Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
It's, uh, not a... bug. It's... a featurette.
Nuzlocke Comics
Welcome to the Nuzlocke Forums. We hope you enjoy your visit. We're a community based off the popular "Nuzlocke Challenge", a way of playing the PokÚmon video game series on a higher level of difficulty. What is it exactly? Join us and find that out, and more!

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
If Heads, Opponent is Paralyzed!; In which I play the original Pokemon Trading Card Game - Status: Finally done with Rock Club
Topic Started: Dec 6 2017, 01:43 PM (1,425 Views)
Maryeeo
Member Avatar
I would like to buy a damburgher
Posted Image

Ah yes.

Posted Image

Lovely.

Posted Image

The good ol' times.

Posted Image

Okay, not a single soul scrolling through this topic was unaware of the fact that I'm gonna play the Pokemon TCG game. Still, I felt it was necessary to put these screenshots in, to set the mood. Also I quite liked the intro.

Anyway. Hey, everyone! I'm Maryeeo, new member 'round here and all. I've been lurking for some time now, trying to look for the best opportunity to put up my first own run. I originally wanted it to be a nuzlocke, but hey, what can you do. I haven't seen a lot of playthroughs of this game on the forum yet, if any at all, so there's that too. As a side note, I've never really been into the Pokemon Trading Card Game, nor have I actually ever really played it. Despite that I used to have a good amount of Pokemon cards at home, especially from generations I and III, as well as having basic knowledge of the rules, but that's as far as I go. Moreover, I have never played this video game before in my life. So I'm basically going in blind, without too much knowledge of the game. Oh, and I'm also gonna have to ask each and every one of you to not spoil anything of the story (not that I'm expecting much of it), Pokemon cards I haven't encountered yet, or decks characters use, unless I specifically ask for your help. I doubt that's going to happen anytime soon, but putting that out there just in case.

Ain't we gonna have some fun here.

And of course, it wouldn't be a real nuzlocke forum run if I didn't put some restrictions on myself.

Rules

Stash

And with that, time for takeoff into the crazy world of coinflips!

Because, as far as I can remember, that's totally gonna be a thing. The smile of RNGesus will probably be the only thing to keep me alive during this run.

The world of Pokemon...cards?
Edited by Maryeeo, Dec 16 2017, 02:27 PM.
Current runs
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

☂️ pokedexdan ☂️
Member Avatar
Lover of Flying types and Megainium
Gotta say. Fun game! Boring as hell tutorial though.
The rules are interesting though. Hopefully you get some good cards in this!

Ya got my support! Good luck!
When in doubt bring out the nidoking! http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/randombattle-146954862 Soloed someone with a arbok!! :D

Completed runs

Current runs

WHY DO WE NOT HAVE MEGA VEGETA?!?!

Posted Image[/url]

I'm a mew....Ok then..

Posted ImageClockensteinPosted Image
Member Avatar
you can see my soul from here

SOMEONE SAY CARD GAMES

Okay, but like I actually played the TCG Virtual Console release until there was nothing left of it to play so I can vouch that it's at least fun when you're not screaming about the Science Club landing lucky paralyze procs over and over. So you already had me at the title.

When I started out, too, I picked the Bulbasaur deck, but that was because I was unknowing and new, but alas. Maybe I'm just biased towards the Squirtle deck now because I honestly love decks with Articuno in them to death so, like, y'know. Anyway I'm stoked to see more people doing TCG LPs in this forum so I'll be following this one!

edit: oh, and actually:

Quote:

That may sound funny, but I assure you that there is some guy in the Yu-Gi-Oh universe that has a PhD in dueling.
Posted Image

i heard someone was talkin' shit about my phd

Posted Image

avatar credit: hunghang flashbacks || silicon lines banner by shiny dustox

current projects: silicon lines || anomaly || overdone cardboard

previous runs
Neal Stephenson

That's exactly the problem. Ninety-nine percent of everything that goes on in most Christian churches has nothing whatsoever to do with the actual religion. Intelligent people all notice this sooner or later, and they conclude that the entire one hundred percent is bullshit, which is why atheism is connected with being intelligent in people's minds.

Maryeeo
Member Avatar
Replies

2: Battle preparations
Edited by Maryeeo, Dec 7 2017, 01:38 PM.
Current runs

☂️ pokedexdan ☂️
Member Avatar
Lover of Flying types and Megainium
Gotta say. Loved the analysis of every card there. Made me realize why I sucked so much with this game back in the day.

Honestly. I didn't realize Jigglypuff was that good. Pretty nice. Gotta say.

Hope the grinding goes well for you! You're gonna want all the energy you can get.
When in doubt bring out the nidoking! http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/randombattle-146954862 Soloed someone with a arbok!! :D

Completed runs

Current runs

WHY DO WE NOT HAVE MEGA VEGETA?!?!

Posted Image[/url]

I'm a mew....Ok then..

Spark Plasma
Member Avatar
blorb
Wow, I haven't played this game in a long time. This was a blast, too bad we never got the sequel.

Nice job with the analysis. Yes, Base Set Dewgong was an absolute beast. As for Gastly and Haunter, well... let's just they were reprinted for a reason. And no, it isn't just you: Bill and Professor Oak were insanely broken at the time. As for Venusaur's Power, if I remember correctly, it was often paired up with Charizard. Charizard's attack does 100 damage for 4 Fire energy, and you have to discard 2 afterwards. However, it's Pokemon Power turns all Energies on it into Fire, so you could keep a steady amount of energies on it with Energy Trans. Pretty costly all around, but it is what it is. (shit, is this a spoiler? Sorry in advance if it is.)

Anyway, good luck with this!
Edited by Spark Plasma, Dec 7 2017, 11:28 PM.
Ongoing:
League of Nations: A Blind Nuzlocke of Pokemon Glazed
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Chemical Burns: A Poison Monolocke of Fire Red Omega[/big
Event Runs
Completed Nuzlockes:

☂️ RubyClaw ☂️
Member Avatar
Challenge seeker
Ah, childhood memories of playing the real TCG...

I never finished the gameboy game though so can't wait to see how this goes. A really cool idea for a nuzlocke/playthrough by the way.
Posted Image
My quest to Nuzlocke every game - Come see my Hall of Fame!
Generation 1: Blue, Yellow
Generation 2: Gold, Silver, Crystal
Generation 3: Ruby, Emerald, LeafGreen, FireRed
Generation 4: Diamond, SoulSilver
Generation 5: Black Black 2
Generation 6: X

Completed Recorded Runs

kururu-chan
Member Avatar
shsl ivalice | kururu-chan

This is pretty interesting! I'm pretty interested in seeing how your deck and playstyle grows - this was actually the first Pokemon game I played, but never owned.

♠♣ Mattman324 ♦♥
Member Avatar
COME ON AND SLAM! AND WELCOME TO THE JAM
Electabuzz and Hitmonchan were two of the original Haymakers, part of the best deck in the early days. Yes, they're pretty damn amazing. The SD/Slash Scyther and the Magmar with Fire Punch are the others.

Also every deck should have a full four Bills and at least two/three Professor Oaks, yes.
In Which Mattman324 Tries for 100% Completion of: Pokemon Conquest
FAKEMON VS NAZIS, BAD HACK BOOGALOO: Pokemon Zaru
KOROSU KOROSU KOROSU KOROSU (The sequel to Pokemon Outlaw)

29 Perfect nuzlockes. 142 caught in one of them. SAIKYOU NO NUZLOCKER

My most recent one? An event run!

lisalo
No Avatar
Conqueror of the Celadon Gym
Are you gonna go for the optional cards (the trade ones)?
http://s7.zetaboards.com/Nuzlocke_Forum/topic/8958008/1/#new

Dagsire
Member Avatar
On the internet, no one knows you're a quag.
Bonus tip: Chatting up Sam again and picking "Normal Duel" will allow you to run through the practice duel again, without Mason's handholding. All of the cards and draws are identical, but you can play the duel out however you like or just retrace the steps you took from the tutorial (all coinflips are heads in the tutorial). The prize is also a booster filled with energy cards. Dueling Sam and Aaron are the only ways to get all the energy boosters you need.

Also, this game is really fun and I hope you enjoy it. The sequel to this game got a decent translation patch and it's loads better, something to look forward to once you're done here.
Edited by Dagsire, Dec 8 2017, 06:00 PM.
Current Runs:
Posted ImagePosted Image
Blind Prism: The Storylocke (Chapter 3: Patient) {Banner by Dusty!}Gotta Catch 'Em All! The Quest to Obtain a Living Pokedex OA (Progress: 461/949+ <48.58%>) [Current Game: Platinum] {Banner by Dusty!}
Posted Image
???
Rhymes with Ike: FE9 and FE10 All Girls Run OA (FE9: Chapter 23) *Oh no! (By Cas)???

Previous Runs
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Maryeeo
Member Avatar
Before we start, two quick things I want to mention.

One, after playing through this part, I've decided to change my ruleset a bit. I will only be allowed to challenge a club master after beating all the regular club members from the next post onwards.

Two, from here on out I'll put my current entire stash in the first post, and will try to keep it updated with every part I put up. Apologies if I sometimes forget, though.

And with that out of the way, replies!

Replies

The Rock Club, part one

The Rock Club, part two
Edited by Maryeeo, Dec 9 2017, 07:21 AM.
Current runs

Brotoman
Member Avatar
Hope Rides Sloooow
You'd think as a Mascot character Pikachu would have a less terrible card.
Tame the Unkown [Digimon World DS Randomlocke]

kururu-chan
Member Avatar
shsl ivalice | kururu-chan

Fun fact about Vulpix - in the Base Set, it was listed as HP 50 instead of 50 HP at the top of it. It was one of the most common error cards, and was only corrected in late reprints around 2000!

Dagsire
Member Avatar
On the internet, no one knows you're a quag.
A few spoilers! Other Club masters have certain restrictions on fighting them. Lemme think...

I'd talk to the Fighting club guy sooner rather than later. You have to defeat all of his underlings first, and they're spread out among all the various clubs.

Fire Club demands you have more than a certain number of cards in your collection, and the Psychic club wants you to have at least 4 medals I think, so save them both for later. For the rest of them, their gimmicks are self contained, and the Rock club is the only one where the clubmaster lets you just walk right up to them. Gene's a cool guy like that.
Current Runs:
Posted ImagePosted Image
Blind Prism: The Storylocke (Chapter 3: Patient) {Banner by Dusty!}Gotta Catch 'Em All! The Quest to Obtain a Living Pokedex OA (Progress: 461/949+ <48.58%>) [Current Game: Platinum] {Banner by Dusty!}
Posted Image
???
Rhymes with Ike: FE9 and FE10 All Girls Run OA (FE9: Chapter 23) *Oh no! (By Cas)???

Previous Runs
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Maryeeo
Member Avatar
Replies

The Rock Club, part three: vs Rock Club member Ryan?
Current runs

Brotoman
Member Avatar
Hope Rides Sloooow
The bane of all card game players. The brick hand.
Tame the Unkown [Digimon World DS Randomlocke]

♠♣ Mattman324 ♦♥
Member Avatar
COME ON AND SLAM! AND WELCOME TO THE JAM
"Haymaker" was the original big tournament deck. It relied on powerful support cards and a bunch of non-evolving Pokemon with decent power. It preyed on greedy players who didn't understand that evolutions are essentially all shit unless they're 100% bullshit tier broken or have a great engine backing them up -Seriously, don't run many evolutions outside of Blastoise and DO THE WAVE Wigglytuff. They aren't worth it. - and relied on how absolutely and utterly bullshit Supporter cards are.

If you played Yugioh when it originally came out, Haymaker is the equivalent of the beatdown deck that was the only competitive deck for like three years, if with a much less long shelf life.

Kabuto, hilariously enough, has an extremely important role in one of the more hilarious decks in this game. You can only form it after beating the E4 equivalent once or twice, it only works because of the dumb mulligan rules this game runs on, and Kabuto's only there to ensure the deck isn't blanked by Mr. Mime being a fucking asshole (you'll see...), but when you make it, it works out hilariously well.

EDIT: oh yeah, also - Selfdestruct will look better if you know that it works with Defender to allow you to live the SD.
Edited by Mattman324, Dec 14 2017, 11:58 PM.
In Which Mattman324 Tries for 100% Completion of: Pokemon Conquest
FAKEMON VS NAZIS, BAD HACK BOOGALOO: Pokemon Zaru
KOROSU KOROSU KOROSU KOROSU (The sequel to Pokemon Outlaw)

29 Perfect nuzlockes. 142 caught in one of them. SAIKYOU NO NUZLOCKER

My most recent one? An event run!

Spark Plasma
Member Avatar
blorb
Oof, that was a pretty rough round against Ryan. At least you got some pretty nice cards from the packs.
Ongoing:
League of Nations: A Blind Nuzlocke of Pokemon Glazed

Chemical Burns: A Poison Monolocke of Fire Red Omega[/big
Event Runs
Completed Nuzlockes:

Maryeeo
Member Avatar
Replies

The Rock Club, part four

The Rock Club, part five
Edited by Maryeeo, Dec 16 2017, 02:14 PM.
Current runs

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Other Adventures · Next Topic »
Add Reply