this run!
Posted Image

zephyr_iphis
Member Avatar
Beryltree
It finally begins! A big thanks to everyone who gave this a look!

Replies

Episode 1 cover

Episode 1 page 1
Posted Image
Posted Image

Ardomew
Member Avatar
Part time artist, full time geek
I am really looking forward to seeing how this story pans out! The art looks nice and the concept just seems really fun! I'll definitely be waiting for more! :wooper:
Gary's Golden Adventure - A HeartGold Nuzlocke

Posted Image

Everybody Gets A Chance- Ardomew's X Nuzlocke
Posted ImagePosted Image

My Other Nuzlockes

zephyr_iphis
Member Avatar
Beryltree
Here's page 2 and there's some bonus art up top now if you want to take a look.

Replies

Episode 1 page 2
Posted Image
Posted Image

DistortionLocke
Member Avatar
The Introverted Pokedexer
Yay, we're getting started!
Posted Image

"Crown 3" by mjtmail (tiggy) is licensed under CC BY 4.0/Text added onto original photo

zephyr_iphis
Member Avatar
Beryltree
Replies

Episode 1 page 3
Posted Image
Posted Image

SeaMaid
Member Avatar
The one who latches on to obscure characters

hello there! been lurking around this comic since last update (so... not that long :D) and been procastinating leaving a comment since, well... I'm not sure wha to say yet! we're not far into this at all but I like what we've got going so far.

your characters are all great and I love how handsome Hau is all of a sudden, lol
looking forward to actually meeting Azophi!
Edited by SeaMaid, Oct 14 2017, 11:32 AM.
Since I rotate my avatars and don't want to remake my sig a billion times, have a collective list of sources in order.
Music Thread | SoundCloud | WritScrib

Want a storylocke of a "soul-crushing" hake along with that hobbyist music? This one's gonna come back someday I swear:
Posted Image

I'm also responsible for the one and only HarvestCraft run on these forums if you want a chill experience.
(that one's on semi-official hiatus though, sorry;;)

Flopdisc
Member Avatar

nebby's not gonna get in the bag? fucking dropped

that is a blessed Hau, I'll take 100, and Makani's slightly dorky baseball cap is slaying me. Bless these two dorks generally. <3

anyway, sorry that I didn't stop by earlier! Have been meaning to come in here to have a look since you dropped by. Awesome to see that you guys have a rock-solid schedule and really clear vision for your comic, generally! It was really nice to sift through your OP and see all of the extra content y'all have produced. Can't wait to see more and to see where Azophi has washed up!
Posted Image
Banner courtesy of Dusty!
(avatars rotate bc i am at the mercy of lilygarnet and AstroDeath)
Posted Image
My NaNoWriMo goal is 25,001 words!

Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Washi
Member Avatar
nuzvatar in training

Not sure how I missed the latest update, but eyyyy! Now I can keep track on the nuzforums. :D

I was already intrigued by the idea of a Sun/Moon dualocke, but now that I'm seeing these characters begin to come together I'm super excited to see them in action, especially having dived into their dex entries and your commissioned art in the OP. This seems like an excellent cast and I'm sure they're going to get into very exciting adventures throughout Alola. (It's going to be interesting to see where Azophi finally meets up--I'm assuming somewhere on Melemele, though if they're going to do the island challenge together I guess it doesn't really matter where they move to!)

Can't wait to see where this goes; with the way you're setting everything up in these first few pages, I'm sure this locke is going to be one worth watching. <3
Posted Image

THANK YOU GILDA FOR THE RAD BANNER <3

nuzlocke tumblr | personal tumblr | ao3 | ko-fi

Other Runs

NaNoWriMon

THE OPENING THEME BY CATAS

zephyr_iphis
Member Avatar
Beryltree
Posting this early because I realized I won't be around later. Sorry there's not much action on this page, but we both learned a lot working on it.

Replies

Episode 1 page 4
Posted Image
Posted Image

Flopdisc
Member Avatar

I'm hype as hell for tacky hats and strong calves -- Makani is a good son. I'm adopting him. Hau too.

(Sorry.)

also hhhhhhhh I love seeing behind the scenes stuff like that! If you guys have more cool snippets like that, I'd love to see them! For my part (I dabbled about where to put this but I figured here's best for clarity) I like to kinda... iterate, and go into detail about things, and I noticed that I did it so much that it was worth tracking.

so here's a thing

I imagine the sort of detail that goes into a comic script is entirely different? If you've got scripts for early pages it'd be fantastic to see them at some point down the line! I'm not an artist at all but I'm super interested in the actual process of making comics and such, so that sort of thing's always a treat.
Posted Image
Posted Image

♠♣ Cas ♦♥
Member Avatar
alola's finest
This is really good so far! I'm super excited to see how these friends meet up IRL. Looks like my little son is a bit nervous! I would be, too. Can't wait to see how this adventure goes.
Posted Image
chapter 1 - feb 21

zephyr_iphis
Member Avatar
Beryltree
Tree wanted to do the first few pages in color, but from now on the majority will be in grayscale so that we can produce them a bit faster.

Replies

Our current comic process

Episode 1 page 5
Posted Image
Posted Image

Washi
Member Avatar
nuzvatar in training

I always love seeing "behind the scenes" processes of how artists do their stuff, so this was a real treat! Your thumbnails are super clean too!!

And eyy, Machoke movers. I'll be interested to see how you treat human-Pokemon interactions in this comic; just from the little bios we already know that Rotom Dex will be featured and the part hey play in the team. For some reason I'm imagining everyone traveling in a huge group and it excites me, 'cause I love Makani and Hau already. (And since I scrolled up to check if you had specific pronouns for Rotom Dex, and happened to scroll through your commissioned art--seems that Makani is the only one wearing a Z-Ring! Not sure if that's relevant to main story or not but I'm sure interested~)
Posted Image

THANK YOU GILDA FOR THE RAD BANNER <3

nuzlocke tumblr | personal tumblr | ao3 | ko-fi

Other Runs

NaNoWriMon

THE OPENING THEME BY CATAS

🌏 YamiX 🌏
Member Avatar

Oh my god! The Queen references! I haven't even started reading and I've got a few of them. The Night Comes Down is like this title. The cover being the Sheer Heart Attack album's cover. The first chapter is Now I'm Here... I'm going to love this I can tell.

I love the art! This is going to be good. Good luck!
Yami's Kalos Extravaganza
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Claude--------Ashley--------Wanda--------Xander--------Po--------Liam
A Whole New Dimension

Completed Runs in the Series

Side Runs

Flopdisc
Member Avatar

Oh! I'm here for greyscale! Reminds me of reading manga growing up, haha.

Love the back-and-forth in the script notes and yeah, as Washi says, the interaction between humans and pokemon in this world looks like it's something you're interested in exploring! I mean-- gosh, that sounds so generic-- but this Machoke is dressed and all! There's a bunch of interesting implications just in that tidbit.

Makani doing the ALOLA wave is killing me. Precious boy. ;~;

EDIT: dskjhf I almost forgot ENTIRELY to indicate just how much I loved your process notes and progress stuff! It was hella interesting to see! I am 120% here for any supplementary content you're interested in posting, and thanks for putting it all together!
Edited by Flopdisc, Oct 28 2017, 04:28 PM.
Posted Image
Posted Image

☂️ shakyskunk ☂️
Member Avatar
Conqueror of the Cinnabar Gym
All the effort put into the pages really shows!

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Comic Runs · Next Topic »
Add Reply