Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Sit down for some tea, and the featurers will find a run that's a match for you!
Nuzlocke Comics
Welcome to the Nuzlocke Forums. We hope you enjoy your visit. We're a community based off the popular "Nuzlocke Challenge", a way of playing the PokÚmon video game series on a higher level of difficulty. What is it exactly? Join us and find that out, and more!

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
[FINISHED]Red Sapphires and Blue Rubies (Ruby-Part 10, Sora-Part 10) - The run is over, Sora won!; A Casual Checkpoints Cagelocke of Sapphire and Ruby by RubyClaw and Sora the Blue Man
Topic Started: Jan 1 2018, 12:48 PM (5,057 Views)
🌠 RubyClaw 🌠
Member Avatar
Challenge seeker
Welcome everybody to RubyClaw's and Sora the Blue Man's Cagelocke!

A little general background first: Me and Sora have been doing Soul Lockes together for the last few months and after failing twice yet having a blast, we have decided it is time to try something new - a Cagelocke. And while we ae doing it, we might as well post it.

A Cagelocke for those of you who do not know, is Nuzlocke variant in which two player compete with each other while completing a Nuzlocke run, by doing "cage matches" after every gym. (Credit for variant - the awesome aDrive).

I call this run a "Casual Checkpoints Cagelocke" as we will be updating on our own free time with no specific schedule, everything here will be in good spirit (and surviving the Nuzlocke itself will be quite a challenge as is, even without the cage matches part, so we are both "in this together"), and because we will be using a "checkpoints system" instead of playing live as we have a 7 hour difference between us. This means that we will each post separate updates up to the next checkpoint, and we will only be allowed to continue playing after our partner posts his update for that checkpoint as well. There is no order in which we need to post between us, and whoever finishes first can post his current update.

We will each post from checkpoint to checkpoint a short log about our progress. In the log we must show all our catches (including boring sea routes ones), all the mons we lost, and our current team status and their levels at the end of the checkpoint. Other than that it is up to each of us to show or report whatever feels right about our game experience along the run. This will not be a story run, but will instead focus on our individual gameplay experiences, general Nuzlocke thoughts, and thoughts about the Cagelocke (trying to guess our opponent's strategies for example).

The Cage matches themselves will be performed using Pokemon Showdown. Hopefully we could both show you a recording of our battles and invite you live to watch them (battle hours are still unclear and will probably change from match to match as we will have to find a time when we are both awake and online of course). I'm not really good at this technical stuff so I'll leave that up to my buddy Sora here.

The Rules

Here are the checkpoints we chose and will be following

Level caps - based on UCL

RubyClaw's Log - Red Sapphires

Sora the Blue Man's Log - Blue Rubies

Cage Match Results

We'll be playing Sapphire and Ruby! Me being RubyClaw, will of course be playing Sapphire, while Sora the Blue Man will be playing Ruby.

I'll have my first update posted later this week hopefully so Sora will probably get there before me, stay tuned.

Hope you guys will enjoy. Questions, suggestions, tips and just commented in general are all very much welcomed!
Edited by RubyClaw, Feb 6 2018, 03:17 PM.
Posted ImagePosted Image

My quest to Nuzlocke every game - Come see my Hall of Fame!
Generation 1: Blue, Yellow
Generation 2: Gold, Silver, Crystal
Generation 3: Ruby, Sapphire, Emerald, LeafGreen, FireRed
Generation 4: Diamond, Pearl, SoulSilver
Generation 5: Black Black 2
Generation 6: X

Completed Recorded Runs
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Inaria
Member Avatar
Unleash the Storms
Nice, can't wait to see the competition between the two of you.
Good Luck in the run(s), and may RNG be on both sides!
I am...
Posted Image
Lost and confused...
Posted Image
The hottest Reality TV show in Kanto!
This run will be restarted/continued at some point.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Great Moonstar
Member Avatar
I should really go outside sometimes.

This sounds very cool, never heard of this nuzlocke variant before!
I wish both of you good luck, this will be a fun challenge to see unfold.
- Strive for excellence and inspire those who don't -
Posted Image
Latest update: 01/13
Things a site says I am

phoenixacezero
Member Avatar
zen hero infinity
Professor Xion: place yo berries people on who gonna win.

🌠 Sora the Blue man 🌠
Member Avatar
The Hanged Thief,Diath Woodrow
Spoiler: click to toggle

Part 1 of Blue Rubies
[/center]
REMEMBER WHO YOU ARE

Geo
Member Avatar
Champion of the Nuzlocke Games

Love a good bit of friendly competition!

In terms of technical advice for the Showdown battles, there are a couple of things you could potentially do.
  • The first and most straight forward one is to program your Pokemon in at their actual in-game levels, and then change their IVs/EVs until they match what you have in-game. After this, you can either keep your levels the same as they are in-game (makes things like Dragon Rage or Sonicboom have effects similar to what they would normally have at that stage of the game) or scale them up to level 50 as you originally planned (your stats will then adjust accordingly). This isn't an exact method, since at lower levels there will be a range of IVs/EVs that are valid for your stats and when scaled to level 50 these could potentially mean a few extra points in some stats, but it's nothing ground breaking at least.
  • The other option is more accurate, but also more technical. If you load your .sav file in a save file editor, you can then click on each Pokemon to see their IVs and current EVs. If you're only using this to view stats there won't be any risk to your save file, but if you've had trouble finding a working version of VBA for your Chromebook then finding one of these programs might also be quite a challenge.
Regardless, looking forward to seeing how this plays out!
Posted Image
Current Runs (hiatus)

Other runs:

Profile picture courtesy of the amazingly talented and wonderful Tigger!

🌠 Uberle 🌠
Member Avatar
Locke Maker
HOLD UP
Didn't notice this until now
Don't know why, but I'm here now.

That's a lot of reading.
Decent start though.
Not a locke, but still worth checking out
Posted Image
Current Run
No banner thing, but here's a link to Alexandrya Emerald
Stuck with the default avatar? I can help.
Posted Image

Successful Runs

Great Moonstar
Member Avatar

Cool start. Though I must say, it's a bit hard to read, since there aren't any paragraphs and sometimes there are a bunch of actions taking place all separated by a comma. You could work on formatting your texts a bit, so it doesn't look like a wall of text. I hope you don't take this the wrong way, I just want to see you improve!
Also, you don't need to get into the technical part a lot (X used Tackle, I used Growl, X used Leer, I used Tackle, etc) when you're not in an important battle, like when you're just against a random trainer, you can just say how it went in a sentence or so, unless the battle was particularly difficult.
I hope my tips are helpful! Good luck moving forward, I can't wait for when it's time for the first checkpoint!
Posted Image
Things a site says I am

🌠 RubyClaw 🌠
Member Avatar
Challenge seeker
Red Sapphires - Part 1

Comments for all!

Commenting on Sora's Part 1 - Looking good so far. You got some nice mons, but nothing out of the ordinary. By the way I was also sure it was his hair for a very long time and kind of liked it and was even disappointed when I realized it way a beanie.

Ok, here we are. I'm doing this on a PC so luckily for me screenshots are available to me.

Posted Image

Obligatory prof screenshot, because.

Posted Image

That's me. With my white beautiful hair beanie.

Much like Sora I'll be nostalgic as well and use the same Naming theme I used on our first Soul Link together - food items!

Posted Image

This is our main guy randomized by Sora for me. I'm worried it won't hold against his Mudkip so I sure hope I'll get an answer for that. Other than that it is an awesome mon of course.

Nature is neutral, cool why not (better than poor Sora's Jolly, I think).

Posted Image

Posted Image

May and Sora have the same pokemon and same character so I'll see her as an incarnation of him inside my game. First victory :P

And first catch is...

Posted Image

(Almost killed it)

Posted Image

Cool, Zigzagoons are surprisingly useful (and notoriously common). Pickup is nice. Nature is, interesting?

I'll level Pretzel a bit so I could use him to catch my next mon (and not kill it).

Wasn't sure if I should go to Route 102 or 103 first, but based on the available mons and dupes clause I decided I'll go for 102 first. I'll be happy to get a Wingull at this point, it will give me better cover.

Next catch is...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Come on! Third time is my last. Please don't make me lose my mon.

Posted Image

Cool.

Wingull will be very useful. I think it can hold a fight against Sora's Starter thanks to it's types (though I'm not sure), and will also be useful against any bugs he will be getting.

Careful is probably a bad nature, though it is a bit complicated if you look at the very limited move pool it has in gen III. It all depends on whether or not I can get that TM bonus for her.

Next route:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Come on stop teasing me with the dupes! Give me something before I'll lose this catch!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Oh well, there were much cooler options but this little girl shall do. Wonder if it is a Beautifly or Dustox (not sure which is better in my case).

Relaxed is a pretty neutral nature for this critter.

A Lotad would have been amazing both as an answer for Sora's Mudkip, and as a way to deal with Roxanne. I'm not sure if I should even risk Sushi against her with his rock weakness, I hope I'll get a better option later.

Posted Image

Interesting.

Posted Image

Razzberry showing her worth, slaying Zigzagoons on her own.

And...

Posted Image

Checkpoint. See you at the next checkpoint guys and Sora, and after that we'll do our first Cage Match!

Oh and almost forgot,

Team status:
Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

Completed Recorded Runs

🌠 Uberle 🌠
Member Avatar
Locke Maker
The teams are pretty similar now, but I look forward to how they will change over time.
By that I mean switching with more encounters rather than rebuilding from death
Posted Image
Current Run
Posted Image

Successful Runs

Great Moonstar
Member Avatar

RubyClaw
Jan 2 2018, 09:44 AM
phoenixacezero - Prof, I'd put my berries on Sora if I were you. I'm really bad at competitive battles. I hope my bad Nuzlocke skills will make up for it :P

Bad nuzlocking skills *looks at the sheer number of completed runs*
You keep telling yourself that. Nope, i'm not jealous at all :whistling:

A Torchic, Zigzagoon, Wurmple and Wingull team vs Mudkip, Zigzagoon, Poochyena and Wurmple, huh? Hmm... honestly, Sora seems to have a slight advantage here, if only for his starter haha. I wonder how this will play out. So hyped!
Posted Image
Things a site says I am

Alba Corbina
Member Avatar
Conqueror of the Azalea Gym
Looks like you're both off to a good start.

@Sora: If you use Imgur to host your images, you can make the image smaller. When you click on a picture in your Imgur there's an area under all the links that lets you pick different sizes for the image.

@RubyClaw: Well, maybe you'll get a grass type in Petalburg woods
Whitney's Successor: A Normal Monolocke of Heart Gold
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Sandy----------Red Baron----------Simon-----------Bianca------------Athena--------Antauri

On Hiatus

Abandoned Due To Technical Issues

🌠 Sora the Blue man 🌠
Member Avatar
The Hanged Thief,Diath Woodrow
Replies

Ruby got some good catches so lets see if I can do any better this time around
Posted Image
I got images settled now,as you can see,this was my team as of last update,I'm grinding everyone up to five now
Posted Image
And this happened,man,that just sucks since I forgot about Bide this time around,Shenz was the last one who needed grinding,well first death belongs to me
And now I have to help Wally catch his Ralts and with that done,now to Route 104
Posted Image
Nope,I already have one of these thank you
Posted Image
I said no thank you before,I don't want one,I already have one
Posted Image
Man,I have to get this now....
Posted Image
Apparently Amy didn't like it,because she got a critical hit turn two and KOed it,well,thats an encounter lost
Posted Image
Ooh,I like Breloom so this could be useful in the future
Posted Image
Used an Ultra Ball Amy Picked up in the woods
Posted Image
Ouch,this kid was deadly,like Seedot with Bide,Had to use Wurman to string shot it,Poision sting,poision and Crit to take it down,and his Tailow almost destroyed Fennel
Posted Image
Although,Wurman did evolve so now we have a future Dustox,thats going to be useful
Posted Image
Caught this on 116,I've never used a Tailow before so I don't know if its good or bad
Posted Image
And I got careless,I should have been more careful since this thing had Uproar,but no,Wurman can take it down,two deaths on me,hmm,so far a record of the deaths before the first gym for me
Posted Image
I ran out of Pokeballs while trying to catch this,kinda sucks because I like Whismur
Posted Image
This thing got two crits in a row,I'm down to three team members,I have to go train Bulma somewhere she can easily win and that happens to be Petalburgh woods
Everybody is now grinded uo properly,I was already battling Roxxane but we went in with Fennel Lvl 14,Toad Lvl 15 and Bulma Lvl 13
Posted Image
Fennel and Toad will be my key players here,I'm going to have Fennel take out the Geodude,switch out for Toad and Stun Spore and Leech Seed the Nosepass and then back to Fennel
Posted Image
That's done,now to Phase 2
Posted Image
Phase 2 complete,now Fennel just needs to Spam Water Gun now,that's fun
Posted Image
She used her potion so I've been mudslapping it for the past minute
Posted Image
But it goes down like all the rest
Posted Image
Got my badge and my TM (That nobody can use yet)
Posted Image
And the team after the gym
Edited by Sora the Blue man, Jan 2 2018, 03:02 PM.
[/center]
REMEMBER WHO YOU ARE

🌠 Uberle 🌠
Member Avatar
Locke Maker
I keep forgetting how deadly non randomized lockes can be early on
Or maybe you were just unlucky
Who knows?
Posted Image
Current Run
Posted Image

Successful Runs

Great Moonstar
Member Avatar

Hey, don't sweat it! This time around it looks a lot better by the way, you're doing well.
Wow, sadly a lot of pokemon in your team are goners, huh... be careful, Hoenn is quite brutal when you aren't used to it.
I hope things go well for you in the next parts though!
Posted Image
Things a site says I am

Alba Corbina
Member Avatar
Conqueror of the Azalea Gym
Bide is the worst!

Good job w/ Roxanne!
Whitney's Successor: A Normal Monolocke of Heart Gold
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Sandy----------Red Baron----------Simon-----------Bianca------------Athena--------Antauri

On Hiatus

Abandoned Due To Technical Issues

🌠 Spectacles 🌠
Member Avatar
Conqueror of the Fuchsia Gym
Hey guys, this is really cool! This is the first time I'm following a Cage Locke so I'm interested to see how it goes, especially the cage matches. Good luck to both of you! Especially Sora though, since you've already had such terrible luck :(
Banner by the amazing Shiny Dustox!
Posted Image
A Castlocke featuring the characters of Star Wars, who have been turned into Pokemon. Their coping skills vary.

Ever wanted to turn your favorite show, book, or movie into a Nuzlocke?

Other Rulesets

Inaria
Member Avatar
Unleash the Storms
Ouch, a couple of early deaths always hurts. Not that late-game deaths don't hurt just as bad, but when you don't have a full party and things start going wrong...
Things are going to get a little exciting~
Bah, swho needs to keep it friendly? Just smile as you each tear each other's teams apart! Muhahahaha!
I'll also from the first cagelocke match start separating you both when I comment.
So I can direct the comments easier. c:
Edited by Inaria, Jan 2 2018, 06:53 PM.
I am...
Posted Image
Lost and confused...
Posted Image
The hottest Reality TV show in Kanto!
This run will be restarted/continued at some point.

CoolJosh2002
No Avatar
In a world where crits come up the arse.
Never read a cagelocke before. Seems interesting. Following.

🌠 RubyClaw 🌠
Member Avatar
Challenge seeker
Red Sapphires - Part 2

Comments!

Comments about Sora's Part - Ouch, that was really bloody, honestly sorry man (as I already told you). Still although your team is small most of the important mons made it, and I'm honestly quite worried about what answer I can give to some of them if you choose to send them into the match. But I guess we'll find out soon!

Posted Image

You welcome dude. I wish I had a Ralts...

It's time to get some new blood into the team.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Route 104, chances are not very good that I'll get a new catch (which is a shame as I love Taillow). In fact chances are about... 27.1% if I did my calculations right. I still get the last mon as a Dupes no matter what and it goes to the PC as a backup which could be useful, but let's be hopeful.

Posted Image

Nope and nope. *sigh, last chance?

Posted Image

Oh well.

Biscuit has better nature than Pretzel, but I'm not allowed to choose for now according to the rules, so Biscuit goes to the PC.

Posted Image

Posted Image

A Taillow critical hit Sushi! That was way too close. One of many close calls.

Posted Image

Pretzel being very-very useful, bringing me Ultra balls, some sweet heals, etc.

Posted Image

Cascoon, interesting. I'm usually much more fond of Dustox. But this time... I'm honestly not sure. Beautifuly was probably the better options with all his spores and powders, but still, I love Dustoxes so I don't mind.

Next chance for a good pokemon, come on!

Posted Image

Damn a Dupes (After a Zigzagoon and a Wurmple), and I don't have an answer for Roxanne now. This is bad, and means Sushi is my main chance against her. This will require some luck and potions to maneuver but is theoretically possible (I did it once before in a run where I wasn't allowed to keep my starter).

I can't even check if this bugger is a Beautifuly cause of dupes clause.

Posted Image

The box is getting crowded quite early.

Posted Image

Like Sora said, I guess it will wait in the TM case.

Posted Image

Woohoo!

Posted Image

Another item I can't use.

Route 116 has some really nice options, still none of them will save me from Roxanne... I am hoping for a Taillow like Sora got, but the chances are not that high.

First attempt.

Posted Image

Omg! Woohoo!

That does make things more interesting for the cage match, I'm really not sure who I should send out to it honestly (I thought about this much, and obviously I won't write here what I decided, but I wasn't sure if I will go for the safer option or the riskier one). First let's see who survives Roxanne.

Called it Cheese, cause it is blue. Nice Nature.

And my guaranteed cave catch of course:

Posted Image

Another useful nature. Welcome to the team Cupcake.

Full party!

That is good, though has downsides in our rule set as I can't get anyone new in without losing or intentionally sacrificing anyone on my team. But let's not get a head of ourselves here, we have more urgent problems now.

Grinded my team up and after many considerations (And actually discussing this with my very kind partner Sora), I decided I'll go with Sushi all the way and not switch for debuff, and hope for the best.

Let's go Roxanne

(Am I the only that thinks of this song when I hear her name? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3T1c7GkzRQQ, might be cause I'm old.)

Posted Image

That was really easy, now for the real challenge.

(This was long so I'll only show you bits).

Posted Image

Posted Image

It took 3 potions, 2 super potions (thanks Pretzel for picking those up, I almost missed the fact I had those and didn't use them in the beginning, which was rather stupid), many misses on both sides, and a bit of luck and bad AI...

Posted Image

We made it!

Posted Image

Don't look at me like that Roxanne.

Team Status:

Posted Image

So we both of us got to our checkpoint and you know what this means. First Cage Match!

I hope in the next few hours, or even before, me and Sora will both be available. If we will, we'll give you a rather short heads up and try to link the battle here while we do it (it is our first time so bear with us if things don't work).

Anyway we'll keep a record of the battle here and post it so don't worry, you won't miss it.

See you soon!
Posted ImagePosted Image

Completed Recorded Runs

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Completed Screenshot and Written Log Runs · Next Topic »
Add Reply