Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
The Pride Month Create-a-thon has now begun! Don't forget to check out Featured Fan Runs - this run really shouldn't be Lost in the Stream!
Nuzlocke Comics
Welcome to the Nuzlocke Forums. We hope you enjoy your visit. We're a community based off the popular "Nuzlocke Challenge", a way of playing the PokÚmon video game series on a higher level of difficulty. What is it exactly? Join us and find that out, and more!

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Pokemon Generations; Running through one game each generation in order!
Topic Started: Jun 8 2018, 07:12 AM (471 Views)
Hexagonite
Member Avatar
Conqueror of the Pewter Gym
So I'm Hex. And I'm being absolutely, completely ridiculous. My plan is to run through one game each generation of Pokemon, nuzlocking as I go. Which... is quite the endeavor. Considering that if I fail at one game, I'm counting the whole thing as failed. I don't have quite enough confidence in my creativity to do something with actual plot, so you're getting commentary. Plus an updated team image each update, so hurrah.

Pokemon Blue | 1 / 7

Rules
Spoiler: click to toggle

Updates

Pokemon Gold | 2/7

Rules

Updates

Blue Update 1
Edited by Hexagonite, Jun 22 2018, 12:28 PM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

lisalo
No Avatar
Conqueror of the Celadon Gym
Why would you abandon a Nido? Having a Nidoqueen before Surge, even if its STABs suck before EQ at Sylph, means easy mode early on and all the coverage you could want later on.
http://s7.zetaboards.com/Nuzlocke_Forum/topic/8958008/1/#new

QuietGuardian
Member Avatar
Conqueror of the Violet Gym
You're right; Nuzlocking seven games in a row is quite the endeavor. But it's not impossible, so go for it!

Not a bad start to your Nuzlocking career. The written log is a little simplistic (feel free to expand upon things as you continue through the game), but at least you covered most of the important stuff. Plus, I love the team image at the end! It's both informative and pretty! Are those images that you made, or did you get them somewhere?
Current Runs

Completed Runs

On Hiatus

Hexagonite
Member Avatar
Replies

So it turns out that Leichi wasn't the first one to be replaced on the team! Route 3 brought me both a bunch of levels (trainer gauntlets are sometimes fantastic) and a Spearow. I much prefer Fearow, for Pidgeot's obviously lacking movepool, so a quick trip back to Pewter City provided me with a much better flying type. It's nice to have an actually-flying-type move before level 35, even if it wasn't particularly useful for Mount Moon. I grinded Asparagus up to level with the rest of the team before heading into the mountain, figuring he could at least be helpful against some of the Rockets. I didn't bother with the Magikarp - I can't get a decent rod for awhile, so I figured I would just pick one up in Vermillion later.

Mt. Moon brought me a fantastic gem, which would end up replacing Leichi - Walnut the Geodude. I switch trained him during my trip through the mountain, mostly relying on Blueberry to get my way through. Turns out that Geodude can be absolutely slaughtered by Water Gun before abilities existed. Who would've guessed. None of the Rockets really put up a fight, minus the one guy with the Raticate in the basement. He was a little ridiculous, but at that point Walnut was a high enough level to tank a hit from Hyper Fang while I got Plum healed up. She took out the rat with a Hyper Fang of her own. Fossil guy was a breeze thanks to Fennel, and we picked up a Helix Fossil on our way through.

Route 4 gave me Mint the Sandshrew. One of my favourite ground types (overall, not just in Gen 1), she stayed in the box. For now Walnut was on my team, and I didn't really feel like grinding another level 10 up to almost Misty's level. I took on my rival, Blue, in Cerulean City. I absolutely wiped the floor with his team, letting Walnut take out the Abra to gain some more experience. That thing will eventually be scary, but for now it's basically useless. Nugget Bridge was another wonderful gauntlet of trainers, earning my team a few levels. The Rocket at the end was a breeze as well, and the free money is always appreciated.

Route 24 is officially my favourite place in Kanto for the time being. First encounter? Abra. ABRA. And I caught her with a Pokeball. Lemon instantly joined my team, and was promptly switch-trained up to a Kadabra so she could hold her own before venturing to Route 25. I got Fennel and Asparagus up to level 20 during this endeavor, since they were the best options to take out the Bellsprout that also plague Route 24. And Route 25, which is where I met Radish the Bellsprout. He's still in the box for the time being - I don't need a grass type quite yet.

Unfortunately, Route 25 wasn't as friendly as Route 24. While doing a bit of training in the grass before taking on all the trainers, I made the unfortunate decision to keep Walnut in on a Bellsprout. Not really sure why - probably the speed up button. But ultimately it was my choice, and my fault when he perished to a single Vine Whip. I ran with only five Pokemon for the rest of the route, easily defeating the trainers and rescuing Bill from his fate as a Clefairy. By that point I was almost ready for Misty, and did the last bit of my grinding on Route 24.

Misty was almost as easy as Brock. Lemon easily took down her Staryu in two hits of Confusion, and managed to confuse her Starmie before having to be switched out. Plum finished the starfish off with a Hyper Fang and a Quick Attack, thankfully avoiding any serious damage. All in all it was a rather uneventful gym battle.

Posted Image

just a guy
No Avatar
quite cool run dude. i have to use that nuzlocke generator.
no idea you could get the nidos so soon in blue. neither that metapod evolved at level 12. weird times must had been those.
i would recommend you to train radish. grass types are always good to have around.
(sorry for walnut)

phoenixacezero
Member Avatar
zen hero infinity
Dante: Rip Walnut.

Hexagonite
Member Avatar
Replies

Turns out that the time between Misty and Surge isn't particularly long, especially when you're trying to be on-par with the gym leaders for levels. After beating Misty I headed down to Route 5, looking for my next catch. Thanks to my duplicates rule there weren't too many options for me, and I managed to land one of my favourite normal types: Peach the Meowth. Sadly for Plum, she was promptly stored in the box in favour of my new Meowth. Sucks to be her, awesome for me.

Route 6 provided exactly zero new catches, thanks to my lack of a fishing rods and my dupes clause. No new Pokemon in the grass, and I couldn't pick up anything in the water. The few trainers were nice to battle and get Peaches some much-needed experience, but that's about it. Still haven't gone back, come to think of it. But Blueberry is a great water type, so whatever.

Vermillion City gave me the Old Rod, plus a Magikarp that I named Orange. Probably never going to see the outside of the box due to Gyarados's lack of water moves, but at least it's a dupe. Hopefully he'll save me some time later on. Other than that I left the city, eager to pursue my inevitable Drowzee on Route 11. And... then promptly killed it with a crit Bubblebeam from Blueberry. Fantastic. Here's where I completely forgot to visit Diglet's Cave, and moved onto the S.S. Anne.

The ship proved to be pretty uneventful. Lots of trainers, lots of items, a couple breaks to run off the boat and go heal. I put Mint in my party partway through the slog, realizing that my party was going to out-level Surge if I didn't add another member to train. Thankfully I love Sandshrew, even with the lack of ground type moves without a TM. I didn't bother to teach her Dig just yet, since I wasn't planning on having her be at the right level to really help out in the gym fight. The rival battle was mostly okay, other than his Kadabra nearly slaughtering half my team. The thing was fast, and Confusion is annoyingly strong with STAB. Peaches ended up taking it out, with only a sliver of health remaining. Good choice to pick her up - I doubt Plum could've done the same.

Surge's gym was surprisingly easy, now that I was leveled up. I (somehow) managed to get the trash puzzle right on the first attempt, which meant I didn't have to spend twenty minutes fiddling around trying to guess the right switches. Hurray for me. His team went down ridiculously easily, thanks to Lemon and Peach. The rest of the team didn't see any action, due to either an electric type weakness or being under-leveled.

Posted Image

Raikaria
Member Avatar
MojoJojo... Get It?
I'll probobly be keeping an eye on this when I can. I actually tried this in the past myself; but only got as far as Gen 2 with it's hellish grinds after a death due to joke-tier wild levels before burnout set in.

That said Gen 1 was one of my few successful Nuzlockes and resulted in one of the most glorious teams I've used in a Nuzlocke. 2 Arbok man.
Edited by Raikaria, Jun 12 2018, 12:18 PM.

Hexagonite
Member Avatar

Surge to Erika is another relatively small level jump, in the grand scheme of things! Turns out that you can get a lot done in a short amount of levels though, as I quickly found out. My first stop after beating the electric gym was north to Cerulean, to both pick up a bike and head east. The former was a quick exchange, and a stop at the Pokemon Center to drop off the newly acquired item in the PC. Biking at 1000% speed is hard, and I rather enjoy my speedup button. Route 9 was... entirely dupes. Nothing new for me to pick up, so it was a blast through the trainers to get Mint up to level and then onto Route 10.

Route 10, on the other hand, had exactly one new Pokemon that I could access. Voltorb. Amusingly, it was also my flat-out first encounter. After a rather uneventful battle (and one bite from Peach), Grapefruit the Voltorb had joined my PC box. Not super interested in picking up an electric type, considering the gym it would be most useful for has already passed. I figured I would leave my party the way it was for the time being, and come back to the box if I ended up losing someone.

Route 10 leads to Rock Tunnel. And honestly, thank Arceus for maps. I really didn't want to go pick up flash, teach it to someone, and have them be stuck with a crappy HM for all eternity. So I just used an online map to figure out my way around! Plus, I finally caught the inevitable Zubat. Basil joined everyone else in the PC. He would stand a much better chance of being on the team if Golbat could actually learn Fly. But it can't, so he's destined to live in the box unless something utterly terrible happens. The rest of the cave was no big deal, other than a few close calls with Mint's health. Sandshrew isn't the least fragile, though it got a little better once she evolved.

The light at the end of the tunnel: Lavender Town. I popped into the tower long enough to kick my rival in the face before moving on - the area is useless without the Silph Scope. But the lack of a Pokeflute means there's only one direction for me: toward Celadon City! Route 8 has exactly one patch of grass, and exactly one new encounter: Vulpix. I picked up Chili in an easy fight (after being incredibly thankful that Vulpix doesn't learn roar), pounded the trainers with pay day for some extra cash, and moved onto the city.

The largest city in Kanto had its fair share of things for me to do. Stop one was the Rocket Hideout, to get that maze out of the way as extra training before Erika. Not everyone was level 29 yet, so it was a worthy endeavor. Amusingly, the Pokemon least-good against a grass gym were the ones who got their bulk of their training here. Fennel, Asparagus and Lemon had already hit the gym leader's max before reaching the city. Got a bunch of good items out of the whole schebang, and exactly as many levels as I wanted. Super convenient, since grinding on wilds is annoying. After the Rocket Hideout was the gym! Asparagus breezed through the trainers and I spoke to Erika without going back to heal. Turns out it wouldn't bite me in the butt, so that's good news. Asparagus made quick work of her Tangela, and got most of the way through Victreebel before wrap got his health too low. So I switched out to Lemon, who proceeded to slaughter the Victreebel and the Vileplume. Another badge down, and I'm halfway through Kanto already! The problem is that the next few gyms are harder, with a steeper level curve. Which means... more grinding.

Posted Image

phoenixacezero
Member Avatar
zen hero infinity
Professor Xion: RAINBOWBADGE GET and a rare Pokemon get. Next stop- A pokemon Graveyard.

Hexagonite
Member Avatar
Fun fact: The gameplay for Blue is already done! I finished it last night, despite how far behind I still am in the updates. I'm moving onto Gen 2 shortly, with some new additions to the rules.

No new gym badge in this update. The amount of stuff that goes down after Celadon is nuts, and I had to split it into two to preserve my own sanity. First stop after beating the Celadon gym was the mart, to pick up some more items. Turns out that using Pay Day to destroy wild Pokemon nets you a fair bit of cash, and I sure as heck wasn't getting rid of it this soon into the game. I didn't pick up any evolution stones - my current team didn't need any, and I didn't want to spend the money. I did buy a bunch of balls and potions, to maybe entice myself to grind in better places that don't necessarily have such easy access to a Pokemon Center. Spoiler: It didn't work.

After that I headed east, through Saffron City. I gave the guard a Fresh Water so he could share with his buddies - the leftovers from giving a little girl on the roof way too much sugar. I picked up the Psychic TM while I was there, before continuing my journey to Lavender Town. I had the Silph Scope now, so it was time to fight some ghosts. I'd already beaten my rival in the tower, so I just strolled my way up to the third floor, which is when the real battles would start. Didn't take me long to pick up Garlic the Gastly. Disappointed in the lack of a Haunter. And I don't even know why, considering my plans to keep my team the same until the end of the game. I'm just weird that way.

All the trainers in the Tower provided excellent experience for Lemon and Fennel, with their psychic type moves. And the healing spot halfway up made for an awesome spot to get a little bit of training in, knowing that I wanted to be 35 before going up against Giovanni in Saffron. The Marowak was a breeze with Fennel's newly-acquired grass type move, and I made my way upstairs to rescue Fuji from the clutches of Rockets. He gave me the Pokeflute when we got back down to his house, which meant I could finally head south of the city and go take a look at the routes that made up the less-annoying route to Fuchsia City. A quiet jaunt south gave me Cabbage the Venonat, at the patch of grass by the maze of fences. I picked up the Super Rod on my way, but my main goal was getting myself to the next city to provide a frame of reference for flying there next time. With that mission accomplished, I headed back to Saffron to take on the longest portion of this update: Silph Co.

My approach to the building is usually pretty simple. Defeat every Rocket I can reach without using the teleporters, and then unlock the gates and do it all again. A bit tedious, but I hate the teleporters enough that I'm willing to bare with the tedium. There was one close call when a Rocket had his Electrode use self destruct! It left Mint at only a sliver of health. Apparently Sandslash can tank more than I always thought they could, considering that happened another three times in this building! As soon as I picked up the Earthquake TM it became Mint's, and for good reason. Sandslash doesn't learn any ground type moves by levelup, and I'd been avoiding Dig for precisely this reason. Despite their same base power in Gen 1.

The rival battle was a little scarier this time. Most of his Pokemon were slaughtered by my team in one or two hits. And then there was that Kadabra. The stupid thing got four of my Pokemon down to low health before its Psybeam missed Mint, giving her a chance to jump in and Earthquake it to death. Psychic types are ridiculous in Gen 1. Which is why I'm not annoyed about Fennel's main attacking move also being Psychic type, despite Lemon existing. I picked up Fig the Lapras after beating up Blue. Here I had a choice to make. Did I want to keep Blueberry on the team, or replace him with Fig? I ended up doing the former, and didn't go back to grab my new water type before facing down Giovanni. He was an easy battle, with each of his Pokemon besides Kangaskhan going down in a single hit. That one took two slashes from Mint before falling. I got the Master Ball, and promptly deposited it in the PC.

Next episode: Safari zone and a gym battle!

Posted Image

Kyle1717
Member Avatar
Conqueror of the Cinnabar Gym
Glad to see that Blue is going well so far for you. I've actually been Nuzlocking each of the 7 generations myself, and it's super rewarding albeit pretty intense Hope that things continue to go smoothly.
Posted Image

just a guy
No Avatar
i really don't know how are you gonna beat sabrina. not only she's tough in third gen, but in the first gen she's broken as her pokemon type. good luck with that. seeing that there is no levitation and the fact that you have two psychic types, will be easy cake.

Hexagonite
Member Avatar
Replies

After getting the Master Ball, the next thing I had to do was make my way back to Fuchsia City. Koga is an easier fight than Sabrina, despite having aces of the same level. Mostly because I have dual access to psychic moves, which are fantastic against poison types and not so great against an Alakazam. This time I headed west, making my way down Cycling Road. I needed to get there for the levels eventually anyway, so it might as well be now. The bikers were easy fights - lots of poison types to test my Kadabra against and nothing overly strong. Other than a few close calls with Mint and stupid exploding Koffings - three times she was brought down into the red by a poison type that decided to explode. Not fantastic.

Once I had Fuchsia (again), I headed straight to the Safari Zone. New catches are always great, and I might end up with a Dratini. Dropped my Super Rod into the water in the main area, and ended up with Cherry the Krabby. Not what I'd hoped for, but narrowed Zone 3 down to three total options which is great. The first area gave me Rutabaga the Doduo, and a Rhyhorn ran away from me in Zone 2. Zone 3 gave me gold teeth, Surf, and Watermelon the Slowpoke from the lake. I'd missed out on a Dratini, which sucked, but at least I'd done the mandatory quest for HMs. I traded in the teeth for Strength, and popped into the gym to take out the regular trainers.

After that was done I headed back to the west to train up on wild birds. Lemon and Mint were going to be my assets for Koga, but I wanted everyone at-level just in case. I was fine with taking on Koga at five levels below his ace, and it would prevent me from over-levelling for Sabrina. So I headed in at level 38, ready to take on the poison master. His two Koffings fell in a single hit from Lemon each. His Muk went down in another 2 hits, and Asparagus took out the Weezing. Koga down, Toxic and his badge get. Awesome, and I was halfway done my levelling for Sabrina.

Posted Image

As a special treat, you guys also get the next update now. Turned out that Safari Zone and Koga was shorter than I thought it would be, and I don't want to give you guys something so small. One of the first things I did was utilize my emulator's trade function to evolve Lemon. A quick trade to another copy of Blue and a trade back and I had an Alakazam! If I'm going to take on Sabrina, I needed something stronger than a Kadabra. And Alakazam is definitely that. Other than that, there was a heck of a lot of grinding. I absolutely needed to be level 43 before taking on Sabrina, with no exceptions. Fennel had been a level behind for Koga, but that wasn't going to fly for one of the hardest gym battles in the game.

Blueberry was the first to get up to level. Lemon got up to level by fighting the gym trainers, and everyone else (minus Peach) spent time in Pokemon Tower. All of them had easy methods to kill ghosts, making the third? floor with its healing square a great place to grind. Peach took her time outside of Fuchsia, but eventually everyone was up at level 43. Which meant it was time to take on Sabrina.

Kadabra was the first one up, and the first to fall. Peach took it out with a single Bite - the psychic type's fragility definitely worked against it. Venomoth was up next, which meant it was Asparagus's turn to shine. The bug fell in a single Drill Peck, which was expected. Fearow's a powerful Pokemon, and Venomoth... not so much. Mr. Mime was brought out next, Sabrina saving her ace for last. Lemon took it out with two Psychics, which meant it was time for the scariest thing Sabrina had. I switched out Mint, hoping that the Sandslash could get off an Earthquake and take out Alakazam in a single hit. I wasn't quiet so lucky - the psychic type was left at a sliver of health. And it retaliated with Psychic. Mint tanked it - somehow - and was left with her health in the yellow. Don't know how, but it worked. Mint hit it with another Earthquake, and it fell.

Sabrina, beaten.

Posted Image

just a guy
No Avatar
dude, that could have waaaaay worst. especially because of the fact that the critical hits in gen 1 depended on speed and Alakazam is F A S T. But, seeing everything from this update, you will be really fine my dude. good luck with blaine and giovanni (although you don't need it ;)

Hexagonite
Member Avatar
Not many gyms left in Kanto. Only Blain and Giovanni left, and neither of them is particularly difficult with a Blastoise on my team. Still, I had to make it to Cinnabar Island before I could do anything. I headed south from Pallet Town, knowing exactly what my catch would end up being. Tentacool, of course. Tentacruel was a possibility, but just barely onto the route I encountered Kale the Tentacool. Not a huge deal; I already had a water type, and I wasn't about to give him up for a jellyfish any time soon. Fennel took down a few trainers on my way to the island, and we arrived basically without a scratch. Turns out that Gen 1 level curves leave you basically invulnerable to wilds.

Once I visited the Pokemon Center, it was time to have a little fun with Gen 1. To grind my Pokemon up closer to the level of Blain's ace, I needed encounters. And what better place to get encounters than on the shore of Cinnabar Island, where there was a Pokemon Center just a few steps away? Plus, Cinnabar Island has this fun little strip of land that pulls the encounter table from the last place you visited. So I flew to Fuchsia City, and hopped into the Safari Zone for a minute. There are some decently strong Pokemon there, and most of them are easily defeated by my team. Then I flew back to Cinnabar, and threw myself into the sea. Turns out there was a Rhyhorn there, thanks to my encounter table trick, and I caught Sugar as my Cinnabar Island catch.

After some grinding there I popped into the mansion in search of another encounter and the secret key to the gym. How the gym trainers ever left to eat I have no idea, but I feel bad for them. I caught Strawberry the Ponyta in the mansion. Little disappointed I didn't get a Magmar, but again, not planning on changing my team up anyway. I got the secret key and got out, grinding along the coast of Cinnabar until I was ready to take on the gym. The fire types fell about as easily as you would expect considering I have a Sandslash with Earthquake, though Blueberry got to take down some of the gym trainers as well. Blain was just as easy - all three of his Pokemon fell to a single Earthquake each. Mint is actually faster than both Rapidash and Arcanine, which was a little unexpected. I'll take the easy victory though. I grabbed my badge and headed back to the water to train - Giovanni's gym had no plot or anything leading up to it, which meant I had to train now. But that gym comes next update, along with probably the Elite Four.

Posted Image

just a guy
No Avatar
next update? this willbe good. giovanni is really weak. and the e4? forgetting about Lance, it will be easy man.
Sandlash faster than Arcanine and Rapidash. Who would said so? Not me, that's for sure. anyway, good luck.

Hexagonite
Member Avatar

So, there's a grand total of one gym and the Elite Four left to take on. Not a big deal; Giovanni's a pushover, and as long as I'm decently-levelled Blue isn't that hard either. The first thing I did was train up on Cinnabar Island to take on Giovanni. There's a level jump but no plot gap in between him and Blain, so it was a pretty boring grind. Utilizing the Safari Zone's encounter table made things a little easier, since the Pokemon are decently leveled and an easy defeat for my team. Then I headed into Giovanni's gym, and proceeded to utterly destroy his gym trainers. A quick pop back to the Center to heal, and I was ready to take on the boss man himself. It wasn't a hard fight, with Blueberry taking down everything but his Kangaskhan in a single hit. That thing hurt a little bit, getting in a shot or two on the Blastoise before falling. Earth badge: get. Victory Road was next.

Victory Road wasn't any harder than Giovanni. I got through the cave quickly, despite how annoying the boulder puzzles are. I ignored Moltres for the time being, not wanting to deal with the bird under after I could fly back and forth from the League itself. Once I healed up I headed back in, and took down Moltres surprisingly easily. It fell in a Surf and a Bubblebeam - apparently the legendary birds aren't all that legendary. Up next was a pop over to Cinnabar Island, this time borrowing the encounter table from Victory Road. It was a much more convenient location for grinding than the cave itself, which made the next five level grind a lot faster. Once everyone was sitting at 55, I flew back to the League and bought a crap ton of hyper potions and full restores. 55 is ten levels under Blue, after all, and I might end up needing the healing items.

Lorelei was the first challenge. Teaching Peach Thunderbolt had been a good decision for this battle - she tore through the water types with ease, especially since she was a higher level than half of Lorelei's team. Everything but the Jynx fell in a single hit. It took two hits of Slash to bring down the ice type. Turns out that having only one Pokemon that doesn't share an electricity weakness on your team isn't a good move when you're in the Elite Four. Still, that was one down and four to go.

Bruno was next. Blueberry handled both of his Onix. Fennel is doubly weak to rock type attacks, and I didn't want to risk sending her out and having her hit by Rock Throw. Lemon took care of Hitmonchan because of Thunder Punch, with Asparagus taking out Hitmonlee and Machamp. Bruno was mostly higher leveled than me, though it didn't make the fight much harder. Exploiting type effectiveness is really the key to winning in Gen 1, apparently. That and psychic type being absolutely ridiculous.

Agatha was only slightly more annoying. Neither of her Gengar has much in the way of ghost type moves, making it significantly harder for her to take on Lemon. The Alakazam tore through her entire team, everything falling to a single Psychic. I probably could have used Psybeam instead, but I didn't want to take chances with my strongest Pokemon. Alakazam are hard to come by, and I didn't want to lose one now. Despite the annoyance of hypnosis, Agatha was by far the easiest battle in the Elite Four.

Lance, on the other hand... He's actually scary. Dragon is about the only type more OP than Psychic in Gen 1, thanks to its resistance to Water, Fire and Electric. Bit of a pain if I'm being honest. His Gyarados was a quick battle - Peach took it out with a Thunderbolt. Dragonair was slightly harder, considering the lack of ice type attacks on my team. Really should've picked one of those up. Thankfully for me, Peach handled one of them with Slash and Mint took out the other. Hyper Beam is rather painful, especially to a Sandslash, but she managed to pull through with a sliver of health after her first Slash didn't quite do the job. Aerodactyl was a quick fight, falling to a Surf and a Bubblebeam from Blueberry. And now it was time for the scary part: Dragonite. Blueberry tanked the first Hyper Beam, retaliating with Surf while the dragon recharged. He tanked the second one, and I switched into Fennel to Toxic on the recharge turn. The AI went for Slam this time, and Fennel pulled through with only a tiny bit of health. A quick switch into Asparagus was next, and a Hyper Beam that missed. Drill peck while Dragonite had to recharge, and then Fly for the turn where the beam would've hit. That's about all it took and the dragon was (thankfully) down. My team was a little worse for the wear, but no one had fainted. Which left me with only Blue.

My rival's team ranged from four to 10 levels ahead of me, with an Alakazam. It scared me only slightly less than Lance's Dragonite - just as powerful, but with considerably less health and defense. Peach took out Pidgeot with a single Thunderbolt, and I switched into Mint for Alakazam. One Earthquake wasn't quite enough to take it out, and Sandslash narrowly avoided death-by-psychic. Blue and I both healed up on the next turn, and this time I used Slash. The crit was enough to take Alakazam out, and I kept Mint in to handle Arcanine. It actually fell to a single Earthquake (thank you ground type weakness), and Peach was switched back in for Gyarados. Blueberry handled Rhydon without issue, and Asparagus took out Venusaur in two drill pecks.

The entirety of the Elite Four - plus the Champion - had been defeated. Pokemon Blue was finished, and it was time to put my team in the Champion box and move onto my next game. Next up: Gold!

Posted Image

just a guy
No Avatar
I have a question for you: are you gonna complete both parts of gold or only first one?
are ya gonna beat red too or you will stop at Lance?
Pick Chikorita, just for the extra dificulty.

Hexagonite
Member Avatar

With my run of Blue being a success, it was time to move onto Gen 2. I used a random number generator to choose between Gold, Silver and Crystal. It told me to pick Gold, so I did. It also told me to pick Cyndaquil. Which was a bit of a relief, honestly. Chikorita is a nightmare for the first few gyms, and Johto has some grass types that I really enjoy. Though I do plan on saving Jumpluff for a generation where it's not quite so... useless. I grabbed my starter from Elm, and gave him a name. Pepper seemed fitting enough, considering that most peppers and spicy and spicy goes with fire types. I ran through the whole 'Go get this egg!' 'Oh no, Totodile has been stolen' story, and absolutely curb-stomped my rival in Cherrygrove. Which makes sense, considering I was level 8 and he was level 5. I went back to Elm and grabbed my Pokedex and Pokeballs, which meant that my next trip onto Route 29 would net me a new team member. Unless I killed it, which was a possibility.

Thankfully for me, no one died. I ended up with Rosemary the Pidgey. Again, not a huge fan of Pidgeot. And Crobat can learn Fly in this generation, so Rosemary was getting replaced if I was ever motivated enough to get a Zubat to 13 where it could start to be useful. A trip to Route 46 gave me Wine the Rattata. After that I hit up Cherrygrove, grabbing some status healers and a few more Pokeballs. I'd picked up enough potions to be content with them at this point, so I moved onto Route 30. And then had the abrupt realization that I couldn't get a catch from here. In Gold, the only Pokemon available on Route 30 during the day are Caterpie, Pidgey and Rattata. I'd already caught two of those, and Butterfree was on my champion team for Blue which left Caterpie off limits. I didn't linger here, and quickly moved onto Route 31.

There I had one option for a catch: Bellsprout. So I jumped into Dark Cave first, to see if I could land myself a Dunsparce. I wasn't nearly so lucky, and got Salt the Geodude instead. Would be fantastic for Falkner if I were willing to over-level, since he learns Rock Throw at 12. But since I'm limiting myself to level 9, and both of Falkner's Pokemon had Mud-Slap, Salt wasn't going to be as useful for the first gym as he would be for the second. Route 31 granted me Oregano, my inevitable Bellsprout. Gen 2's desire to never let me get evolution stones until Kanto would be annoying if I decided to keep him on the team. But he would stay if I didn't end up with any grass types that are more useful in Gen 2 (which sadly leaves out Hoppip).

I got everyone a few levels and headed off to Falkner's gym at a pitiful level 9. He was... a surprisingly hard fight. Turns out that Pidgeotto is a pain in the butt when it's half the level it should be, fighting against things its own level. My trick was to absolutely destroy its accuracy with Rosemary, since she couldn't get hit by Mud-Slap. Once it couldn't land a hit I could take it out with a combination of her and Wine, leaving most of the team with no combat time in this gym fight. Which, considering it's a flying type with a ground type move, made sense considering weaknesses. I got my first badge, and was ready to pick up my Togepi egg and move on.

Posted Image

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Screenshot and Written Log Runs · Next Topic »
Add Reply