Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Featurettes are back!
Nuzlocke Comics
Welcome to the Nuzlocke Forums. We hope you enjoy your visit. We're a community based off the popular "Nuzlocke Challenge", a way of playing the Pokémon video game series on a higher level of difficulty. What is it exactly? Join us and find that out, and more!

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Being bored in a Nuzlocke
Topic Started: Dec 25 2017, 04:55 AM (1,000 Views)
Shenili2
Member Avatar
Conqueror of the Vermillion Gym
Ok, maybe it's just me, who can't do the same thing for a longer period of time, but I sometimes just get bored mid-run and stop playing the game.. Does this ever happen to anyone else? What do you do to stop it? Do you have a small hiatus or not play the game altogether..?
Maybe it's because I suck at Nuzlockes and end up ragequitting..? What do you do if that happens?
Nuzlocke checklist:
Completed Runs:
Failed Runs:
I'd like to apologize to everyone reading my stuff, I usually can't sustain my lockes for a long period of time, usually due to IRL stuff, I'm sorry :c
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

outloux
Member Avatar
outloux the outlaw
Well, maybe you're getting burnt out. Are you getting bored grinding or facing trainers?
Current Stories:
Mark of Yveltal
a pokémon y storylocke

Sir Cottonee
Member Avatar
and i say go go GO
It happens. This game is awfully repetitive, after all. I'd try to spread out your time and not play too much in one sitting, and in your case it's probably best to take a hiatus (or quit, if it's really that bad). General ways that might make the experience more exciting is to make interesting rulesets (e.g. monobug, no evolution, wedlocke, wonderlocke), or dip into randomized runs/romhacks if you're emulating. That, and documenting runs! Your gainlocke looks pretty cool, and it only ended due to some bad circumstances... maybe try something like that again?
Posted Image Posted Image Posted ImagePosted Image

recent updates: (05/13/2018) Turn 1 of Make it Rain, Man! is out! Uh... it's got cards! Yeah.
______________(12/11/2017) Chapter 1.5 of STATIC is out! The gang explores a store and the unbearable lightness of sitting. It's great.
______________(04/15/2018) Chapter 5 of It's the Water, Baby! is out. Joe hates the beach.

successful runs
dead runs
extras

Kirimiya
Member Avatar
Stream of consciousness

Yeah, it can be tough to keep playing the same game so much, whether it's hours of continuous play or multiple playthroughs without much different happening. I'm seconding randomizers since they can definitely spice things up and offer a unique challenge every time, especially with all the different aspects of the game you can change.
It's a tying streak
It's a moment of victory
It's a loss, unlike any you've felt before,
And it lasts a lifetime

sir wallaby
Member Avatar
Professional nuzlocker should be a job
I've been training for fire reds elite four for two years and I still haven't beaten it. They only need a few levels. It usually takes me anywhere between a few months to a year to beat a nuzlocke, and I'm usually nuzlocking every available game at the same time. I just switch between which ones I train for. (So right now I'm nuzzing hg ss fr LG, pearl, plat, blue, yellow, emerald, ruby, gold, silver, moon, sun, us, um, black, white 2 and white 2, or, and x and y.) So whenever I get bored enough of training I move over to another game for a bit or another, until I eventually come back, and at some point go through a good amount of the game before I switch and get pretty far. (In alola I tend to lag around Paniola ranch/akala island.)
I also constantly have new nuz ideas I gotta play and that's part of why I have so many nuzlockes as well. (Leaf green was bought for the sole reason of I wanted to play through gen 3 Kanto again and I was gonna do a poison monolocke I wasn't going to document.)
I get really bored when it comes to training pokemon up a lot of levels basically.

Posted Image

Posted Image

MORE BANNERS (THAT ARE OLD) MORE COMIC RUNS TO ENJOY. PEARL AND YELLOW BE DOWN HEREE

ariala36
Member Avatar
Conqueror of the Pewter Gym
I get bored and quit 99% of the Pokemon challenges I start. ^^;;; I actually had so little motivation over the past year that I only recently completed Sun for the first time a few days ago. Could be that you're burnt out? Pokemon can get pretty repetitive, so I wouldn't blame you there. I say leave it alone for a while, maybe play something else, and then come back to it when you feel more refreshed. :)

MARION
Member Avatar

Unless you're grinding at a level far below that of your team, disinterested grinding is the root of decay in any Nuzlocke, as I've noticed that's when Pokémon deaths are most likely to happen.

Great Moonstar
Member Avatar
I should really go outside sometimes.

When I had just started doing challenges, ragequitting was something I did a LOT. Got an uninteresting set of pokemon? My favorite team member died? I didn't get the pokemon I really wanted on a certain route? The first death of any pokemon? Time to reset. But then I realized I wasn't having fun with the challenge anymore. Isn't it supposed to be a bit frustrating so you are even more determined to finish it?
The funny thing is that unlike many people I actually enjoy grinding, because it's so repetitive and mindless I can just put some kickass background music and do it for hours. Then again, I use emulators, so that may be why it's tolerable.
If I get truly bored with a challenge, I just leave it there for a few days, play other games, and usually I come back refreshed and looking forward to playing it again.
I hope you get over this problem, sorry if this wasn't very informative!
- Strive for excellence and inspire those who don't -
Posted Image
Latest update: 01/13
Things a site says I am

Mr Spaz
Member Avatar
I caught the big- OH SHIT
With grinding, especially for a lot of levels, I'll train 1 Pokemon at a time, but before that, I'll look up how much experience I need to get to the level I'm trying to grind to. I end up subtracting from that number each time the Pokemon I'm grinding gains experience, and I take a break after a set amount of experience (usually around 5-10 thousand, depending on how much experience the wild Pokemon give). It tends to go by quicker for me that way and it gives me a timetable of how much longer I'll be grinding.
My Nuzlocke
I've done literally nothing else here, so that's all.

Kyle1717
Member Avatar
Conqueror of the Cinnabar Gym
In general, my personal philosophy to prevent boredom is to try to play only one Pokemon game at a time. I really like how speedrunners make an effort to "master" a game - they always know which Pokemon to catch, how to beat each boss, where to go and when. Obviously Nuzlocking is way more slow-paced than speedrunning, but either way it's like playing Chess on steroids. I have a lot of fun even just thinking about how my Nuzlocke is going. In some cases I spend more time strategizing and planning out each Nuzlocke than actually playing the game itself.

Granted, the grinding can be a pain in some games, but thankfully in BW onwards grinding isn't as big of a deal since you receive the Lucky Egg and/or universal Exp Share. HGSS is my personal favorite Pokemon game in general, but I will admit I've had a lot of HGSS Nuzlockes that have just fizzled out just because of all the grinding required.
Posted Image

Kirimiya
Member Avatar
Stream of consciousness

Kyle1717
Jan 13 2018, 01:41 AM
In general, my personal philosophy to prevent boredom is to try to play only one Pokemon game at a time. I really like how speedrunners make an effort to "master" a game - they always know which Pokemon to catch, how to beat each boss, where to go and when. Obviously Nuzlocking is way more slow-paced than speedrunning, but either way it's like playing Chess on steroids. I have a lot of fun even just thinking about how my Nuzlocke is going. In some cases I spend more time strategizing and planning out each Nuzlocke than actually playing the game itself.
I've done the same thing! I did several runs in a row of Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, and Unova, and I still know the first three like the back of my hand. I can't possibly overstate the value of knowing what enemies are coming up next at any given moment, and that knowledge makes it that much more enjoyable to play the games (especially with randomized encounters). It also makes me that much more cautious in my blind runs of new games, and I'd say three out of three runs completed deathless (Y, Moon, and Ultra Sun) reflect that.
It's a tying streak
It's a moment of victory
It's a loss, unlike any you've felt before,
And it lasts a lifetime

RadiantBeam
Member Avatar
Conqueror of the Pewter Gym
I recently dropped my X nuzlocke out of a combination of boredom and general disinterest in the story/characters. I got as far as defeating Lysandre and capturing the legendary before it happened at least, but I felt no need to keep going after that. I just took a break and went into a game that I really liked, and I'm enjoying it far more.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Challenge Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply