Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Happy Lunar New Year! The feature team has a few gifts for you!
Nuzlocke Comics
Welcome to the Nuzlocke Forums. We hope you enjoy your visit. We're a community based off the popular "Nuzlocke Challenge", a way of playing the Pokémon video game series on a higher level of difficulty. What is it exactly? Join us and find that out, and more!

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
1 Nuzlocke, 7 Regions; How to tie together all the games for one Mega Nuzlocke?
Topic Started: Oct 12 2017, 07:57 PM (845 Views)
Foren Magra
Member Avatar
The Pyromancer
So I have been trying to figure out how I could do a Nuzlocke that involves all 7 regions (originally 6, but you know, Sun and Moon, which I pretend doesn't exist half the time)

So how would you suggest progressing these to go through all of the regions (not necessarily a new game for each) without making the subsequent Nuzlockes easier due to having your previous team. So far, I was thinking:

Progression:
1.SoulSilver for Johto
2.Diamond for Sinnoh
3.Back to SoulSilver for Kanto
4. Gen 5 game for Unova. I have to buy it, so I don't know which yet, but thinking white or black 2 is better for hard mode.
5.Y for Kalos
6.Alpha Sapphire for Hoenn
7.Sun for Alola

Special rules to try and keep Nuzlocke challenge while allowing previous teams.

1. To enter a different region, a Pokémon must have the Champion medal for another region.
2. A Pokémon can only be used in another region if:
A. It is a lower level than the next gym leader/champion
B. Is lower level than a native Pokémon being replaced
or C. Is being used for a rematch where the Elite 4 are upgraded.

Progression for bosses would be:
Johto League
Diamond League
Red and Johto League Rematch (in either order)
Unova League
Unova League Rematch
Kalos League
Hoenn League
Hoenn League Rematch
Alola League
Alola League Rematch

The progression seems pretty nice, except Alola at the end.

-So, any tips on what might make this work, or any other obstacles I should be looking out for? Obviously for Unova I need two Unova games or to do the entire Unova Nuzlocke without previous Pokemon, then the rematch can have previous Pokemon.

-Any tips on how this might be able to be a little more integrated, instead of just extra Elite 4s being the only place previous team members likely can be used?
Edit:-Maybe I'll try something along the lines of linking Pokémon from the same route. You know, Route 1 in Kanto, Route 101 in Hoenn, route 201 in Sinnoh, etc. Basically, past the first Nuzlocke, every route I flip a coin for each other corresponding location on a previous game. If tails, that Pokemon doesn't come over (exception for previous main team members, who only need to link to come over earlier than the rematch, and if linked, are not usable until they meet previous level requirements. At the rematch battle, they are no longer linked. Previous core team members are recognized by their presence in a major battle, as listed above. If they became a core member due to a link, they are permanently linked to that Pokemon.) if heads, I can use it in addition to that route's catch, but if one dies the other one immediately dies also. If I use the Pokemon from a previous game, I also have to use its link and all Pokemon linked to it. Adds more risk, since it does essentially give me free catches. Exceptions can also be made when not possible, like my current predicament with Unova. I've been dying to find a reason to be able to use end game gifts in a Nuzlocke also, like the starters in hg/ss, Beldum in ORAS, the shiny gible/dratini, etc. So maybe I can use some form of this rule to link those over also? Maybe start them at the beginning of the next available region, but make them kill the whole team they are on if they die (at the end of battle)? Still ironing this out, but I like how this ties together all the Nuzlockes.

-Tips on how to not change the difficulty curve by adding an additional pool of Pokemon to the later parts of the run?

I know it is a fairly complex run I want to do, but any help smoothing out the details before I start would be great. I am more than willing to give any additional details that might be helpful.[edit_reason]Added an idea,of my own to tie this all together.[/edit_reason]
Edited by Foren Magra, Oct 14 2017, 12:17 AM.
Foren Magra, "The Pyromancer"

Complete Runs

Current Runs

I am a... (because its everywhere and why not, its probably not accurate anyway)
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Posted ImageXerxosPosted Image
Member Avatar
xerx gon give it to ya
[AUTOMATED] Hello! I've moved your thread to Ruleset Discussion, as it describes an alternative ruleset (rather than a discussion of the challenge itself).
Project Menu
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

New to the forum and not sure how things work? Need a thread moved or a poll taken down? Having a rough time with your Nuzlocke run and need help? PM me!

Emperor ServingSpoon
Member Avatar
The original AND the 16th!
How about this:
If you want to trade any Pokemon you like into the current game, then you must give up two of the catches you've made in that game (and it can only be used if its at the appropriate level). Those two Pokemon are then removed from your pool of Pokemon permanently. Perhaps you'd want to consider increasing the number of Pokemon to sacrifice (or requiring them to be Pokemon of similar level to the one coming in) the further along in the game you get, too (like three after you have four badges and four after you get seven), just to keep the element of sacrifice meaningful when you have a decent number of Pokemon later in the game.
After you become the Champion in any game, you can trade any members of your previous Hall of Fame teams with any member of your current Hall of Fame team. This swap can only go one way for the current game, but both Pokemon will still be part of the pool of Pokemon that can be swapped into any future games.

This way, you'd be unwise to swap the wrong thing in too early, and swapping anything in early on reduces your pool of Pokemon. But anything you've used in the past is able to be used again eventually, without having a team of 12 or more competent Pokemon that you can freely swap in our out to trivialise the end game. You'll need to be certain that you won't need the Pokemon you'll be swapping out and that you will need the Pokemon you'll be swapping in, and you can't just trade off some Pokemon you were never going to use for something that was a core member of a previous team (which would barely even count as a sacrifice).
Current Run

Completed Runs

Foren Magra
Member Avatar
The Pyromancer
Thank you Emperor ServingSpoon. At first, I'll be honest, I didn't like this idea, because I value all my extra catches highly enough I probably wouldn't integrate. However, after further consideration, I think I may use your idea for Kanto, Johto, and Sinnoh interactions, because:
A. Links are a lot lower risk here
B. To use a Pokémon on Soul Silver or Diamond from the other game, I need to trade. If I don't want to catch extra Pokémon to achieve this, I have to trade the Pokémon between two games, so Pokémon that leave their region early being permanently unusable makes sense.

Plus, once it get to the later runs where I don't plan on using this rule, links are more team constraining. This rule also makes it so I have less Pokémon to use way down the road. If used in conjunction with links, it also means that I can't trade a linked Pokémon to get a Pokémon it is linked to, because they both die! Could be very interesting, and I feel like I am very close to or at what I need to be able to fully integrate the seven regions of Pokemon. Thank you!

Complete Runs

Current Runs

I am a... (because its everywhere and why not, its probably not accurate anyway)

Emperor ServingSpoon
Member Avatar
The original AND the 16th!
That's fine. Do it however you like. I was just thinking of it in an Ash Ketchum-like manner, with a heavy preference for an all new team in each region, but the old stuff can come back for the post-League time. Personally, I don't like the thought of a single death in one game meaning an additional 6 deaths for Pokemon that I made no mistakes with (and if Alola's your last region, I hope you're letting yourself overlevel in that case, because that could eliminate some essential counters before you even get them! And losing in the final run due to mistakes in earlier runs would make the whole thing feel like quite a waste of time to me...). The different number of routes and areas in each game may make finding equivalent links annoying, too. But yeah. Do what you like. It's your run!
Current Run

Completed Runs

Foren Magra
Member Avatar
The Pyromancer
Yeah, I do want to favor new teams than just using old ones. I may not have mentioned this, but I don't need to use the linked Pokémon if I am using the native Pokemon t the game. Only if I decide to use a Pokemon that didn't come from that game do I have to use all of the Pokemon linked to it. Your input has been really useful!

Complete Runs

Current Runs

Potterjr
Member Avatar
Conqueror of the Cerulean Gym
At the end of 1 game, make some plot reason why you cant just migrate. Then take 2 pokemon from your final team, breed them with a ditto or another of their kind, and migrate the babies to the next game. Trash your starter from game 2+; the migrants are your starters.

Ryua
Member Avatar
Conqueror of the Saffron Gym
It has been ages since I played Soulsilver, but I seem to recall the Kanto badges being fully high-level (As in Brock's Onix isn't 12, it's 52 for instance). Will you continue with your Johto team, or do a LOT of grinding?
Posted Image
Halfblood

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Ruleset Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply